Death by a Thousand Cuts

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jan 2015

Saved from PUF. The original list. Check your suggestion is not on this list. If it is there's not really any point you posting it again!

It does needs updating to include any Reason 8 features we can cross out, but I've not had time to go through it.

2011-11-21, 10:08
Audio
1. Audio:quantize Confirmed for Reason 7
2. Audio: snap to transients mode when editing audio
3. Audio: X-Fades in seq window, with at least two curve types
4. Clips: clips that don't slide their audio inside the clip when changing tempo with "Stretch" enabled
5. Bounce: bounce clip or mixer channel to mono
6. Import/Export: MP3 format : MP3, WMA and AAC (and possibly other) formats confirmed for import in Reason 7
7. Recording: punch in / punch out
8. Stretch: Add turn off stretch globally, not just per track

Blocks
9. Blocks: Add r-click “Copy Selection to New Block” from Song mode, add r-click "Copy Selection to Song" from Block mode
10. Blocks: Add renaming of Blocks in Sequencer view
11. Blocks: Allow different clip colours in Block sequencer to appear in Song mode sequencer

Browser
12.Browser: Remember initial search location when resolving missing samples
13. Browser: Remember sort type & order
14. Browser: Get rid of Document Browse List? Invariably one needs the whole folder, not just the partial list this view typically resolves
Plus!
Device browsers:
Mouse wheel patch scrollage https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=159690

Device Handling
15. Rack: Add Prefs > Select Devices by Side Zone/Corner only, or (as current, and really bloody annoying!) entire Device area
16. Rack: When creating channels, be asked how many?
17. Rack: zoom out view in rack
18. Rack: Add modifier key to allow reconnection of stereo cables. Even better if it can automatically work out stuff like connection to Thor Inputs 1+2, 2+3, or 3+4

Device Fixes/Additions

19. All: Paramater Handling: Type in parameter settings
20. All: Skins: or Color picker, esp Thor, Combinator, Kong
21. Combinator:
right-click "assign to combinator parameter x"
22. Combinator: velocity as modulation source in combinator
23. Combinator: Duplicate combinator routing when duplicating device
24. Combinator: Add copy/paste of device routing
25. Combinator: Add a notch mode when applicable
26. Combinator: Bring back the auto-black/white text algorithm that was dropped in Reason 5 and forever messing up dark backgrounds
27. Combinator: Routing button to FX device enabled, default to 2 > 1, rather than 0 > 2; no-one has needed a button to turn a device from Off to Bypass!!
28. Kong: Stereo delay or width control
29. Kong: stereo mode on noise drum module for reverb effects
30. Kong: right click routing templates for Kong
31. Kong: per-pad assignable parameters on Kong to solve automation issue
32. Kong: Show frequencies when you turn the freq-knob of kongs filter
33. MClass EQ: Add stereo modes
34. NN-19: sample start range toggle on NN-19 for granular or sample scrubbing uses
35. NNano : Copy/paste zones from NN-XT to NN-Nano
36. NNano: pan and decay control on layers and zones
37. NN-XT: Scrolling in the NN-XT editor
38. NN-XT: Automate sample start knob
39. PH-90: Add control of the initial phase of the phaser
40. RedRum: Import multiple samples in Redrum
41. RedRum: Copy sample to other channel
42. ReGroove: Fold Tool Window ReGroove Panel into ReGroove Mixer itself
43. Thor: Add exponential envelope mode
44. Thor: Add built-in routes for F1 and F2 to Filter 3 stereo-in
Plus!
All: Oversampling:
high resolution internal processing of synths and effects
All instruments: Add master tune knob, plus a mod destination option in Thor. https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=152424
Combinator: CV output for each rotary
Devices: folding a device main panel but keeping it's programmer visible
NN-XT: Allow "Lock Root" function to prevent resetting of root note to C3 when swapping sample
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=151295
Neptune/BV512: Add auto delay compensation switch on the back, with Prefs Global On or Off setting for Create New Device https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...6&postcount=13
All: Shortcut for the Reset Device action: F9. No finger gymnastics for this one, please! https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/sho ... p?t=169923

Drag ‘n’ Drop
45. Drag ‘n’ Drop:
copy device/clip(s) from File A to File B
46. Drag-n-drop:
Sample pool to instruments or tracks

MIDI Handling

47. MIDI Import: Add Prefs > Load ID8 devices / Blank Combinators / Create tracks only
48. MIDI Focus: Select MIDI device focus via the Rack
Plus!
MIDI: Chase events

Remote
49. Remote:
Ability to map controller to Toggle Rack Front/Rear.

SSL

50. SSL: Delete mixer channel when deleting a device (delete all in group doesn't do this)
51. SSL: Increase height of fader section when you separate the faders from the mixer, in order to scroll up the channels (faders become 100mm long for greater resolution)
52. SSL: keyboard shortcuts to +/- SSL mixer sections
53. SSL: VU+Peak readouts for the mixer channels
54. SSL: Solos that don't override mutes (impossible to solo a track to check mute automation)
55. SSL: Pre-Fader sends that are also Pre-Mute
57. SSL: Trim automation from fader
58. SSL: Transport bar in the Mixer view

Sample Handling inc. Live Sampler/Sample Editor
59. Editor: cut/paste in sample editor
60. Editor: delete/remove in sample editor
61. Editor: It would be better if the marked areas are cut, not the parts outside because you cant delete something inside the sample, just from the right and left.
62. ReFills: Export modified samples from ReFills
63. Samples: noise gate on sample input
64. Samples: Adjust sample finder window so that it's columned like the song file finder window, so we don't have to double click everything
65. Samples: right-click "send samples to sampler" option (i.e., send to NNXT, Kong etc.)

Song Mode/Sequencer & Edit Mode/Roll-View/Notes
66. Automation: Match automation numbering to fader type (dB to dB, not dB to 0–1000) Partial Fix: Implemented for Rack Extensions
67. Automation: stop screen scrolling like mad bastard if pointer goes a little too far whilst dragging the vector dot
68. Automation: Add a dynamically updated pop-up next to the currently edited curve point which lists value and position information for the point
69. Automation: Selecting multiple automation points of different amounts and typing in new figure in box above should change all values to the one typed in
70. Clips: User colour scheme selector
71. Clips: Reverse clip (note data/automation)
72. Clips: mode intelligent midi clips that prevent annoying overlaps or cut-off sustained notes
73. Clips: comp mode for MIDI recording
74. Clips: Add label to clips should have a next & prev button like protools etc.
75. Clips: Play clip tool [something like a reverse Mute Tool, click clip and it will play just that clip, solo, from start to finish]
76. Clips: Select all Clips in current Track (Ctrl-A selected all clips in song)*
77. Edit Mode: Add user adjustable grid contrast / select x number of alternate bar shading https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d=1#post974238
78. Edit Mode: Copy paste notes and/or clips in Edit mode while the sequencer is running
79. Notes: Add an Alt-drag function to enable note start extension
80. Notes: adaptive snap
81. Notes: vertical snap in piano roll for musical scales
82. Notes: drum note tool for rapid notes
83. Notes: more right-click musical functions in the piano roll: quantize length, remove short notes, quantize 50% etc.
84. Notes: Trigger notes while editing/moving notes with keyboard shortcuts (right now it only works with the mouse, manually)
85. Notes: Single tool for drawing and deleting notes
86. Notes: Add slice notes ability to Razor tool in Edit Mode
87. Roll-View: Add note highlight to the vertical keyboard guide when note is triggered via MIDI
88. Sequencer/Roll-View Snap and Quantisation: Add full control of snap divisions from 1/1 to 1/256 via 1/3, 1/7 etc. [User-Defined Grid]
89. Sequencer: Full screen Sequencer View
90. Sequencer: user defined zoom level memories
91. Sequencer: 3 taps on the space bar to return to first bar
92. Sequencer: split at playhead shortcut
93. Sequencer: crop at loop points shortcut
94. Sequencer: Add option to move entire or section of arrangement w/o "inserting bars between locators", ie. highlight part you want to move and done!
95. Sequencer: Easier way of selecting sections of multiple tracks that are not in Blocks*
. Timeline: Magnetic timeline
97. Timeline: Add user locator markers
98. Timeline: Add a collapsible song timeline in Rack/Mixer - allows control/setting of playback/loop points in maximised Rack or SSL views
99. Tracks: Autocopy patch name to track name option
100. Tracks: Auto-import Combinator device labels to sequencer automation lanes
101. Tracks: Bring back attach track to any Rack device function
Plus!
ALL: Align and Distribute Selection: Distribute selected events evenly left to right, +Align selected events left, right and centre and up and down! https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=150360
ALL: Grouping: Non-destructive group.
EDIT: Ghost Notes: Shaded notes from another midi channel/s in current sequencer edit view
EDIT: Bring Quantise options back into toolbar, sharing divisor with Snap Grid
CLIPS: Link clips across tracks
LANES: Solo function for track lanes. https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/....php?p=1023787

Misc & User Interface
102. Big Meter: Remember last viewed setting FIXED!
103. Black Monolith: destroy it (that screen hogging black strip on the right you get in single rack column views)
104. File Management: Short-cut to Save As new version of Reason file with numeric increment
105. Kill Switch aka Panic Button: Cease all audio processing, including MIDI notes, delay FX etc on Sequencer Stop
106. Metering: Signal Clip reset buttons, reset all main meters with one click
107. Shortcuts:key commands for Copy and Paste Patch
108. Shortcuts:key command for Initialise Patch
109. Solo/Mute: Pressing 'mute' mutes across all screens be it note or audio data
110. Tool Window: let us attach the tool window to the main window
111. Tool Window: Add scroll bar rather than half of it disappearing off the face the earth
112. UI: Consistent use of ESC key to cancel modal dialogs. (e.g. "Please insert disk. "Browse" / "Cancel")
113. UI: Port over track focus shortcut buttons from SSL to Sequencer track (shortcuts to SSL/Rack) and Rack Mix Channel (shortcuts to SSL/Seq)
114. UI: (Win) Only File > Quit or window "X" on last open doc should close program. File > Close on last open document should open default song/template.
115. UI: All navigators can be resized, but not just the racknav
116. UI: Channels arrangement in seq page should be mirrored on the mixer and rack pages
117. UI: Repeat Last function.
118. UI: Less double-clicking, especially accessing track automation track clips
. UI: Rack window comes to the front when double click on a track, and automatically expand the device
120. UI: Rack/SSL layout: option of dividing the screen vertically instead of horizontally
121. UI: Add Combinator to Instruments section of insert device as well as "other"
Plus!
Metronome: Customisable bar/beat sound selection https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=150821
Rack: Collapse/Expand "All Selected Devices" option as well as the existing Alt-Click Collapse/Expand Column https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/sho ... p?t=158148
Login: Remember Username and Password option  Added in Reason 8.1

Touch
. Touch:
Re-engineer the song navigator to be more touch friendly
123. Touch: Add Prefs > global option to specify where tool tips display in relation to control. ('Tool Tips' showing current value of control are below and to right of control and hidden behind your finger if using touch monitor with your right hand)
124. Touch: Hot spot zone of 5 pixels surrounding each control where Reason would imply that you were attempting to touch that control.
125. Touch: Big button to switch between Mixer, Sequencer and Rack windows in Transport

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jan 2015

Reserved ;)

Gaja

22 Jan 2015

Thanks for bringing this back! Just wanted to add: remember username and password option has been added with 8.1

Cheers!
Fredhoven

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:Thanks for bringing this back! Just wanted to add: remember username and password option has been added with 8.1
It has? Cool, well, I would class that as a workflow enhancement ;)

CharlyCharlzz

24 Jan 2015

cheers for that !

...I dont see the double combinator (been asked by a lot of users) , the idear was to click on a unfold Arrow and to have the double of knobs and bouttons.

this one made me LOL : ( 67. Automation: stop screen scrolling like mad bastard if pointer goes a little too far whilst dragging the vector dot )

EDIT : this is not a logic one ( 27. Combinator: Routing button to FX device enabled, default to 2 > 1, rather than 0 > 2; no-one has needed a button to turn a device from Off to Bypass!! ) 

some units don't act the same on OFF and on BYPASS and if I use a FX combinator (not on Bus) and I wish to stop the FX but live the sound passing through ?!?! meh ????.

So no thanks this is not Wise or even logic :D LOL
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Data_Shrine

25 Jan 2015

Browser : Re-introduce cancel / undo function ? (R8+)

esselfortium

25 Jan 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:this is not a logic one ( 27. Combinator: Routing button to FX device enabled, default to 2 > 1, rather than 0 > 2; no-one has needed a button to turn a device from Off to Bypass!! ) 

some units don't act the same on OFF and on BYPASS and if I use a FX combinator (not on Bus) and I wish to stop the FX but live the sound passing through ?!?! meh ????.

So no thanks this is not Wise or even logic :D LOL
Creating a toggle button for an effect is a very common task when programming combinators. The default behavior creates a button that toggles between Off (break the signal flow entirely) and Bypass (let the sound through without processing it). Sometimes you would want Off/On rather than Bypass/On, depending on whether it's an insert effect or a send effect, but the default behavior is never useful under any conceivable circumstance. Defaulting it to Bypass/On or Off/On would save a lot of unnecessary clicks in the programmer view.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

25 Jan 2015

Data_Shrine wrote:Browser : Re-introduce cancel / undo function ? (R8+)
With that one we've move well beyond "death by a thousand cuts" and into the realm of "sawing off your own leg with a sharp piece of paper".

ljekio

26 Jan 2015

Unhappy I forgot to save my own suggestion's thread.

But main feature for me is Reason as ReWire master.

Janvier

03 Feb 2015

ljekio wrote: But main feature for me is Reason as ReWire master.

For me its not an absolute need... but I agree that this would be great ! 

Exowildebeest

03 Feb 2015

I think Rewire-master counts as "death by falling anvil".

JoshuaPhilgarlic

03 Feb 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Combinator: CV output for each rotary
Not only for rotaries! With all those cool CV devices we got now, there's also need for dedicated CV and Gate outputs!!!!

JoshuaPhilgarlic

03 Feb 2015

SSL: Solo Save, so that channels (e.g. FX returns routed to channels) keep on playing.
SSL: Fader groups.
SSL: Automation update.
SSL: VCA Faders.
SSL: Surround panning.
Automation: Automation without the need to hit 'Record' first.
Recording: Play the playback and not only the click when precounting.

gak

05 Mar 2015

New, but for me audio is important:

A quick bounce/rex for instruments
Being able to move takes FREELY inside of the arranger. Also, takes turned into new tracks if drag/dropped.
Auto playhead moves back to L marker
Grooved audio (not just quantize or swing)
Speaking of swing, a global "amount" that applies to audio also (but I guess that could just be the groove selection)

raymondh

05 Mar 2015

Notes: step entry using midi keyboard

Devices: audio device patches - select stereo pair of inputs by name

Reason 8: browser focus improvements, including select browser focus from sequencer view, hold current browser focus longer (less propensity to add new device)

gak

29 Mar 2015

I think I've been using long enough to be able to say this w/o ruffling too many feathers...

selig
RE Developer

29 Mar 2015

gak wrote:I think I've been using long enough to be able to say this w/o ruffling too many feathers...

I would guess it would not then be too far off to ask why there are also no presets for the main sequencer? ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

29 Mar 2015

What?

selig
RE Developer

30 Mar 2015

gak wrote:What?
RPG-8 and Matrix both can sequence notes, not unlike the main sequencer - a preset would be a sequence, no?
Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, probably just late here…   ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

30 Mar 2015

But I was just thinking, how nice it would be to have them be able to save. I'm not the sharpest "arpeggiator" in the world, but I'd like to be able to go through "painstaking" programing and save it for future reference. 

Maybe it's just me.

InavigableHeart

30 Mar 2015

Gak, as a workaround you could save anything in a combinator, but nah, I agree it would be good to be able to save matrix rhythms and arpeggio setups to plug into things, for example it's cool to build up drum patterns in Redrum and use those on different projects.

I'd also like to see prests on Mclass stuff, or at least the ability to 'copy patch'.

gak

30 Mar 2015

I understand what you are saying. I just after a few months am surprised that something that could really benefit from the "preset" thing so many FX/etc have that these two don't have it. I guess that's why there are RE'S that are more advanced.

Gaja

30 Mar 2015

InavigableHeart wrote:Gak, as a workaround you could save anything in a combinator, but nah, I agree it would be good to be able to save matrix rhythms and arpeggio setups to plug into things, for example it's cool to build up drum patterns in Redrum and use those on different projects.

I'd also like to see prests on Mclass stuff, or at least the ability to 'copy patch'.
At this point I would like to point out that since Reason 7.1 we are able to shift+drag a device to autoroute it in position of te signal chain you're dragging into. Shift+alt+drag will copy the dragged device and auto route it. Therefore you can work around the omission of presets.
But I agree that the combinator is a secret preset cupboard, if you care to use it for that.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

gak

06 Apr 2015

As I get busier and busier in reason, I come across things that are haunting me from other hosts. Tab to name next track is one I'd really like.

SebAudio

11 Apr 2015

In line with 8.3 an extended Remote for the Matrix. Programming sequences and curves from an iPad would be nice !
Also add a free mode for the rate and add CV inputs and outputs for more control of sequence rate, duration etc.

• Information