I've Just About Had it With THESE Reason Annoyances!!

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2018

For F*ck's sake

1. I use all three windows detached and I switch between them with the keyboard, and I am constantly toggling in between the three. I wish that when I solo something on the rack, that it is also noted as solo'd in the mixer view and the sequencer view. Connect these three goddammit! Or give us the option to have them connected. ARGHHHHH!

2. Why doesn't the zoom view get centered on the play marker when I use my mouse wheel to zoom in or out???!?!? I thought they addressed this a while ago??? Am I missing something/doing something wrong? ARGHHHH!!!!

3. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ADD A 'BYPASS' TO THE GODDAMN PLUGIN WINDOW. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

4. Could we please enable or disable plugins and rack extensions without having to close and open Reason?!?!? Can I disable a rack extension without having to delete it from the authorizer? If I chose to add it back I have to log on to my prop account, re download it then re-sync, all for just one measly Selig remark RE (no offense) ???? ARGHGHGHGH!!!!!

5. This one is a little more specific, but I recently came across an issue with the Bluecat Patchwork plugin, where I had it in my default template, and so for whatever reason it started to crash Reason so that when I started Reason, and tried to load my start-up template, Reason would just crash and close. No way to get back in because it consistently crashed. So, I had to figure out how to open Reason without it crashing, and that meant:

1) moving my default template from its original location
2) then opening Reason and bypassing the "template song missing" dialog
3) then disabling the plugin in the manage plugins box
4) then OF COURSE CLOSING AND OPENING REASON ARGHHH!
5) but before opening Reason, moving my template back to its original place
6) opening Reason, dealing with the "you're missing a VST ' dialog
7) finally deleting the offending plugin from the rack.

SERIOUSLY???

SOMETIMES I THINK YOU GUYS DON'T USE YOU'RE OWN PROGRAM FOR ANYTHING SERIOUS.

YEAH, I'M SCREAMING CUZ I'M ANNNNNNOYED. WITH SIX 'N's" GODDAMMIT.

This shit is PINEAPPLES.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2018

Hm. None of this stuff seems to bother me.

It's hard to say this without sounding like a complete fanboy but, there really isn't anything that bothers me in Reason that would make me so angry. I just take a deep breath, workout the issue, and move forward with my production.

If you're getting that annoyed, maybe it's not the best state of mind to be working on music? Just a thought!

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2018

It's not anger. it's annoyance!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

normen

13 Jan 2018

1) Its different solo functions so its different buttons - those that are the same are mirrored (e.g. channel solo)
2) Why would it? Which DAW does that by default?
4) Why "disable" it while working in a project? Whats the workflow there that makes that necessary?
5) Uhm, so what would a software that you wrote do when the user says "please use this file when you start up" and then that file is corrupted or - "for whatever reason" as you put it - crashes the application? You found the exact workaround for that issue because its obvious that this has to be done - make that broken file unavailable.. Whats the problem specifically with Reason in that case? I do that workaround not only in Reason since the 1900s ;)

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
13 Jan 2018

1) Its different solo functions so its different buttons - those that are the same are mirrored (e.g. channel solo) - Well give me the mirrored option anyway.

2) Why would it? Which DAW does that by default? Logic. Zooming with the wheel maintains zoom focus at the playhead.

4) Why "disable" it while working in a project? Whats the workflow there that makes that necessary? - Do not tell me this would not come in handy. I tried Repro-5 and decided it just wasn't special enough to keep so I disabled it, but then decided later that maybe it would fit with the track that I was working on, and wanted to try it again without having to close out the project and program. Or maybe I deleted a rack extension I purchased because I hated it, but then opened a song requiring it. Now what? Again, Logic does this the way I want it to. And don't give me the "well why don't you use Logic?" crap, lol cuz I DO.

5) Uhm, so what would a software that you wrote do when the user says "please use this file when you start up" and then that file is corrupted or - "for whatever reason" as you put it - crashes the application? You found the exact workaround for that issue because its obvious that this has to be done - make that broken file unavailable.. Whats the problem specifically with Reason in that case? I do that workaround not only in Reason since the 1900s ;) - Well, this is 2018. How about having a dialog box that says "this plugin is broken, open without it?" And then I click "yes, goddammit". Done.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

ravisoni

13 Jan 2018

I feel your frustration. Of late, with me using RE synths, I have often run into the problem of not being able to freeze tracks (which is what I think you mean by disabling certain REs/VSTs?) Also the mute thing, man, that drives me bananas. They need to introduce template functions for workflows, much like they have template project files.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

normen

13 Jan 2018

hurricane wrote:
13 Jan 2018
Well give me the mirrored option anyway.
The channel mixer button is mirrored both in the mixer and in the rack. The sequencer mute button mutes the track with the MIDI data, not the channel. You can make multiple sequencer tracks that end up in only one mixer channel and vice versa - which mute button should be displayed in addition to the sequencer track mute button? :)

By the way thats the same in Logic for pure sequencer tracks :)
hurricane wrote:
13 Jan 2018
Logic. Zooming with the wheel maintains zoom focus at the playhead.
Uh, okay.. Guess that has been introduced since I moved to touch pads then - there thats (luckily) not the case.
hurricane wrote:
13 Jan 2018
Do not tell me this would not come in handy.
I'm not telling you anything I am asking why you have to do that while the project stays open which you still didn't answer.
hurricane wrote:
13 Jan 2018
Well, this is 2018. How about having a dialog box that says "this plugin is broken, open without it?" And then I click "yes, goddammit". Done.
So you're annoyed about the crash itself, why do you paint it as if the problem is solving such an issue in Reason? I mean you even recounted the steps. They would have been the same if it was another application and the bug wasn't in the application but in the OS reading that file.. And as you said you still don't know why it crashed, it could just as well be your HDD dissolving.

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2018

Well Normen, those were for Propellerhead. Thanks for your input.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

esselfortium

13 Jan 2018

Zooming with the scroll wheel is centered on where the mouse cursor currently is, which makes sense because you can quickly and easily determine exactly what you want to zoom into. That's how it works in most other software I've used with zoom functionality, too.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

13 Jan 2018

hurricane wrote:Well Normen, those were for Propellerhead. Thanks for your input.
I will remind you this is not a Propellerhead forum. If you want to make suggestions to the Props, best to send them directly to the Props.

And I’m not telling you how to communicate, but only suggesting you may want to phrase your requests less aggressively if your desire is to communicate your suggestions clearly and respectfully.

You’re of course more than welcome to vent your frustration here if that’s what floats your boat.

But be mindful that if you post here, a user forum, you WILL get feedback from other users and probably won’t get the desired attention of the Props.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
13 Jan 2018
hurricane wrote:Well Normen, those were for Propellerhead. Thanks for your input.
And I’m not telling you how to communicate, but...

Lol, I think you are. Like when someone says "I don't mean to make excuses, but...." and then they rattle off excuses.

Yes I'm venting, thank you. This is aimed at the Props. Propellerhead members have stated they look at this section of the forum specifically, so...

And yes, I also send things to them directly. You think I was harsh here???? You wanna see my emails? :puf_wink:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

normen

14 Jan 2018

hurricane wrote:
13 Jan 2018
Well Normen, those were for Propellerhead. Thanks for your input.
You're welcome, I can help you refine further feature requests to the props as well, just post them here.

Edit: Erm - oops, Aspergers can be such a nice thing ^^

antic604

14 Jan 2018

hurricane wrote:
13 Jan 2018
1. I use all three windows detached and I switch between them with the keyboard, and I am constantly toggling in between the three. I wish that when I solo something on the rack, that it is also noted as solo'd in the mixer view and the sequencer view. Connect these three goddammit! Or give us the option to have them connected. ARGHHHHH!
That bothered me initially as well ...until I understood the difference: the solo/mute on mixer channels and channel strips in Rack and Mixer respectively are connected (they're the same), but the ones in sequencer are for the DATA in the sequencer, so eg. if you have multiple MIDI or parameter lanes per track you can mute or solo them individually, which is pure genius and UNIQUE across the DAWs I've used!
hurricane wrote:
13 Jan 2018
2. Why doesn't the zoom view get centered on the play marker when I use my mouse wheel to zoom in or out???!?!? I thought they addressed this a while ago??? Am I missing something/doing something wrong? ARGHHHH!!!!
It does, around the mouse pointer which is how most software works.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jan 2018

hurricane wrote:
13 Jan 2018
selig wrote:
13 Jan 2018

And I’m not telling you how to communicate, but...

Lol, I think you are. Like when someone says "I don't mean to make excuses, but...." and then they rattle off excuses.

Yes I'm venting, thank you. This is aimed at the Props. Propellerhead members have stated they look at this section of the forum specifically, so...

And yes, I also send things to them directly. You think I was harsh here???? You wanna see my emails? :puf_wink:
I wonder if you've mistaken my suggestion that to get your needs met you may want to consider a change in your language with some sort of "command" that you need to change your tone!

You just keep on being you, I'm all for venting! But IF your intention is to make positive changes in reason, you MAY want to consider other ways of communicating! Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, it's just one mans opinion, and not, as you suggest, a contradiction of any sort.

So to be clear, in no way am I telling you how to communicate, but I AM trying to be helpful in case these issues are important to you. Or to put it another way, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Selig Audio, LLC

theshoemaker

14 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
14 Jan 2018
hurricane wrote:
13 Jan 2018

I wonder if you've mistaken my suggestion that to get your needs met you may want to consider a change in your language with some sort of "command" that you need to change your tone!

You just keep on being you, I'm all for venting! But IF your intention is to make positive changes in reason, you MAY want to consider other ways of communicating! Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, it's just one mans opinion, and not, as you suggest, a contradiction of any sort.

So to be clear, in no way am I telling you how to communicate, but I AM trying to be helpful in case these issues are important to you. Or to put it another way, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I am with you! Totally agree.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Namyo85

16 Jan 2018

1. This should be a user preference I agree. Reason does have a very limited palette of user options. One only needs to look at the preferences in Reaper or Cubase for example to see they have so many different, detailed and well thought out options one can change that will appeal to a wide range of users with specific needs.

2. That's been answered somewhere above, using the mouse pointer to centre the zoom area? Need to verify that though.

3. There's a small power button on the vst container, is that what you mean?

4. And I thought my complaints were creative!

5. Unknown.

P.s. It's better to try to be chilled on here, I learnt that the hard way recently. :puf_wink:

• Information