Instances

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
selig
RE Developer

23 Jul 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
23 Jul 2021
Ability to create an "Instance" of any kind of midi or automation clip. If you change the instance, every other clip changes. A kind of Blocks in a more modern way.

This is standard in e.g. Sketch or Adobe XD for App Design and its a great way to save time.
That’s one thing I find blocks useful for. Blocks actually IS a more modern way of doing this, since this is a rather “old” MIDI feature even in apps like Pro Tools have had for years and IIRC was not as clear in use as it could be. What is it about using blocks for this that isn’t working for you?
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

23 Jul 2021

I still don’t understand why anyone would need to layer blocks. if we’re talking about MIDI, you can already add multiple lanes for the same instrument (to have one MIDI lane dedicated to kick and snare, another for toms, and another for cymbals, for example). they can all be manipulated/managed the same in Blocks as if they were separate instruments. you probably wouldn’t want that same functionality for audio tracks. I think layering Blocks would make it even less intuitive, not more.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

huggermugger

23 Jul 2021

I think Props would say "we've already done it with Blocks".

guitfnky

23 Jul 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
23 Jul 2021
So for examplae: You work in the sequencer, you edit one of the synth clips or you edit your instruments / automation lanes and then, suddenly, you decide:

Yes, thats it. Thats how all clips should sound.

What would be the best usability solution to solve this problem?
copy the clip(s) into a block, then paint the blocks back into your sequencer. couldn’t be easier. that’s one of the best scenarios I could think of for using blocks.

I do get the hesitancy though—it’s always weird when there’s a tool that can do what you want, but just isn’t implemented the way you’d prefer, and you kind of have to acclimate to it. I feel the same way about Session view in Ableton—a lot of people love it, but the way it works can be pretty confounding to me when I expect it should work differently than it does. I just need to get more comfortable with it though I think, and then I suspect I’ll enjoy it.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information