"Skeleton" UI for VSTs with no GUI

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
HeavyViper

04 Jan 2021

I've recently been introduced to some great plugins from a dev by the name of airwindows. Now, while the sound out of them is phenomenal, the developer doesn't do any graphic work for them. They are very "to the point" plugs with no bells and whistles (which I'm quite into, tbh!). I've noticed that while Reason has no problem loading them, it doesn't have any facility for displaying the controls for plugins with no GUI. So, I'm stuck using the sequencer as a rather clunky alternative to set static values. Like so:
2021-01-04 14_29_26-Window.png
Workaround
2021-01-04 14_29_26-Window.png (14.47 KiB) Viewed 809 times
It's arguably a small thing, but it would be nice to have a basic "skeleton" UI for cases like this. I figure a big concern from RS's standpoint would be that it'd clash with Reason's (gorgeous) skeuomorphic look. Speaking personally though, I'm interested in using these VSTs because they sound great, so it wouldn't have to look pretty. :3

For simplicity's sake, I've attached a screenshot from Reaper to show what I'm talking about:
2021-01-04 14_22_32-Window.png
"Skeleton" UI
2021-01-04 14_22_32-Window.png (12.28 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Anyway, just thought I'd throw it on the pile. Cheers!
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

lowtom

24 Jan 2021

One solution could be to put those VST plugins inside Combinator and map parametrs to knobs and buttons + you can connect CV8 Rack Extension https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/ to have even more controls accesible in rack.
:reason: :refill: :re:

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2021

You might already know this, but if you expand the bottom panel of the VST device you’ll see a modulation matrix. If you click a cell and connect it to one of the VST’s parameters, you can use the amount column on the right to set static values. You can also connect CV signals to the rear to control the parameters. I use Airwindows stuff as well this way.

But I agree with your point. A simple floating window would be nice so that you could control things while moving about the rack.

joeyluck

24 Jan 2021

Most DAWs have "smart controls" or whatever; controls preassigned to parameters easily accessible outside of the plugin. It's something Reason has needed and many of us have requested. Going through and assigning controls for every single plugin is not an efficient option. That and you also have to load that Combinator or whatever every time instead of the plugin by itself.

HeavyViper

25 Jan 2021

Yeah, when you're in your flow state, the last thing you want to be doing is manually configuring controls for basic parameters. The Combinator is probably the best solution at the moment, but even that's not ideal.

@lowtom @Timmy - appreciate the workaround suggestions, thank you! I'd only really tried the default value method in the sequencer, so alternatives are nice.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

• Information