Effects follow pan feature

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Aqumen

21 Jun 2019

It would be nice to get an effects follow pan feature like all other Daws. It can be done in reason, but it requires each channel to have it's own separate effect. I.e. panning a reverb is very easy to do in reason, problem is you can't send all your channels to that same reverb because everything ends up getting panned to one side. Post pan allows the send effects to follow the pan positions of each instrument. Would also like an identical rack version of the channel compressor to allow for serial compression.

selig
RE Developer

21 Jun 2019

Reason’s sends already follow the channel panning, assuming all panning comes from the channel and not a stereo source and assuming a true stereo FX device. Works great for reverbs, delays, pitch changers, phasers, flangers, chorus, etc.

One great variation on this that I love to use is to reverse the send cables. Then for every channel in the mixer, the FX will automatically pan opposite of the source. For example, if you pan a synth line hard left, the FX will all be hard right. Panning another instrument hard right gives you FX panned hard left. Any instrument you pan half way left will have effects panned halfway right and vise-versa. And of course, anything panned center will have FX panned center.

This gives you lots of mileage for one effect - but this effect must be true stereo. For FX that are not true stereo, such as the RV-7000, simply use one device for each channel. This approach also allows you to slightly vary the left vs right effect settings.
Selig Audio, LLC

Aqumen

21 Jun 2019

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the effects already follow channel pan as you say, then why does the fx return have a pan? It's what I've been doing. I wanted to use mono reverbs for extra separation of instruments, so i use 2 devices and then use the fx return pan to place the reverb behind the instrument. Without using the fx pan, the mono reverb stays dead center. Again I might be wrong, but this is why I'm questioning whether the fx follow pan as you say.

selig
RE Developer

24 Aug 2022

Aqumen wrote:
21 Jun 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the effects already follow channel pan as you say, then why does the fx return have a pan? It's what I've been doing. I wanted to use mono reverbs for extra separation of instruments, so i use 2 devices and then use the fx return pan to place the reverb behind the instrument. Without using the fx pan, the mono reverb stays dead center. Again I might be wrong, but this is why I'm questioning whether the fx follow pan as you say.
Resurrecting an old post to say - try it yourself, it works!
I'm guessing you used a mono/stereo effect like the RV-7000, which takes it's input and makes it mono THEN feeds it to a stereo effect internally. So no panning would be retained, which is why you use two RV-7000s or a true stereo FX. You can see the routing if you flip to the back of the device and check out the routing icons...
As to why FX returns have pan, same reason bus channels have pan even through you typically use the panning on the individual tracks. It simply allows more flexibility. So even though a bus channel, like an FX send, will follow the panning of the source it still has it's own panning on the 'return' (output).
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information