Custom color mixing of device/fader groupings.

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
User avatar
Marketblandings
Posts: 188
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

Even my ancient Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 brought up the Windows color smear for every color choice.
I had an entire scheme that had meaning for my mixing devised.

User avatar
rvman
Posts: 125
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

It would be nice to have this feature. To me, the current colors are a little dull. I would like a more vibrant look.
********************************
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Banned user
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 18 Jan 2015

I'm no programmer but surely this would be a dead simple implementation. It's been a part of all sorts of software for over 15 years, even freeware made by backyard coders. Alas, Props don't seem have any vision for enhancing user workflow. Never mind, we work with what we have, or move on.
My Words are my ART

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Alas, Props don't seem have any vision for enhancing user workflow.
Come on Karma, sure they do, the last update was all about that, even though some didn't like it (I know a few who think this is the first Reason version they would actually buy).

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Banned user
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Alas, Props don't seem have any vision for enhancing user workflow.
normen wrote:
Come on Karma, sure they do, the last update was all about that, even though some didn't like it (I know a few who think this is the first Reason version they would actually buy).
'A few' being the key word here. It's fairly clear from a recent poll (vs a poll of the same nature of 6 to 7) that the uptake interest was lousy. Anyway, this is veering off topic, and it's not 'The Lounge'.

Normen, you're a developer so you might know. Would it be that big a job to have a custom colour pallette? These guys are commercial developers, so I would have thought this was intern-level stuff for a programming professional.
My Words are my ART

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote: 'A few' being the key word here. It's fairly clear from a recent poll (vs a poll of the same nature of 6 to 7) that the uptake interest was lousy. Anyway, this is veering off topic, and it's not 'The Lounge'.

Normen, you're a developer so you might know. Would it be that big a job to have a custom colour pallette? These guys are commercial developers, so I would have thought this was intern-level stuff for a programming professional.
As for a) we simply don't have any valid data about that, a forum poll isn't representative. If at all its representative for people who already own Reason, there might be ten times more people who didn't even get into Reason because it didn't look like R8 does now.

As for b) Theres always more things to do than resources available. I can't say how hard it is because I don't know their code base. Its like asking if its easy to convince guitarists to play heavy metal, it varies from person to person :) If the question is if guitarists in general can learn to play heavy metal then the answer is always yes.

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Banned user
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 18 Jan 2015

normen wrote:
As for a) we simply don't have any valid data about that, a forum poll isn't representative. If at all its representative for people who already own Reason, there might be ten times more people who didn't even get into Reason because it didn't look like R8 does now.
Mate, it's as good a cross section as any to represent the existing user perception, especially since those same users participated in a similar poll, and the yes vs no stats were pretty much reversed at 7's release. Admittedly, I missed your reference suggesting new user uptake, of which we don't know. But to speculate, the constant spamming from Propellerheads was a new thing, and only came weeks after release whcih would sugest a product launch flop. The full trial version was a first, which also came with a lot of spamming throughout the 30 day period. That new user bundle of $500 worth of RE's also looks like an act of desperation. Companies generally don't promote a sweetener so soon after initial release unless that launch was a disaster. Therefore to go on what we CAN observe, it's not a stretch to assume that Reason 8 wasn't exactly selling like hotcakes.

Your analogy of the guitarist is wrong I think. I'm pretty sure that creating a colour pallette is programming 101 stuff, so it would be more akin to asking a metal guitarist, a jazz guitarist and a flamengo guitarist to play an open C chord. Each one of them would find it to be a no-brainer.

My Words are my ART

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Mate, it's as good a cross section as any to represent the existing user perception, especially since those same users participated in a similar poll, and the yes vs no stats were pretty much reversed at 7's release. Admittedly, I missed your reference suggesting new user uptake, of which we don't know. But to speculate, the constant spamming from Propellerheads was a new thing, and only came weeks after release whcih would sugest a product launch flop. The full trial version was a first, which also came with a lot of spamming throughout the 30 day period. That new user bundle of $500 worth of RE's also looks like an act of desperation. Companies generally don't promote a sweetener so soon after initial release unless that launch was a disaster. Therefore to go on what we CAN observe, it's not a stretch to assume that Reason 8 wasn't exactly selling like hotcakes.

Your analogy of the guitarist is wrong I think. I'm pretty sure that creating a colour pallette is programming 101 stuff, so it would be more akin to asking a metal guitarist, a jazz guitarist and a flamengo guitarist to play an open C chord. Each one of them would find it to be a no-brainer.
They said that R8 sold better than any other version, so you think they're lying?

I think you just misunderstood the analogy. You can have a code base where its very complicated to change the color of something dynamically. Just making a palette window and displaying that color somewhere is of course not complicated. Maybe another analog works: Asking if its easy to paint something. Sure its easy to paint a wall but painting a piece of butter isn't that easy. But generally the thing I said initially is the main issue, theres lots of things you want to do and only so much time/resources to do them. I am certain theres some things around your flat/house that wouldn't be complicated to do but you didn't do them for years now.

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Banned user
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 18 Jan 2015

normen wrote:
They said that R8 sold better than any other version, so you think they're lying?
To be blunt, yes I do. There is absolutely no need for them to back up such a claim, nor can anyone determine it's truth, so it's just more hype from a company that has risen to become a patronising marketing machine communicating to people in Double-Speak. Look at Ernst's latest communication. This is company that uses the written equivalent of a magician's slight-of-hand technique these days. Are you forgetting the whole 'more workflow changes that ever' BS they pushed prior to R8? That hasn't turned out to be the case at all, by most people's definition. It's a widespread disaster amongst existing users, and considered to be an impediment rather than an enhancement to working smoothly. As for new users, workflow improvements are not even a factor. When someone hasn't used Reason before, there are no improvements to be observed. It simply is what they buy in to, no more no less.

To make such a statement that it sold better, merely one week or so after release is completely irrelevant, and little more than dick-measuring on their part. Even if it were true for the time it was stated, it was so early in what would be an unfolding sales cycle for a newly launched product that it would be completely inaccurate to refer to that proclamation now, three months down the track.

I don't know why it matters so much that a small fraternity of users will cling to the idea that Reason 8 wasn't a commercial failure, at least from the outset, and take umbrage to those that see a very different picture. So what? If you think otherwise, that changes neither my nor your user experience. Forum members (ie existing users) either upgrade or the don't upgrade.

Was there an influx of new user to the forum at the time of release? I didn't notice a spike, perhaps that;s an indictor of new uptake levels




My Words are my ART

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote: To be blunt, yes I do. There is absolutely no need for them to back up such a claim, nor can anyone determine it's truth, so it's just more hype from a company that has risen to become a patronising marketing machine communicating to people in Double-Speak. Look at Ernst's latest communication. This is company that uses the written equivalent of a magician's slight-of-hand technique these days. Are you forgetting the whole 'more workflow changes that ever' BS they pushed prior to R8? That hasn't turned out to be the case at all, by most people's definition. It's a widespread disaster amongst existing users, and considered to be an impediment rather than an enhancement to working smoothly. As for new users, workflow improvements are not even a factor. When someone hasn't used Reason before, there are no improvements to be observed. It simply is what they buy in to, no more no less.

To make such a statement that it sold better, merely one week or so after release is completely irrelevant, and little more than dick-measuring on their part. Even if it were true for the time it was stated, it was so early in what would be an unfolding sales cycle for a newly launched product that it would be completely inaccurate to refer to that proclamation now, three months down the track.

I don't know why it matters so much that a small fraternity of users will cling to the idea that Reason 8 wasn't a commercial failure, at least from the outset, and take umbrage to those that see a very different picture. So what? If you think otherwise, that changes neither my nor your user experience. Forum members (ie existing users) either upgrade or the don't upgrade.

Was there an influx of new user to the forum at the time of release? I didn't notice a spike, perhaps that;s an indictor of new uptake levels



I personally am not clinging to anything its just that I have a different perception than you. As I said, I have examples of people (not currently Reason users) liking this version of Reason better than any before, I personally got around the "issues" with adapting to the new version and I do believe the Props when they specifically say that it sold better than any other version (even when I can see market speak in other statements as well, thats still something way different than flat out lying).

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Banned user
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 18 Jan 2015

Normen, I'm not sure why you're so insistent on challenging my statements, so let's just respectfully agree to disagree with our speculation on R8's release and it's success to date. I think it was a commercial failure, and yu do not think this to be the case. No amount of words from this point on is going to alter either of our assumptions.

Back on topic: I would find a custom colour pallet handy so I could have shades of the same colour representing like instruments, but still be able to tell them apart. For example if I have 10 drum tracks I would like to make them all green, but at different shades of the spectrum
My Words are my ART

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Normen, I'm not sure why you're so insistent on challenging my statements, so let's just respectfully agree to disagree with our speculation on R8's release and it's success to date. I think it was a commercial failure, and yu do not think this to be the case. No amount of words from this point on is going to alter either of our assumptions.
Uhm, I basically said exactly that? That I have a different perception than you?

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Banned user
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 18 Jan 2015

normen wrote: Uhm, I basically said exactly that? That I have a different perception than you?
Why are you refusing to let this go? Seriously mate, I am not taking your bait, Get back on topic. We have both said all there is to say in this thread about the subject of R8's success.
My Words are my ART

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

normen wrote: Uhm, I basically said exactly that? That I have a different perception than you?
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Why are you refusing to let this go? Seriously mate, I am not taking your bait, Get back on topic. We have both said all there is to say in this thread about the subject of R8's success.
First quote was because you said "I don't understand why people clinge..", so I explained that in my case its not clinging.

Second quote was because you said I'd try and challenge what you say, which I didn't.

This quote is because you say I'm "baiting" which I'm not, I'm explaining that I don't want you to take on my opinion but that there is other opinions (such as mine).

So if you don't answer to this post or if you answer "alright, got it" I won't post anymore. If instead you say "You're really trying to annoy me here, right?" I will answer "No I don't".

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Banned user
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 18 Jan 2015

Have a nice day normen. :t0152:
My Words are my ART

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 323
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

My now and then collab friend said"Now it is catching up with ableton and gonna be buying it some time, the new browser and drag an drop are game changers"
When I was ranting to him about the lost "autoload" function.
Anyway I guess it is not that important, that we have to beef each other for it

hydlide

Post 18 Jan 2015

Marketblandings wrote:Even my ancient Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 brought up the Windows color smear for every color choice.
I had an entire scheme that had meaning for my mixing devised.
I understand your point totally. And from a coding point of view it shouldn't be that hard to embed a 24-bit color picker in any program.

However, on a personal note I barely use any color. Most of my projects look like the following;

Image 

If I want to put "accents" on something else I would just pick a different color (like Red or Orange). Too much different colors often give me headache anyway ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 323
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

Maybe not a color picker, but some more colors, and some of them more contrasting...the slate blue and the steel blue are almost the same color...and some are kind of bland IMO. Like wheat...for instance

User avatar
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer
Posts: 1119
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

normen wrote: I personally am not clinging to anything its just that I have a different perception than you. As I said, I have examples of people (not currently Reason users) liking this version of Reason better than any before, I personally got around the "issues" with adapting to the new version and I do believe the Props when they specifically say that it sold better than any other version (even when I can see market speak in other statements as well, thats still something way different than flat out lying).
PH sent out at least three marketing spam emails in the two months after R8 was released, which given I'm not aware of them ever having done that before, even when Record was effeciently murdered with R6's very deliberate PWYW, suggests a measure of desperation to boost upgrades. So I think it's highly unlikely R8 is a best seller by all metrics.

*New* users? Well, possibly it's sold above expectations, and maybe it is the best-selling version. But as noted above, there are no workflow improvement for new users. For them it is what it is.

*Upgraders*, on the other hand. I think R8 has crashed and burned. A company doesn't send out three emails effectively accusing their customers opinions of being wrong about their product if people are upgrading in massive numbers. People tried it, chose not to upgrade, and yet PH try to convince them it's better. Well, if something that took me 3 clicks in R7 takes 4 clicks in R8, it's not an improvement, and I found it quite insulting and patronising to be told I was wrong. That doesn't preclude other people liking it, plenty do, but that doesn't make the rest of us incorrect.

User avatar
ksailer
Posts: 15
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

Extending the color identifier they store today to a 24 bit RGB value shouldn't be too hard to do. Especially if you do not need to keep backward compatibility... a new version file won't open with an old version program anyway.
I guess it's just the Propellerheads way of "listening" to user suggestions. Sometimes - I think - they specifically do not implement something if it was a user suggestion.
:reason: :record: :ignition: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :refillpacker:

User avatar
Marketblandings
Posts: 188
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

Marketblandings wrote:Even my ancient Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 brought up the Windows color smear for every color choice.
I had an entire scheme that had meaning for my mixing devised.
hydlide wrote: I understand your point totally. And from a coding point of view it shouldn't be that hard to embed a 24-bit color picker in any program.

However, on a personal note I barely use any color. Most of my projects look like the following;
Image
hydlide wrote: 

If I want to put "accents" on something else I would just pick a different color (like Red or Orange). Too much different colors often give me headache anyway ;)
It's not a desire for more colors at all (at least for me).
My Cakewalk projects were possibly even subtler than what you posted color-wise. And that's the point. i tend to do pieces with 10-20 instruments. I could make appropriate groupings of instruments - like rythm section: piano, bass, guitar and Drums all a granite grey (foundational color) but a different shade of granite grey for each instrument so that they still stand apart enough to find any one of them effortlessly. Lather, rinse, repeat.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests