MIDI Track ?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Busta US

05 Dec 2019

We can create an Audio Track and a Mix Channel, but we can't create a MIDI track :roll:

It'd be nice to just be able to swap samples directly inside a MIDI track that has a piano roll inside the sequencer.

Any ideas why this hasn't been done?

orthodox
RE Developer

05 Dec 2019

You can create a MIDI track, just it has to be bound to some specific instrument. Create an ID8 or NN-XT or a Combinator and you get a MIDI track.

Busta US

08 Dec 2019

orthodox wrote:
05 Dec 2019
You can create a MIDI track, just it has to be bound to some specific instrument. Create an ID8 or NN-XT or a Combinator and you get a MIDI track.
I guess you're right....I wish it was as accessible as right-clicking and adding the Audio Track in the sequencer. The combi does not accept Wav files unless I'm doing something wrong. The NN-XT def does the job I guess. Same goes for the ID8.

It's true that you can only add audio by creating the Audio Track, not so much the case with Midi. Yet I don't see any harm in adding the possibility to add a Midi Track for faster workflow.

Proboscis

08 Dec 2019

I have an empty Combinator template that's in my browser shortcut window, so creating a MIDI track is literally ONE CLICK and a drag into the sequencer. Not sure how you think they could make any faster workflow changes than a single click ;)

Proboscis

08 Dec 2019

On reflection, I could probably been a bit more helpful if you are a new user. So here we go:

1. Create an empty Combinator and save that patch as a template
2. In the Reason Browser, navigate to that template's location
3. Drag it into the far left panel of the browser, at the bottom. This is the 'favorites' section, which you can add to anytime. In this process the combinator will now stay there as a shortcut until you delete it.
4. Anytime you want to add a MIDI note lane, you simply drag it to the sequencer.

As a bonus, you have a 'clean slate' device in which to add any instrument(s) you want. My go-to template has a 14:2 mixer in the patch, and Rotary 4 programmed as a master gain control. But you can just as soon have a totally empty Combinator if that suited you better.
midi.png
midi.png (51.88 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

Busta US

10 Dec 2019

Proboscis wrote:
08 Dec 2019
On reflection, I could probably been a bit more helpful if you are a new user. So here we go:

1. Create an empty Combinator and save that patch as a template
2. In the Reason Browser, navigate to that template's location
3. Drag it into the far left panel of the browser, at the bottom. This is the 'favorites' section, which you can add to anytime. In this process the combinator will now stay there as a shortcut until you delete it.
4. Anytime you want to add a MIDI note lane, you simply drag it to the sequencer.

As a bonus, you have a 'clean slate' device in which to add any instrument(s) you want. My go-to template has a 14:2 mixer in the patch, and Rotary 4 programmed as a master gain control. But you can just as soon have a totally empty Combinator if that suited you better.

midi.png
Thank you for this :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

10 Dec 2019

You can also drag an empty Combinator directly from the Utilities tab in the browser - it's at the top which makes it easy to find!
(assuming you don't want to add anything by default, in which case the Favorites method is much quicker)
[you can also right click and add it in the rack from Utilities, second in the list below Audio Track (not sure why Audio Track is there, as it's already in the popup menu at the very top)]
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2019

Samples go in an Audio Track - assuming you are putting them directly on the timeline as some people do - or in a sample playing instrument like NN-XT.

You can either swap all the samples in the track (seems messy to me if this is drums) or if using NN-XT, simply swap the sample in NN-XT and the MIDI will now play the new sound.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information