Shading every other bar on sequencer

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
craste

15 Sep 2019

Why doesn't reason have evey other bar in the sequencer a different shade/colour like it does in other DAWS - so that when you are doing drum pattens etc. you know you are at the start of the next bar - so simple and it would be so easy to implement.

This would help pople so much especially if you are producing dance music!

At the moment its like staring at a spreadsheet and its really hard to see when you are at the next bar unless you look at the bar numbers at the top - it makes your eyes go funny, its really annoying!!!!

Creativemind

15 Sep 2019

I'll add that to the 140 other missing features I counted today lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

gullum

15 Sep 2019

Creativemind wrote:
15 Sep 2019
if they were never there they can't be missing right? or is reason starting to loose futures now :D

Creativemind

15 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
15 Sep 2019
Creativemind wrote:
15 Sep 2019
if they were never there they can't be missing right? or is reason starting to loose futures now :D
Loose features, the only things that are loose are the screws on the rack on my Subtractor sometimes. ;-)

Jagwah

16 Sep 2019

craste wrote:
15 Sep 2019
Why doesn't reason have evey other bar in the sequencer a different shade/colour like it does in other DAWS - so that when you are doing drum pattens etc. you know you are at the start of the next bar - so simple and it would be so easy to implement.
Have you tried using coloured blocks, I've been doing this for years (see pic). If you want to wait for your idea to be implemented, just remember we can't even get a marker in the sequencer and it's probably been asked for, for at least ten years. Just like coloured clips however, they do throw us some crumbs for the sequencer every 5 or 6 years so here's to hoping you might get the crumb you want one day in our lifetimes :)

coloured blocks.jpg
coloured blocks.jpg (149.24 KiB) Viewed 2072 times

WillyOD

16 Sep 2019

Sorry, Props run out of colors a long time ago.

Otherwise we'd have more track color selections (or customizable color palette).

They also forgot this when they added the Blue and Dark themes. Not enough paint to finish all the coloring.

;D
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

boingy

16 Sep 2019

And if you want fewer colours, start using blocks.

guitfnky

16 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
16 Sep 2019
how does that work? I’ve never seen fewer colors when I use Blocks. 🤔
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

boingy

16 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2019
boingy wrote:
16 Sep 2019
If I could be bothered I'd do you a screenshot. Creating blocks uses the track colours but when you switch to song view and "paint" in your blocks you just get various pale pastel shades across all tracks. So unless you overwrite the blocks with extra stuff the timeline view might as well be on a monochrome monitor. Just one more reason not to use blocks. :thumbs_down:

Jagwah's use of empty blocks as track markers is about the best use of blocks I've seen! Quite why we can't have a proper marker track and a proper arranger track is beyond me. It works for the rest of the DAW world....

guitfnky

16 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
16 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2019

If I could be bothered I'd do you a screenshot. Creating blocks uses the track colours but when you switch to song view and "paint" in your blocks you just get various pale pastel shades across all tracks. So unless you overwrite the blocks with extra stuff the timeline view might as well be on a monochrome monitor. Just one more reason not to use blocks. :thumbs_down:

Jagwah's use of empty blocks as track markers is about the best use of blocks I've seen! Quite why we can't have a proper marker track and a proper arranger track is beyond me. It works for the rest of the DAW world....
that doesn’t limit the number of colors you can use though, unless I’m misunderstanding.

the *actual* best use of Blocks is as it’s intended—for quickly trying different song structures, but hey, you do you. :lol:
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

gullum

16 Sep 2019

Creativemind wrote:
15 Sep 2019
gullum wrote:
15 Sep 2019

Loose features, the only things that are loose are the screws on the rack on my Subtractor sometimes. ;-)
sorry I guess the right word is Lose but I'm from a country where English is not even the 2. language

Proboscis

17 Sep 2019

In the absence of marker regions, I also use the Block Arranger (although I never actually use blocks themselves). The colors can be changed to any of the 32 colors in the Reason palette, plus you can add labels to each of them. Another painless workaround that's quick & easy.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (6.93 KiB) Viewed 1913 times

Jagwah

17 Sep 2019

^^^ Plus you can put different coloured blocks on top of those blocks for more defined markers.

boingy wrote:
16 Sep 2019
...why we can't have a proper marker track and a proper arranger track is beyond me.
We can, we just need it to be the most talked about and requested feature with a 1000 page thread with everybody begging for it, then we wait for the next major release, then the next one, then the next one. It's only a matter of great effort on everybody's behalf and many many years with no idea if it will ever happen, pretty simple, unless you are a sooky la la like me who has become soured by this very protocol. :x
Last edited by Jagwah on 18 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

pushedbutton

17 Sep 2019

Double rainbow mode first.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7322424
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

boingy

18 Sep 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
17 Sep 2019
Not quite your double rainbow mode but in Studio One piano roll you can set the colours by part, pitch or velocity:

I don't think there is a way to shade alternate bars though.

Creativemind

22 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
17 Sep 2019
^^^ Plus you can put different coloured blocks on top of those blocks for more defined markers.

boingy wrote:
16 Sep 2019
...why we can't have a proper marker track and a proper arranger track is beyond me.
We can, we just need it to be the most talked about and requested feature with a 1000 page thread with everybody begging for it, then we wait for the next major release, then the next one, then the next one. It's only a matter of great effort on everybody's behalf and many many years with no idea if it will ever happen, pretty simple, unless you are a sooky la la like me who has become soured by this very protocol. :x
Lol!

They do like to feed us these crumbs like we're seagulls. :lol:

Creativemind

22 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
18 Sep 2019
pushedbutton wrote:
17 Sep 2019
Not quite your double rainbow mode but in Studio One piano roll you can set the colours by part, pitch or velocity:

I don't think there is a way to shade alternate bars though.
Nice idea that.

• Information