Neptune update!

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
wellman

18 Feb 2015

Hi!

Im working right now with a song for a client and the singer is not the best singer of the world, and it has been really hard to make Neptune to do the job. I cheked this video..: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqGW29_R9g

and saw how easy is to work with Nectar from izotope, since its interface and its "capture" function are amazing, and make the workflow pretty fast. So my request to the PHs is..please could you guys make something like that for Neptune?!?!?! 

Lunesis

18 Feb 2015

My request is, stop working with bad singers. Haha, jk Image but yeah, neptune is good for pitch shifting and even that is questionable. I have the feeling somebody will come out with an RE soon, but you would have to be able to pre-render audio instead of trying to adjust it in real time, which is not something rack devices can do at the moment.. so latency is going to have a huge result on the outcome until they find more ways to look ahead or to make RE's interact with the sequencer.

wellman

18 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:My request is, stop working with bad singers. Haha, jk Image but yeah, neptune is good for pitch shifting and even that is questionable. I have the feeling somebody will come out with an RE soon, but you would have to be able to pre-render audio instead of trying to adjust it in real time, which is not something rack devices can do at the moment.. so latency is going to have a huge result on the outcome until they find more ways to look ahead or to make RE's interact with the sequencer.
Well that's why we dont need a RE but a device created by Propellerhead for Reason, that can interact with the sequencer just as Neptune does.... is that possible?? 

Concep

18 Feb 2015

I think Propellerheads needs to build an offline solution of their own or create a partnership with someone like Melodyne to create an enhancement to Reason that can handle pitch correction.  They should make it so you can right click on a clip and select something like "Offline Pitch Correction" or however they want to brand it.  Any edits would then be bounced to a new clip that would appear as the active clip like in comp mode.  This is probably the single biggest wish I have for future versions of Reason.

Lunesis

18 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:My request is, stop working with bad singers. Haha, jk Image but yeah, neptune is good for pitch shifting and even that is questionable. I have the feeling somebody will come out with an RE soon, but you would have to be able to pre-render audio instead of trying to adjust it in real time, which is not something rack devices can do at the moment.. so latency is going to have a huge result on the outcome until they find more ways to look ahead or to make RE's interact with the sequencer.
wellman wrote:
Well that's why we dont need a RE but a device created by Propellerhead for Reason, that can interact with the sequencer just as Neptune does.... is that possible?? 
Yeah, it's possible. Not sure why they made it as a rack, but they should surely have it both ways. If they can do audio quantize they should be able to do pitch correction.

Higor

18 Feb 2015

i do it manually through Adobe CS6. No magic solutions.

Higor

10 Mar 2015

I shouldn't have commented anything without having used the product, sorry. I tried for the first time in my voice and I was quite surprised. Keeps the notes where they need to be. Maybe not as perfect as if I did it manually but still good. The trick is know the right key of the song and use smooth settings in Neptune, otherwise it will become an effect instead a correction.

eusti

10 Mar 2015

I would love Melodyne and RX 4 integration with Reason... Shuffling stuff back and forth is annoying... :P

D.

Sinistereo

10 Mar 2015

eusti wrote:I would love any ability to integrate other tools with Reason... Shuffling stuff back and forth is annoying... :P
Fixed that for you.  ;)

eusti

10 Mar 2015

eusti wrote:I would love any ability to integrate other tools with Reason... Shuffling stuff back and forth is annoying... :P
Sinistereo wrote:
Fixed that for you.  ;)
Yeah, that's fine with me... That's the two I use most for the stuff I'm doing at the moment... ;)

D.

Higor

11 Mar 2015

This is my vocal line with no Neptune. I should be singing the notes A, B, C# and A. They are a little higher from where they should be.

This is with Neptune On. Now the notes are right and with a little sustain.

And this is the Neptune settings i'm using:

I did this test with three other samples from my song and Neptune improve them all. Perhaps works better on specific voices and genres.
Attachments
NepTune_(Settings).jpg
NepTune_(Settings).jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 1642 times

Higor

11 Mar 2015

Just about the last post... i would disable the low freq option.
And this is what happens when the wide vibrato option is disabled:

It kills the natural expression because it becomes too precise.

Well... In the end i think is better have some slightly neptune on the vocals than nothing. And if you feel there is something not quite good you can disable neptune just for that part or ride an automation to solve the problem.
Attachments
NepTune_(Wide_Vibrato_Off).jpg
NepTune_(Wide_Vibrato_Off).jpg (100.14 KiB) Viewed 1616 times

mbfrancis

24 Mar 2015

I have a few major problems with Neptune.  First it's lousy on low voices - I get a ton of artifacts, it messes up the signal, even at conservative settings.  The other thing is that it's really hard to toggle easily.  With Bypass you get latency weirdness and a glitch.  If you just toggle "Pitch Adjust" you still get artifacts on the signal.  So it's pretty much impossible to fix just part of a note in the middle of it.

So...I've been just adjusting individual notes transposing the audio, but to do this you have to skip the consonants or you'll get artifacts, too.

This is one of the big reasons I got S1 on Black Friday (also multitrack audio editing).  Melodyne built-in.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information