iOS wireless controller for Reason

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
jfrichards

22 Apr 2017

There are many cool controllers theses days on iPhones and iPads in the various music apps. I would like to see all these types and more put into an iOS app that can send wireless control signals into Reason. Good examples are the strummer in garageband, the strings in garageband, the grid in ikaossilator, the mpc pads in imaschine, the key slides in animoog, etc. etc. Reason could see the app like it sees control surfaces.
Last edited by jfrichards on 25 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

jfrichards

22 Apr 2017

A second page could be Transport controls. A third could be assignable knobs, buttons, and sliders. The new Yamaha bluetooth keyboard is a sign of things to come. And who knows, maybe a lot of people will have iPhones one day.

Gorgon

22 Apr 2017

Two words. Ableton Link
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

jfrichards

22 Apr 2017

Does Ableton Link allow my iPhone to be a controller for Thor?

Koshdukai

22 Apr 2017

jfrichards, have you tried Delora's rsTouch ?
http://www.delora.com/products/rstouch/

I use as a compliment to my other controllers, either wired (iPad USB->MIDI->PC USB or MIDI-over-USB like midimux) or wireless (rtpMIDI) so I guess if you have MIDI-over-Bluetooth working, that could work too (mind the latencies on each of these methods, wired being usually the best, obviously) but it can be used as you main controller, if you like to tap on glass for pads and keys :)

It's a global (traditional) control surface for the Sequencer, Mixer and for each of the rack native devices (and a slowly growing bunch of REs), so you could control everything (allowed) in Thor, for example.

If you have those ideas for a less pad/keyboard-oriented and more alternative type playable surface (strumming, grid, etc), I guess you can always send Delora some feature suggestions :)

jfrichards

24 Apr 2017

Here's a piece of the puzzle. iPhone to run Logic synths.

jfrichards

24 Apr 2017

OMG, the world is working on this stuff:

jfrichards

24 Apr 2017

This is getting really close to what I need for Reason/iPhone work

jfrichards

24 Apr 2017

AC Sabre for iPhone to control softsynths, with hundreds of key/scale/mode choices including motion sensing, all for $5 WHAT?????!!!!!!

jfrichards

24 Apr 2017

Can anyone set this up for Reason please? Please write down the steps to connect my iPhone to my iMac with Reason.

jfrichards

24 Apr 2017

Stratatonic gave me some tips and it is now working super well. Great for Parsec bass lines, orchestral strings, pianos, etc. Excellent for using with the Scales & Chords player. And I'm just learning about its own scales and modes. I haven't learned how to keep it precise yet, but a little Quantization goes a long way.

I'm using my home wifi network for the iPhone sending MIDI into the iMac, very nice. Cool to have the two extremes, the MPK88 and the iPhone, as controllers. With the Fishman TriplePlay in-between. Really feels like the future.

https://allihoopa.com/s/dxJsSJfg

dpcoffin

25 Apr 2017

jfrichards wrote:Stratatonic gave me some tips and it is now working super well.
Care to share? TIA!

jfrichards

25 Apr 2017

These are the tips Stratatonic gave me in the Hardware and Other Software section of the forum:
1- make sure your Network session is enabled on the mac through Audio/MIDI Setup. And that your iPhone is selected and connected.
2- Network Session OUT is enabled on your iOS app
3- In Reason, Preferences >> Control Surfaces >> Double click on iPhone and make sure MIDI Input "Network Session" is enabled.

I'll try and write down all the details, but this guidance was correct.

Here is the iPhone app, AC Sabre, playing a piano/strings patch in Parsec:
https://allihoopa.com/s/SY04uWAX
Last edited by jfrichards on 25 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

jfrichards

25 Apr 2017

I read the connectivity booklet for AC Sabre on their website:
http://air-craft.co/support/ac-sabre-ma ... onnection/

jfrichards

25 Apr 2017

The AC Sabre User's Manual is amazing.

http://air-craft.co/support/ac-sabre-manual/

dpcoffin

25 Apr 2017

Thank you! Looks really cool:)

vondersulzburg

01 May 2017

I just downloaded it and it works really fine. No problems with the connection via bluetooth.
MacBook Air 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, Reason 11 Suite, LogicProX, FL-Studio, Live10Suite

jfrichards

01 May 2017

I'm looking forward to the day when a musician shows up at a gig with just a laptop and an iPhone, playing songs on Parsec, Serum and Miroslav.

• Information