Timeline control!

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
jschlesselman

18 Aug 2017

I do a lot of editing on the timeline in the sequencer. One of my biggest issues with Reason is the "automated jumping", or involuntary movement of the timeline focus coded into the software. Especially when I am zoomed way in editing 32nd notes for example, and I click on an adjacent section and it zips to the beginning, far away from where I am focused. Or, I want to copy and paste something, when I copy the software moves "for me" to the end of the selected notes. How does it know if that is where I intend? It does not. This may be convenient at times, but why in the heck did the developers not allow the user to choose to freeze the timeline or move to areas he/she wishes to on their own? I pray to the powers that be, please include this very simple and very doable feature in Reason ASAP! Give us the freedom of timeline control!

I send my request to Reason feedback on a regular basis. But if anyone here knows what I am talking about, please take the time to send in your feedback as well.

Go here: https://www.propellerheads.se/contact/feedback

thanks, james

Ahornberg

18 Aug 2017

Personally I like the way it actually works in Reason.

selig
RE Developer

18 Aug 2017

I totally agree, and I've heard others express the same opinion - I can think of no positive use of this behavior. And to be clear, sometimes it moves only a bar or less, but it shifts your focus and causes you to have to pause for a few seconds and figure out where/how much it's moved. I have so many little pet peeves about working in the sequencer, little things like this that all add up to things taking much more time than they could/should!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

syncanonymous

22 Aug 2017

I just complained about the wandering playhead in another thread in the general forum. We just need an option to fix the playhead to one spot.
A key command to tab to move playhead to region boundary would also help in this regard, or to whatever...midi note boundaries for example. All this this mousing is inefficient.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

syncanonymous

23 Aug 2017

I just had a look in my other main DAW. The issue Reason has is that the playhead changes focus from the beginning or the end of the clips/regions in the Reason timeline. Zoom is affected by wherever the user is working in this timeline. In my other DAW, the focus of the playhead is always from the beginning regardless of the users position in the timeline or the duration of the "song".
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

Ahornberg

23 Aug 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
22 Aug 2017
I just complained about the wandering playhead in another thread in the general forum. We just need an option to fix the playhead to one spot.
A key command to tab to move playhead to region boundary would also help in this regard, or to whatever...midi note boundaries for example. All this this mousing is inefficient.
"1" moves the playhead to the left locator, "2" moves it to the right locator.

syncanonymous

24 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
23 Aug 2017
Which increases the work. Thanks :-) I know I read that, but never use it. I'll see if that aids me today. Snap is a constantly changing variable in my work. I usually have my loop locators set to a larger area than the looped area I am playing into/editing. Anyway, Tabbing forward or back to the next events or clips/region is something users would enjoy, although a regression from the fact that zooming in Reason can be frustrating.

Ahornberg

24 Aug 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
24 Aug 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
23 Aug 2017
Which increases the work. Thanks :-) I know I read that, but never use it. I'll see if that aids me today. Snap is a constantly changing variable in my work. I usually have my loop locators set to a larger area than the looped area I am playing into/editing. Anyway, Tabbing forward or back to the next events or clips/region is something users would enjoy, although a regression from the fact that zooming in Reason can be frustrating.
Be sure to check the manual for further key commands to improve your workflow :puf_wink:

syncanonymous

09 Sep 2017

I responded a week ago, but I forgot to select all>copy b4 submit and it was gone =-$

Anyhow, I have realized that some of my frustration with playhead jumping around while zooming comes from my not reframing my thinking and looking for the most efficient solution. What I have realized now is that using the hand/grab tool is a more efficient workflow. Before, I was mainly using mouse scroll wheel: zoom waaaay out to "center" the playhead > zoom in. Using the hand/grab tool is MUCH more efficient to place the playhead where you want to zoom to. The only issue, then, becomes the key commands for choosing the tools. Select is Q and Hand/Grab is U. I know it seems trite, but those keys are a fair way away from each other; I shant complain more about it, changing my workflow has really helped.

The thing that doesn't have an improvement that I have found a solution to is playhead location when changing from Edit Mode back to Arrange Mode; the different zoom levels that each mode was last at before the mode change delivers unanticipated results. Sometimes when changing from zoomed in very tight in Edit back to Arrange Mode, the playhead is seldom where I expect to find it. Somehow, I think only a video or in person will be able to best explain :-) I believe that is the functionality the OP is talking about :-)

On the concept of RTFM; the Reason manual is like 1200 pages, man! I have read quite a bit of it; I consult it very often; it Literally PAYS to spend the time to better understand your editing and creation tools rather than continue to waste time Not consulting the manual to find the best solutions to whatever task that may be slowing you down. :-)

Ahornberg

10 Sep 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
09 Sep 2017
[...] On the concept of RTFM; the Reason manual is like 1200 pages, man! [...]
Be glad having a manual like that.
Reason is a quite complex and feature-rich software.

• Information