The Chesney challenge

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Popey
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2023

As Chesney sang "I am the one and only"

Introducing the fun Chesney challenge - any genre, any length song only stipulation is you can only use one instance of each instrument, fx, external hardware in your track.

Eg. You could use europa for a lead but then I could not use it again and would have to use a different synth (eg subtractor) for a pad sound and so forth etc. Same for fx if I use deep space reverb I would then have to use a different verb per instance i want.

Idea being most of us have lots of different gear and this fun challenge should make you use a wide variety of it (and probably stuff you have not touched for a while)

No prizes as just a fun challenge and no end date. New people to the forum can then jump in whenever.

Post your entries here, don't stress about standard it is just for fun.

Who is up for the challenge?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2023

Cool idea. Changing instruments I do all the time, so that wouldn't be much of a challenge. But effects is a different story. I have my go-tos that I use all the time.
If I weren't in the middle of a mini album project already I would probably join.

Popey
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Aug 2023
Cool idea. Changing instruments I do all the time, so that wouldn't be much of a challenge. But effects is a different story. I have my go-tos that I use all the time.
If I weren't in the middle of a mini album project already I would probably join.
No worries Tritone Addiction it will be a little while before I can get something created for this. At least there is no end date so people can take part whenever they wish.

Mostly posted it so I did not forget the idea 😂

wowhow
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2023

This is really interesting! How about you HAVE to use every RE or VST instrument you have - cpu willing!

Quarmat
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2023

I think one of the tracks I am working on is already there, instrument-wise. I have to change the effects cause i use some of them on more than one track. Might as well post it here, once finished. Nice challenge!

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2023

wowhow wrote:
06 Aug 2023
This is really interesting! How about you HAVE to use every RE or VST instrument you have - cpu willing!
With my cpu that would have to be a very short song 😂

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2023

Quarmat wrote:
06 Aug 2023
I think one of the tracks I am working on is already there, instrument-wise. I have to change the effects cause i use some of them on more than one track. Might as well post it here, once finished. Nice challenge!
That sounds good, look forward to hearing it when done.

I am going to start this weekend. I am looking forward to trying out a fair bit of stuff I have hardly used.

Might uncover some gems in the free stuff clogging up my hard drive.

Jagwah

08 Aug 2023

Good on you for coming up with a challenge idea, I will try get my next piece to follow the rule and come up with something! Maybe instead of no date, maybe a long one like two months or something, just an idea but this should work too, cheers!!

Jagwah

11 Aug 2023

I thought about it some more and I like the idea of leaving it open regardless of time, it's worth a try and I will try get something in here too cheers!

Popey
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2023

Jagwah wrote:
11 Aug 2023
I thought about it some more and I like the idea of leaving it open regardless of time, it's worth a try and I will try get something in here too cheers!
That's cool I just factored in how busy people's lives can be and also before some have commented on challenges they had missed but would of made a song for if seen earlier. Didn't seem any benefit to set a deadline as there are no prizes just the joy of creating.

Any new rt member might see it and fancy working on something too.

Be good if you get chance to make a track for this. I started my track for it last night and plan to use rack extensions first before using vst (in case I run out of unique eq or reverb etc)

Already trying some synths I have not used for ages (forgot how good expanse and antidote etc are)

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2023

This was a lot of fun for me. tried to use as much re's where i could but did resort to a fair few vst comps and eq's (because i ran out)

Reason re synths/drums used: Layers (wave edition), kong, EDS06s, Umpf, Redrum, Antidote, Rhythmic, Objekt, RP Quad, Nostromo, Expanse, Legend, Europa, Subtractor

Reason FX : Synchronous, rv7000, Ruina, Glitch, Audiomatic, Rumblit, DR1 verb, colouring eq, rs master bus comp, rs channel eq, gq7, pump, ddl1, eve mp3, re160, fat space verb, rs echo, mclass eq, mcomp, 3plex, pulversior, dc-2

VST Synth/Drums: Vital (text to speak for vocal), sublab xl, live drum rack, vocal synth2

VST fx: Pro C2, EQ8 (Live), Pro eq3, shaperbox 3, SSL native comp, SSl bus comp, kclip3, delay tape 201, Pro R, Valhalla vintage verb, neutron eq, brainwork ssl channel strip

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2023

What a great idea for a challenge..

As the track develops, it gets exponentially more interesting :)

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2023

aeox wrote:
05 Sep 2023
What a great idea for a challenge..

As the track develops, it gets exponentially more interesting :)
Thanks Aeox, this challenge certainly brought me a fair few "why do I not use this more often" moments with gear I have not used much or in a long while.

• Information