Exhaustive list of requests. Just gonna put these out there...

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Aquila

18 Jul 2021

So after v12's announcement and somewhat paltry feature list I got thinking, what would I REALLY like to see added/fixed in the next version(s)? So I set out and started to write this list of things that I have either wanted, or been frustrated by. I don't know if they're in line with everyone else's suggestions, but I just wanted to put them out there anyway.
  • ADD: Sequencer - split-screen editing of multiple sequencer and/or audio tracks at once
  • ADD: Sequencer - separate the note editor window and sequencer timeline (see above split-screen suggestion)
  • ADD: Sequencer - scale & key piano roll filtering in sequencer window (see iOS version of Thor, for example)
  • ADD: Sequencer - ability to use the Razor tool to split notes
  • ADD: Sequencer - ripple delete tool that can select and remove gaps between notes and blocks
  • ADD: Sequencer - timeline insert tool to draw a space between selected notes and blocks, nudging them forward
  • ADD: Sequencer - chord drawing tool that draws all notes from a predefined scale & key in one stroke
  • ADD: Sequencer - collapsible sequencer groups/folders
  • ADD: Sequencer - ability to zoom into audio waveform at a sub-sample level for sample-accurate editing
  • ADD: Sequencer - option to enable/disable double-clicking to add/delete notes
  • ADD: Sequencer - add video sync option including SMPTE timecode for film scoring
  • ADD: Sequencer - add fullscreen video playback with selectable monitor output for live performances
  • ADD: Sequencer - unlimited zoom in/out to display lengthy timelines
  • ADD: Sequencer - when adding REX files to an audio track, add an otion to utilise REX slices instead of timestretching
  • ADD: Sequencer - add a classic timestretch mode for audio clips with adjustable grain and crossfade sizes
  • ADD: Blocks - ability to layer multiple blocks anywhere on the sequencer timeline (ie separate blocks for drums, leads, etc)
  • ADD: Blocks - expand the Blocks functionality into a live performance mode, ie quantized triggering of multiple loopable blocks
  • ADD: Browser - multiple favourites or custom folders for rack devices/plugins/samples etc
  • ADD: Browser - device previews should also zoom in/out to optimise screen real estate
  • ADD: Rack - collapsible rack groups
  • ADD: Rack - cable management devices (ie multi-channel audio and cv input/output boxes so multiple cables no longer have to span and clog the entire rack)
  • ADD: Mixer - colour themes or skins
  • ADD: Mixer - detach, rotate and dock the fader section anywhere on the screen
  • ADD: Mixer - ability to rearrange mixer sections (dynamics/eq/aux sends/inserts)
  • ADD: Mixer - show/hide transport controls
  • ADD: Mixer - collapsible mixer groups
  • ADD: Mixer - scalable fader lengths
  • ADD: Mixer - multiple selectable pan/balance knob behaviours
  • ADD: Mixer - record all mixer controls (ie faders) into a single sequencer track to make recording external controller input easier. Add optional mirrored lanes for other devices in the sequencer
  • ADD: Audio - WASAPI support
  • ADD: Behaviour - allow easy manual input of numerical values for any knob/slider
  • ADD: Behaviour - audio track device needs monitoring buttons adding to the rack and mixer, not just the sequencer channel
  • ADD: Behaviour - allow Audio Track to have its own optional note lane(s) for better integration of inserted instruments (ie External MIDI Instrument)
  • ADD: Behaviour - customisable keyboard shortcuts and macros
  • ADD: Behaviour - free docking/arrangement of sequencer, mixer, rack and tool windows to any part/side of a screen
  • ADD: Behaviour - allow transport controls to be detached and/or docked to any window edge, not just the bottom of the screen
  • ADD: Behaviour - allow docking of any additional window (ie tools, on-screen keys, recording meter etc)
  • ADD: Behaviour - Follow Song function should have an option to start sidescrolling once the playhead reaches the center of the screen
  • FIX: Mixer - mixer subgroups turn into ordinary mixer channels if a inputs are temporarily severed. Subgroups should be able to exist with no input patched (ie. for template purposes)
  • FIX: Behaviour - reason quits if a lone project is closed
  • FIX: Behaviour - prevent accidental rack device movement by adding option to disable/limit click & drag area of devices
  • FIX: Behaviour - separate the default patch browsing location from the 'Load default sound in new devices' option in Preferences.
  • FIX: Behaviour - optimise screen real estate by reducing or removing unnecessary blank spaces in the UI
  • FIX: Behaviour - sequencer should return to the last viewed timeline region when exiting edit mode instead of skipping ahead with the edited block on the left of view
  • FIX: Browser - add option to keep browser focus the same between sequencer and rack windows
  • FIX: Browser - investigate why directory loading can still be noticeably slow in some circumstances
  • FIX: Device - add multiple assignable CC knobs to External MIDI Instrument
  • ADD/FIX: Remote - replace or improve Remote functionality. ie. a GUI that makes it easier for end users to create and share their own codecs and maps

Billy+

18 Jul 2021

You missed finish VST implementation - I still want VST 2.4 MIDI device support.

And I don't want to hear all the bull about 2.4 being dead, it's not I have loads of devices that are 2.4 and plenty are still being created and available to buy.......

Creativemind

18 Jul 2021

Aquila wrote:
18 Jul 2021
  • ADD: Mixer - colour themes or skins
  • ADD: Mixer - detach, rotate and dock the fader section anywhere on the screen
  • ADD: Mixer - ability to rearrange mixer sections (dynamics/eq/aux sends/inserts)
  • ADD: Mixer - show/hide transport controls
  • ADD: Mixer - collapsible mixer groups
  • ADD: Mixer - scalable fader lengths
  • ADD: Mixer - multiple selectable pan/balance knob behaviours
  • ADD: Mixer - record all mixer controls (ie faders) into a single sequencer track to make recording external controller input easier. Add optional mirrored lanes for other devices in the sequencer
You missed off stereo / mono buttons and a toggle on / off of effects buttons for all mixer channels too. ;-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Aquila

18 Jul 2021

Chances are I'll be missing a lot of other folks' requests. I can add them to the list if you want.

slic

19 Jul 2021

Its a great list of sensible things that should be implementable without too much fuss. Obviously there are other 'big' features (like say MPE) but I don't think they belong on this list of sequencing QOL workflow stuff. I also put a list up somewhere, similar idea- I would like the mixer to be where the help tab is- makes much more sense to have the mixer docked to the side not the top, especially if you just want to see a couple of tracks whilst work 'long' view as you would for a mixer.

I also asked for (and this is easy) name audio inputs and ideally monitor all audio inputs always, I am often looking for which input to record from!

turn2on
RE Developer

19 Jul 2021

Big pain personally for me, multi-channel audio intrerfaces support.
Problem: every time we run Reason, quantitiy of Active I/O channels by default 2 In, 2 Out.... but I have 32 inputs and 32 outputs... :D
Every time I need to chek manually every channel of input and output... You must understand how much many clicks I do to activate all this 64 channels...)))
Real pain.

Good option (must have!) to check "Activate All I/O" :thumbs_up:
Or jsut saving by Reason settings selected quantity of channels at last run.. Reason not remember this in prefenes and drop active channels to 2 In / 2 Out..

slic

19 Jul 2021

turn2on wrote:
19 Jul 2021
Big pain personally for me, multi-channel audio intrerfaces support.
Problem: every time we run Reason, quantitiy of Active I/O channels by default 2 In, 2 Out.... but I have 32 inputs and 32 outputs... :D
Every time I need to chek manually every channel of input and output... You must understand how much many clicks I do to activate all this 64 channels...)))
Real pain.

Good option (must have!) to check "Activate All I/O" :thumbs_up:
Or jsut saving by Reason settings selected quantity of channels at last run.. Reason not remember this in prefenes and drop active channels to 2 In / 2 Out..
You shouldn't need to do that?

I have 32 in/out (X32) and I have never had to do this, just set it up once and they are always active (I just ticked them once in preferences, audio, channels)

turn2on
RE Developer

19 Jul 2021

May be this is a interface problem.
Previously I use Apogee Element 24+ADAT
Now I using Presonus Quantum 2626 + ADATs.
Always have 2 I/O by default and check other channels manually.
Ok, just writing about tis to RS.

guitfnky

19 Jul 2021

I’m not understanding the add Blocks layer thing as described. Blocks carry all instruments in the block so you already have drums separate from leads, separate from bass, etc. if you want a different bass part, then you’re breaking the purpose of using Blocks, and there are already tools to allow you to do that pretty easily.

I’m sure I’m just misunderstanding, but what’s the use case there?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

jam-s

19 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
19 Jul 2021
The Idea is to have different Blocks for each group (lead, percussion, drums, etc.) and then be able to layer any amount of those building blocks on top of each other. So that for example you can have the beat carry on while switching to another melody line.

guitfnky

19 Jul 2021

jam-s wrote:
19 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
19 Jul 2021
The Idea is to have different Blocks for each group (lead, percussion, drums, etc.) and then be able to layer any amount of those building blocks on top of each other. So that for example you can have the beat carry on while switching to another melody line.
interesting, though I’m still confused on how that would work. if you had a guitar track in both blocks, how would it know which one takes precedence if you could stack like that?

jam-s

19 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
19 Jul 2021
interesting, though I’m still confused on how that would work. if you had a guitar track in both blocks, how would it know which one takes precedence if you could stack like that?
That's simple: The one on top gets priority (and muted elements of the higher Blocks let the lower Block elements "shine through"). The only change needed in the UI would be to have the Block selection track to also allow for multiple lanes (just like they did with note lanes).

guitfnky

19 Jul 2021

jam-s wrote:
19 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
19 Jul 2021
That's simple: The one on top gets priority (and muted elements of the higher Blocks let the lower Block elements "shine through"). The only change needed in the UI would be to have the Block selection track to also allow for multiple lanes (just like they did with note lanes).
hmm, I feel like that would be a nightmare to manage with moderate to large track counts, but I wouldn’t be upset if they added something like that—it’d certainly be fun to mess around with.

EdwardKiy

21 Jul 2021

I would vote to sticky this thread

EdwardKiy

22 Jul 2021

jamespember wrote:
22 Jul 2021
Please keep all the feedback coming!!!
we're only glad to help.

By the way, Pitch or Comp Edit still don't have hotkeys (massive workflow killer), and every time I open any project, the mixer/sequencer and rack are still neither maximized, nor in positions I left them when I saved and exited the project.

zoidkirb

22 Jul 2021

Midi capture, Midi comping, custom default patches for RE's, more/customisable hotkeys.

• Information