Different graphics for Multi-lane selection please

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
joeyluck

14 Jul 2020

This is something I find that I struggle with, but also as I try to teach friends and colleagues how to use Reason, this is one of those things that comes up every time and seems very unintuitive. It's not presented in a way that you would know how to use it without a manual. And even when I know how to use it, I'm straining my eyes to focus on what exactly I'm looking at.

This is how multi-lane selection is presented currently:

What that shows is this:
- The top two are selected to be viewed in multi-lane
- The bottom one is not
- The top-most one is selected for editing

But also imagine that amongst many tracks. And in order for it to function, you have to click in those boxes with the triangles, or else you lose your selections. However, those boxes are not inviting to be pressed. By just looking at them, I wouldn't know what they are. I don't have to look in the manual to know what "M" or "S" does. And the representation of the automation button is helpful too.

I'm proposing a couple solutions.

OPTION 1: Graphics that resemble what you see in the sequencer

What that shows you:
- The color lines represent the notes you are editing (still using each track's color here)
- The grey lines are the 'ghosted' note lanes (like ghosted notes in the sequencer).
- And then the empty box is implied that you aren't seeing those notes at all

OPTION 2: Eye symbols indicating what you see

What that shows you:
- The color filled box with the open eye is what you are editing
- The grey box with the open eye is the ghost lane
- The eye with the strikethrough is the lane you don't see

What do you think? I think something could be done with the multi-lane edit selection to make it much more intuitive and I hope these inspire something. I like option 1—it's the most obvious and best type of representation IMO. I feel like you can look at that and know exactly what you're looking at and what it does.

deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2020

I must say, I struggle with figuring out where i am in the sequencer many times.. I actually avoid the sequencer as much as possible and work soley in sequences until I got an idea fleshed out
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

joeyluck

15 Jul 2020

deeplink wrote:
15 Jul 2020
I must say, I struggle with figuring out where i am in the sequencer many times.. I actually avoid the sequencer as much as possible and work soley in sequences until I got an idea fleshed out
Are you referring to the Sequences player by Robotic Bean?

deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
15 Jul 2020
deeplink wrote:
15 Jul 2020
I am indeed :) I have considered making the polystep move tho
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

joeyluck

15 Jul 2020

deeplink wrote:
15 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
15 Jul 2020

I am indeed :) I have considered making the polystep move tho
Cool, well that's a good review at least for Sequences if you prefer it to using Reason's sequencer.

guitfnky

15 Jul 2020

that is definitely confusing. personally, I like option 2, since it can’t get more clear than an eyeball to indicate whether it means you’re looking at something.

another infuriating thing with multi note lanes is that if you’re editing in one lane, that is NOT necessarily the lane you’ll be recording into. can’t tell you how many times I’ve been editing a kick drum track and ended up recording my kicks on, say, a crash cymbal track instead. definitely starting to see why many would like to see the MIDI editing overhauled.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

15 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
15 Jul 2020
that is definitely confusing. personally, I like option 2, since it can’t get more clear than an eyeball to indicate whether it means you’re looking at something.

another infuriating thing with multi note lanes is that if you’re editing in one lane, that is NOT necessarily the lane you’ll be recording into. can’t tell you how many times I’ve been editing a kick drum track and ended up recording my kicks on, say, a crash cymbal track instead. definitely starting to see why many would like to see the MIDI editing overhauled.
Yeah and I think the highlighting could use some help as well. It's either grey (not selected) or a slightly darker shade of grey (selected).

It's easier to see in my examples because they are small and simple. But when you have a big project and a track selected at the top, one selected in the middle, and another at the bottom...it's damn hard to see what you have selected :shock:

Overall I think the sequencer items could be presented better. Maybe something they will do with a graphics overhaul.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2020

Agree with both of you. I often record on two channels by mistake cause you don't really see well what tracks are armed.

And the multi lane selection needs several improvements.

Besides the visuals your mention another problem is: if one of the tracks has notes in a different octave the multi lane is not very useful, your still have to sit and count your way and with no clear octave separation in the piano roll, it is very uninspiring.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

ProfessaKaos

26 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Jul 2020
This is something I find that I struggle with, but also as I try to teach friends and colleagues how to use Reason, this is one of those things that comes up every time and seems very unintuitive. It's not presented in a way that you would know how to use it without a manual. And even when I know how to use it, I'm straining my eyes to focus on what exactly I'm looking at.

This is how multi-lane selection is presented currently:

What that shows is this:
- The top two are selected to be viewed in multi-lane
- The bottom one is not
- The top-most one is selected for editing

But also imagine that amongst many tracks. And in order for it to function, you have to click in those boxes with the triangles, or else you lose your selections. However, those boxes are not inviting to be pressed. By just looking at them, I wouldn't know what they are. I don't have to look in the manual to know what "M" or "S" does. And the representation of the automation button is helpful too.

I'm proposing a couple solutions.

OPTION 1: Graphics that resemble what you see in the sequencer

What that shows you:
- The color lines represent the notes you are editing (still using each track's color here)
- The grey lines are the 'ghosted' note lanes (like ghosted notes in the sequencer).
- And then the empty box is implied that you aren't seeing those notes at all

OPTION 2: Eye symbols indicating what you see

What that shows you:
- The color filled box with the open eye is what you are editing
- The grey box with the open eye is the ghost lane
- The eye with the strikethrough is the lane you don't see

What do you think? I think something could be done with the multi-lane edit selection to make it much more intuitive and I hope these inspire something. I like option 1—it's the most obvious and best type of representation IMO. I feel like you can look at that and know exactly what you're looking at and what it does.
Great idea and much needed. I always find myself trying to figure out how to view multiple lanes of different instruments at once and when I get it to work I still really don't know what I did to get it to finally work. The way it is at the moment is not inviting at all, I tend to steer away from it, trying to get it to work as it is total ruins momentum and vibe for me.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

joeyluck

27 Jul 2020

Thanks! Yeah I think another issue as I mentioned is the highlighting. There should definitely be more contrast or stronger indicator.

I've often moved, deleted, recorded over tracks that I did not intend to because I didn't realize they were selected. It's hard to view even with a handful of tracks. But then within a large project? It's impossible.

Creativemind

25 Jan 2021

Great idea here Joey. Think the eye probably is the one I'd go for for me as well. The only thing I'd say though about the eye with the line through it, it does look a bit like a phase invert or cancellation icon I've seen in another daw.

I just like to ask, has there ever been a functionality changed before in Reason though? Can't think of one since I started using it in 2012 (6.5), oh apart from the changing of the transport and things added to it.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

joeyluck

25 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Great idea here Joey. Think the eye probably is the one I'd go for for me as well.

I just like to ask, has there ever been a functionality changed before in Reason though? Can't think of one since I started using it in 2012 (6.5), oh apart from the changing of the transport and things added to it.
Thanks. There's been a few things, but this isn't a functionality change really, it's just changing graphics, which we have seen plenty of.

For instance, the "arrow" you see in the Sequencer, which apparently many people didn't realize what it was in the Rack, used to be a little MIDI symbol in the Sequencer:

Reason 2.jpg
Reason 2.jpg (95.28 KiB) Viewed 927 times

And then it was a little keyboard icon:

Reason 3.jpg
Reason 3.jpg (359.04 KiB) Viewed 927 times

And then it was a keybed that appeared under the device with a red highlight around the device:

Reason 4.jpg
Reason 4.jpg (91.7 KiB) Viewed 927 times

And now it is an arrow, which isn't a good representation clearly if people don't realize what it is and what it does in the Rack.

Creativemind

25 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Creativemind wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Great idea here Joey. Think the eye probably is the one I'd go for for me as well.

Thanks. There's been a few things, but this isn't a functionality change really, it's just changing graphics, which we have seen plenty of.

For instance, the "arrow" you see in the Sequencer, which apparently many people didn't realize what it was in the Rack, used to be a little MIDI symbol in the Sequencer:

Reason 2.jpg

And then it was a little keyboard icon:

Reason 3.jpg

And then it was a keybed that appeared under the device with a red highlight around the device:

Reason 4.jpg

And now it is an arrow, which isn't a good representation clearly if people don't realize what it is and what it does in the Rack.
:thumbs_up:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information