THOR MkII update request

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
AsaWyon

13 Apr 2016

I would like to suggest that forget the ADSR sections. Several RE already provide programmable curves with looping for amp and env filter instead static ADSR.
I expect the same for oscilator curves. This is already available in some RE and also will be in the OchenK synth.
And for sure there are CVs to control the values or through the mod matrix.

Aquila

15 Apr 2016

FIlters that don't attenuate when adding resonance.

Creativemind

01 May 2016

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:Regarding the NN-Nano, I'd love to see a waveform view in the Kong with more intuitive controls for setting loop points, start and stops etc. But before they do any of that they need to make a scalable UI for the Rack, it's way overdue!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
By scalable, you mean zoom in/out?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

fieldframe
RE Developer

01 May 2016

I'd love to see a Thor SDK. The one thing I see preventing it, though, is that I understand the instrument to be a pretty tightly-coded device that could lose a lot of its famous efficiency if it had to integrate with third-party code. I've no doubt each of its oscs and filters is extensively optimized for Thor's architecture, and the reverse is probably true as well – the architecture of the synth is optimized for how the analog, phase mod, etc. components are built.

All that said, computers are much faster than they were in 2007 when Thor was new. I think we could probably afford a performance hit if it meant new add-ins for Thor.

Creativemind

08 May 2016

riemac wrote:
dioxide wrote:Add a fourth oscillator! And allow RE devs to create filter and oscillators for Thor. Who wouldn't want to use those Primal Audio filters in Thor? Oh yeah and Subtractor/Malstrom Oscillators.
Exactly my thought. Why not open up Thor for RE developers. I made this sugestion on the old PUF and called it Thor Extensions.
Have either of you to or anyone else messaged Propellerhead to suggest any of these things?

riemac

08 May 2016

Creativemind wrote:
riemac wrote:
dioxide wrote:Add a fourth oscillator! And allow RE devs to create filter and oscillators for Thor. Who wouldn't want to use those Primal Audio filters in Thor? Oh yeah and Subtractor/Malstrom Oscillators.
Exactly my thought. Why not open up Thor for RE developers. I made this sugestion on the old PUF and called it Thor Extensions.
Have either of you to or anyone else messaged Propellerhead to suggest any of these things?
No, but I know that propellerheads are reading our posts.
I asked in a thread who developed parsec and Mathias answered the same day.

dioxide

12 May 2016

Creativemind wrote:
riemac wrote:
No, but I think it would just go into the giant pile of user requests. I'm sure it must have crossed their mind but I guess their to-do list is too long already.

RandomSkratch

12 May 2016

selig wrote: Imagine an NNXT with Thor's filters, extra oscillators, routing, etc.
Wouldn't this already be possible using Thor's audio input and modulation matrix?

OverneathTheSkyBridg

18 May 2016

Creativemind wrote:
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:Regarding the NN-Nano, I'd love to see a waveform view in the Kong with more intuitive controls for setting loop points, start and stops etc. But before they do any of that they need to make a scalable UI for the Rack, it's way overdue!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
By scalable, you mean zoom in/out?
Yeah zoom with some sort of smoothing. Its very tiny with modern higher resolution monitors. It was fine when 1024X768 was the norm, but now that resolutions are so much higher its hard to see everything. Modulation matrix in Thor is a batch to my old eyes lol.

Creativemind

13 Jun 2016

Also would Thor benefit from more Rotaries and Buttons, maybe 4 of each?

Gorgon

13 Jun 2016

Creativemind wrote:Also would Thor benefit from more Rotaries and Buttons, maybe 4 of each?
Why?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

RandomSkratch

13 Jun 2016

Creativemind wrote:Also would Thor benefit from more Rotaries and Buttons, maybe 4 of each?
If you put a Thor into a Combinator you would get 4 more rotaries and buttons.

Creativemind

13 Jun 2016

RandomSkratch wrote:
If you put a Thor into a Combinator you would get 4 more rotaries and buttons.
True!

adfielding

14 Jun 2016

riemac wrote:I wish Propellerhead would update THOR in the next Reason update. Now that Propellerhead has updated the RV-7000 to MkII, why not update THOR next.
I think THOR's semi-modular architecture is great for adding new oscillator- or filter-moduls. THOR is allready a great synth and could be even better with some new modern additions. Even Steinberg updated there synth Retrologue to MkII.
I'd love to see more modules for Thor. That said... you know what I would absolutely *love* to see? A semi modular synth that's similar in design, but has a shop for additional modules - similar to REs. Mix and match your oscillators & filters, maybe even swap out the effects... that would be incredible.

RandomSkratch

14 Jun 2016

adfielding wrote:
riemac wrote:I wish Propellerhead would update THOR in the next Reason update. Now that Propellerhead has updated the RV-7000 to MkII, why not update THOR next.
I think THOR's semi-modular architecture is great for adding new oscillator- or filter-moduls. THOR is allready a great synth and could be even better with some new modern additions. Even Steinberg updated there synth Retrologue to MkII.
I'd love to see more modules for Thor. That said... you know what I would absolutely *love* to see? A semi modular synth that's similar in design, but has a shop for additional modules - similar to REs. Mix and match your oscillators & filters, maybe even swap out the effects... that would be incredible.
Not more places to charge money for things! Soon we'll have to buy patch cables! Custom colours and designs.

TheGuyNotNamedBob

14 Jun 2016

I agree with your idea Adam, and I like your other idea (swappable modules from the stock synths) and think these would go great together. Maybe something like this

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/modula ... 9inch.html

That you can throw modules in (front panel routing?)

Creativemind

04 Jul 2016

I did a design earlier of a Thor 2.

A 4th Oscillator slot, 4 effects top right (although not labelled on the attached pic) but will be in this order:- Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Flanger. Distortion can obviously be added using the shaper. Maybe give us something extra in that selection too. To the left of the Filter and Amp Envelopes as you will see, is the corresponding ADSR envelopes which can be switched/toggled via the arrow seen top right of the ADSR line box, switched/toggled between the Filter, Amp and Mod Envelopes. Also on that section I was thinking, have a Compressor and EQ too which can be switched/toggled to. The envelope lines will adjust the corresponding envelope sliders and vice versa. So move the sliders and it moves the lines, move the lines and it moves the sliders.

Above the Filter and Amp Envelopes you will see Unison Voice Spread section with 3 knobs. Voices (maybe up to 49 or 99), Detune and Spread Amount knobs.

The Mix section will obviously need adjusting to accommodate for the now 4 oscillator slots (which isn't done in the pic) and the 3 oscillator selectors for Filters 1 and 2 will need extending from 3 to 4 a piece.

I suggest having a 7th oscillator type too, an NN-Nano Oscillator as previously suggested by Selig, maybe even an 8th, the Malstrom one sounds great too, and a 5th filter type which I'm not sure of what yet. If anyone would like to suggest one, go for it. More wavetables for the wavetable oscillator too wouldn't be missed. Also, extend/improve the Phase Modulation Osc to better represent the CZ-101 Phase Distortion Synthesis approach it'd supposed to represent.

I've also heard a couple of things said in other threads for the lfo's and the mod matrix.

This would make Thor or Thor 2 in this case, imo about the best stock synth going.

I wanted to add a 'Chord Memory' feature like you have on Rob Papens Predator as well but couldn't see a place to put it, unless something could be put in between filter 3 and the effects section middle right?

EDIT:- Sorry the pic isn't better as I did it in paint haha! also, not entirely sure how Unsion Voice Spread works so had to go on what I saw on other vst's and put what I thought was right from what I saw.
Attachments
Thor2.4.jpg
Thor2.4.jpg (161.88 KiB) Viewed 1851 times

Marco Raaphorst

04 Jul 2016

Or: just release all the filters, shapers, ocs as half rack devices so we can combine them in a modular way.

Creativemind

04 Jul 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Or: just release all the filters, shapers, ocs as half rack devices so we can combine them in a modular way.
Bit like the Ochen K A Series then, the Thor version!

adfielding

04 Jul 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Or: just release all the filters, shapers, ocs as half rack devices so we can combine them in a modular way.
YES God yes

Marco Raaphorst

04 Jul 2016

Reason 10, the modular edition. Including object scripting for "communication through patch cords".

Creativemind

15 Jul 2016

I've added a NN-Nano Oscillator and a Malstrom Oscillator to 2 empty slots on my Thor2 pic.

Wasn't sure what to go with for the Malstrom. Both Oscillators or just the one as you could add 2 Malstrom Oscillators if you so wished.

I mentioned before as well about an extra filter type in the filter section but wasn't sure what.

Maybe a Multi-Filter, which could be a Low Pass, Band Pass, Band Reject and High Pass Filter in one?
Attachments
Thor2.6.jpg
Thor2.6.jpg (209.18 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
Thor2.5.jpg
Thor2.5.jpg (210.65 KiB) Viewed 1812 times

selig
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

I would want a "poly-modular" environment, something I've been suggesting since back when Thor was first released. In other words, basically an "empty" Thor shell into which we insert our own selection of modules of any type and number (up to a limit, of course). I was envisioning an API "500 series" type environment to save space and allow maximum module count.

But the idea is to allow full polyphonic interconnection and audio rate modulation, something that would not be as easy to implement with REs.

Or maybe this should be a part of a Combinator II?
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

Creativemind wrote:I've added a NN-Nano Oscillator and a Malstrom Oscillator to 2 empty slots on my Thor2 pic.

Wasn't sure what to go with for the Malstrom. Both Oscillators or just the one as you could add 2 Malstrom Oscillators if you so wished.

I mentioned before as well about an extra filter type in the filter section but wasn't sure what.

Maybe a Multi-Filter, which could be a Low Pass, Band Pass, Band Reject and High Pass Filter in one?

There's a 9U limit on devices in Reason, and Thor is already 9U - so any mockups would have to remain at the original size to be realized in Reason… ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

15 Jul 2016

selig wrote:
I would want a "poly-modular" environment, something I've been suggesting since back when Thor was first released. In other words, basically an "empty" Thor shell into which we insert our own selection of modules of any type and number (up to a limit, of course). I was envisioning an API "500 series" type environment to save space and allow maximum module count.

But the idea is to allow full polyphonic interconnection and audio rate modulation, something that would not be as easy to implement with REs.

Or maybe this should be a part of a Combinator II?
;)
"polyphonic interconnection" yes that would be nice to be able to make all filters& shapers modular. Would love to see a Reason Lego Blocks version + Combinator II. Drag and drop granular sample Block etc ...

• Information