Delay compensate midi events, too

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
aquil

27 May 2023

When you are using effects which introduce audio latency, you cant get other audio plugins, (which are triggered via note events) get in sync with them, even when delay compensation is enabled. This can easily be reproduced, when you try to do sidechain via midi triggers with Shaperbox on a audio channel, which has latency. As far as i know, i've reported this already as bug for Reason 9.5/10, it was not supported back then. But now with Reason 12.6, it seems its still the case.

aquil

29 May 2023

Automation of a delay compensated audio tracks are also out of sync. So It seems all sequencer related stuff can get out of sync here :/

aquil

31 May 2023

Btw. i've tested sidechain channels, too. I thought the delay value will then be applied on the sidechain source, too. But it's not, so it's also out of sync. Maybe i miss something, but I think the delay compensation in Reason needs a whole overhaul.
delay_sidechain.png
delay_sidechain.png (406.5 KiB) Viewed 761 times

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2023

aquil wrote:
31 May 2023
Btw. i've tested sidechain channels, too. I thought the delay value will then be applied on the sidechain source, too. But it's not, so it's also out of sync. Maybe i miss something, but I think the delay compensation in Reason needs a whole overhaul.
delay_sidechain.png
I don’t understand this routing - why not just put the side chain insert on the channel itself instead of adding additional routing/delays?
Selig Audio, LLC

aquil

31 May 2023

Because i want to sidechain a group channel. The group channel could have a delay, because on one of the instruments, there is a EQ in linear phase mode.
The image just shows a simple example. Bus 1 = Group Channel, where other Bus channels are routed and some of them have sample delay. Peak = Sidechain source, Simple Peak Signal (Audio clips) to trigger the sidechain.

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2023

aquil wrote:
31 May 2023
Because i want to sidechain a group channel. The group channel could have a delay, because on one of the instruments, there is a EQ in linear phase mode.
The image just shows a simple example. Bus 1 = Group Channel, where other Bus channels are routed and some of them have sample delay. Peak = Sidechain source, Simple Peak Signal (Audio clips) to trigger the sidechain.
I don’t know how simple it would be to make Reason aware of this type of routing, but the simplest current solution is to use the free VMG-01 sample delay: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... e%20stereo.
Selig Audio, LLC

aquil

31 May 2023

It can be complex, but i think its needed. I'm not sure what the current delay compensation do. It seems, it's currently just aligning the audio out signal of each bus in the SSL mixer.
My current workaround is now to avoid any delay, so all signal paths stay in sync.
The Peak channel routing in my example was just a tryout workaround for the missing midi event delay compensation in Reason. Because shaperbox can also be triggered by midi.
I was using this routing alot in Renoise (Music tracker), which also have delay compensation. But i want to play around with the Reason DAW again.

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2023

aquil wrote:
31 May 2023
It can be complex, but i think its needed. I'm not sure what the current delay compensation do. It seems, it's currently just aligning the audio out signal of each bus in the SSL mixer.
My current workaround is now to avoid any delay, so all signal paths stay in sync.
The Peak channel routing in my example was just a tryout workaround for the missing midi event delay compensation in Reason. Because shaperbox can also be triggered by midi.
I was using this routing alot in Renoise (Music tracker), which also have delay compensation. But i want to play around with the Reason DAW again.
Another thought - MIDI timing is probably never 'sample accurate', so you may be better off finding the offsets yourself using "SLIDE" in the Groove Mixer. It's basically "manual delay compensation"! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information