Guess The Synth Challenge

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
dusan.cani
Posts: 495
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 10 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Sep 2023
Ok I have one ready.
I haven't followed super closely, we're at number 5 right?

Vecto ?

Popey
Competition Winner
Posts: 2134
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 10 Sep 2023

Luna?

WOO
Posts: 362
Joined: 07 Aug 2019

Post 10 Sep 2023

Scenic Hybrid Instrument

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

No one is right so far.
Not sure if giving any clues will make things too easy. I’ll wait a little longer I think.

User avatar
SebAudio
Posts: 391
Joined: 08 Mar 2015

Post 11 Sep 2023

I’d say it’s a wavetable sounding sound. WT I know are only the RS ones, and we are only allowed 1 guess at a time 🤭, I’d go with Europa

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

SebAudio wrote:
11 Sep 2023
I’d say it’s a wavetable sounding sound. WT I know are only the RS ones, and we are only allowed 1 guess at a time 🤭, I’d go with Europa
Not Europa either.

dusan.cani
Posts: 495
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 11 Sep 2023

It definitely needs some hints because otherwise it's just random blind guesses...Or description of some specificity in the sound that should be recognizable if someone carefully listen.

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
11 Sep 2023
It definitely needs some hints because otherwise it's just random blind guesses...Or description of some specificity in the sound that should be recognizable if someone carefully listen.
Ok I'll try to narrow it down a little bit without giving away something specific that gives it away too easily.

Clue:
It's a bigger synth, in terms of size. By that I mean how much physical space it takes up in the rack, not how much it's capable of.
It's equal in size to synths like Europa, Vecto or Parsec.


I'll add more clues if I need to. :puf_smile:

dusan.cani
Posts: 495
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 11 Sep 2023

Does it allow to use sample-based sources ?

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
11 Sep 2023
Does it allow to use sample-based sources ?
I'm not gonna say. ;)

I will say that I think most people using this synth are looking for something a bit different. I'm sure you can pull off an ok sounding supersaw if you want to with it. But I don't think that's what people generally are looking for when making patches with this one.

User avatar
SebAudio
Posts: 391
Joined: 08 Mar 2015

Post 11 Sep 2023

I’m a little confused with your hints
TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023
I will say that I think most people using this synth are looking for something a bit different.
From what you’ve posted ? You mean people don’t reach for this synth if they want a « digital » sound ?
This synth is better view as « substractive » ?
TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023
I'm sure you can pull off an ok sounding supersaw if you want to with it.
Reason I ask the previous question. Since one can expect to pull off a supersaw from a (modern software) « substractive » synth.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023
But I don't think that's what people generally are looking for when making patches with this one.
Supersaw or your sound ?

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

SebAudio wrote:
11 Sep 2023
I’m a little confused with your hints
TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023
I will say that I think most people using this synth are looking for something a bit different.
From what you’ve posted ? You mean people don’t reach for this synth if they want a « digital » sound ?
This synth is better view as « substractive » ?
TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023
I'm sure you can pull off an ok sounding supersaw if you want to with it.
Reason I ask the previous question. Since one can expect to pull off a supersaw from a (modern software) « substractive » synth.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023
But I don't think that's what people generally are looking for when making patches with this one.
Supersaw or your sound ?
What I'm trying to say is that a lot of more "traditional" synths, like Legend for example, are often based on the most known wave shapes like: saw, square, triangle. This synth can make those sounds too, but I would be sursprised if people went to this synth for those kind of sounds since it's capable of creating so much more unusual tones and sounds.

I'm trying my best to avoid revealing any type of synthesis it's based on. :puf_smile:

Here's a weird patch I made with it. Not exactly something you make with Subtractor.

User avatar
TheGodOfRainbows
Posts: 640
Joined: 31 Mar 2015

Post 11 Sep 2023

This is fun. I knew the first one right away. Sounds like a Jiggery organ! Very recognizable.

I don't know what synth the last example is, but it sure is a creepy sound! It makes me want this synth if I don't have it. Based on your clues, I would say Algoritm, but it doesn't particularly sound like Algoritm.

It can do all the basic waveforms, but that's probably not why people reach for it. Yeah? And you could make a decent supersaw, but is that why you reach for an FM synth? Hmm.........

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Sep 2023
This is fun. I knew the first one right away. Sounds like a Jiggery organ! Very recognizable.

I don't know what synth the last example is, but it sure is a creepy sound! It makes me want this synth if I don't have it. Based on your clues, I would say Algoritm, but it doesn't particularly sound like Algoritm.

It can do all the basic waveforms, but that's probably not why people reach for it. Yeah? And you could make a decent supersaw, but is that why you reach for an FM synth? Hmm.........
Not Algoritm. :puf_smile:

Ok with the risk of making it too easy, it's got two oscillators.

I'm not sure how many big sized synths with two oscillators there are left that you haven't already guessed on. Especially capable of sounding like the latter example.

dusan.cani
Posts: 495
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 11 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023

Ok with the risk of making it too easy, it's got two oscillators.
I would say that this hint does not help because two or more oscillators is something that nearly all synths have :D

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
11 Sep 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023

Ok with the risk of making it too easy, it's got two oscillators.
I would say that this hint does not help because two or more oscillators is something that nearly all synths have :D
Maybe if you go only by memory. But if you take a quick look in the shop under instruments and add all the clues given and sound examples, it should be doable. Add to that all the earlier incorrect guesses that you can cross out.

I think someone will guess correctly anytime now.

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 2467
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: ##########

Post 11 Sep 2023

Go2
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Sep 2023
Go2
Nope.

Ok to summarize and add some new clues.

It’s a big synth in size, like Europa.
It’s not your typical saw, square, triangle synth. It’s capable of more unusual sounds.
It’s got two oscillators.

New clues:
It’s gotten a bigger update since its first release.
It’s marketed as an additive synthesizer.

dusan.cani
Posts: 495
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 11 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023
It’s gotten a bigger update since its first release.
It’s marketed as an additive synthesizer.
Oberon ?

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
11 Sep 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023
It’s gotten a bigger update since its first release.
It’s marketed as an additive synthesizer.
Oberon ?
YES!!!

I really though it would be easier to guess this one. Not at all easy. But easier than it apparently was.
It also showed me that Oberon maybe isn’t as well known and used as many other synths.

dusan.cani
Posts: 495
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 11 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023

It also showed me that Oberon maybe isn’t as well known and used as many other synths.
I am using Oberon a lot and I did many patches for this synth. But honestly I didn't recognized it as you have designed quite different character of sounds than I'm used to hearing from it. So it is surprise for me, that this is produced by Oberon.

I heard some sample based flavour in it immediately, but I don't know if it was really used in those examples...Were there samples used ?

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
11 Sep 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2023

It also showed me that Oberon maybe isn’t as well known and used as many other synths.
I am using Oberon a lot and I did many patches for this synth. But honestly I didn't recognized it as you have designed quite different character of sounds than I'm used to hearing from it. So it is surprise for me, that this is produced by Oberon.

I heard some sample based flavour in it immediately, but I don't know if it was really used in those examples...Were there samples used ?
Interesting. Just goes to show how broadly Oberon can be used. And I’m sure it’s the same with many other synths as well.

No samples. The examples only made use of the included wavetables.

User avatar
SebAudio
Posts: 391
Joined: 08 Mar 2015

Post 11 Sep 2023

May I provide the next challenge ?

dusan.cani
Posts: 495
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 11 Sep 2023

SebAudio wrote:
11 Sep 2023
May I provide the next challenge ?
Is it sample based ? :D

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Sep 2023

SebAudio wrote:
11 Sep 2023
May I provide the next challenge ?
Aura-7 Cinematic Atmosphere?

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests