Announcing the winners of the RX1200 Beatmaking Competition!

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11128
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2023

Announcing the winners of the RX1200 Beatmaking Competition!

Thank you to everyone who participated and for taking on this unique challenge! This was so much fun and every entry was great, making the judging not easy. Every entry received votes :thumbup:

It was very cool to get to see each artist's approach to using a single instance of RX1200. Check out this video William from Inphonik put together showcasing the Reason projects from the winners!



Grand Prize
Receiving RX1200 + RX950 + RYM2612 licenses
4 Runners-up
Receiving RX1200 licenses
Congrats to the winners! :clap:
Prizes should appear in your accounts shortly.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 11262
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 22 Jun 2023

Gratulations to the winners and thanks to all for making such great tunes, which makes listening a pleasure, but judging a pain :-D :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3851
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 22 Jun 2023

Congrats to the winners and all participants!

User avatar
Noise
Competition Winner
Posts: 479
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lisbon

Post 22 Jun 2023

Very interesting to watch the projects running. Should be another category prize for the tidiest project :P
Dimished // Redux was a really groovy smooth track, deserved the place!

Congrats to everyone
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4254
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 22 Jun 2023

Congrats to the winners. This was a really cool challenge. Nice to see the winner projects as well.

m3tr0n0m3
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Sep 2021

Post 22 Jun 2023

Congrats! :clap:

User avatar
eusti
Moderator
Posts: 2793
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2023

I enjoyed listening to the tracks when deliberating. Nice!!!

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 4689
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill, Boomertown

Post 22 Jun 2023

I really enjoyed seeing everyone's workflow. It was really cool to be able to open the REASON files and have a look under the hood. I would like to do this in all future contest, but that damn RRP kind stops that from happening. Anyway, it was really fun to see everyone's projects in action.

This contest was another tough one to judge. They always are, but this one was more difficult than usual because the tracks were so good. Thanks to all the contestants, you all deserve a prize. Thanks to Joey for organizing the contest. And the biggest thanks to Inphonic for building this amazing device and offering prizes for the contest.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
Quarmat
Competition Winner
Posts: 475
Joined: 11 Feb 2021
Location: Europe

Post 22 Jun 2023

Amazing tracks/beats! Grats to the winners!

User avatar
willbe
RE Developer
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Location: France

Post 22 Jun 2023

Congratulations to the winners and all musicians bringing their entries.
You've put a lot of effort into this, and I can see you've got a lot of fun, too!
There are some great demonstrations of high-quality craftsmanship and lots of music styles represented.

Thanks to the ReasonTalk team for such a fluid organization, always caring for everyone's good.
To the winners: you may sync your REs to download your prizes.
Thanks again, everyone!

Goriila Texas
Posts: 983
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 22 Jun 2023

Congrats to the winners but ain't no way in hell my track not at least runner up after listening to all the beats. I created a bass by tuning one sample across several pads and sonically drums and bass hits harder. Mods don't like BigAnt or hate hip hop from the south. I can sell that beat with a few changes. I'm glad I didn't waste time on the Objekt song challenge and won't be doing another one. I see why nobody really does these challenges.

User avatar
willbe
RE Developer
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Location: France

Post 22 Jun 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Congrats to the winners but ain't no way in hell my track not at least runner up after listening to all the beats. I created a bass by tuning one sample across several pads and sonically drums and bass hits harder. Mods don't like BigAnt or hate hip hop from the south. I can sell that beat with a few changes. I'm glad I didn't waste time on the Objekt song challenge and won't be doing another one. I see why nobody really does these challenges.
I know what it feels like to miss the charts. There are too many random factors in a competition to be called fair.
Keep up the good work.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11128
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Congrats to the winners but ain't no way in hell my track not at least runner up after listening to all the beats. I created a bass by tuning one sample across several pads and sonically drums and bass hits harder. Mods don't like BigAnt or hate hip hop from the south. I can sell that beat with a few changes. I'm glad I didn't waste time on the Objekt song challenge and won't be doing another one. I see why nobody really does these challenges.
We use the Eurovision point system when voting, and every beat submitted received some points from judges. Every competition is difficult to judge with all of the great entries. Hip hop as a genre is clearly represented in the winning entries and is at the heart of the SP-1200/RX1200. There's probably more hip-hop from this than most previous competitions. It's difficult to represent every sub-genre though. I'm from VA, which is east coast and southern hip-hop, and kind of a blend of those. I'm a fan of it. There will always be some surprises to what comes out on top and what doesn't—that's part of what makes it interesting and fun :-)

Also worth mentioning that we are not hosting or judging the Objekt competition. That is solely Reason Studios.

User avatar
TheGodOfRainbows
Posts: 640
Joined: 31 Mar 2015

Post 23 Jun 2023

I regret not participating in this, but I have a few tracks going that I’m pleased with. Such good entries though. Really inspiring. And yes I too love seeing everyone’s workflow and techniques. This device imparts great character. Looking forward to the upcoming sound packs.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 4689
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill, Boomertown

Post 23 Jun 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Congrats to the winners but ain't no way in hell my track not at least runner up after listening to all the beats. I created a bass by tuning one sample across several pads and sonically drums and bass hits harder. Mods don't like BigAnt or hate hip hop from the south. I can sell that beat with a few changes. I'm glad I didn't waste time on the Objekt song challenge and won't be doing another one. I see why nobody really does these challenges.
Your track has a nice bass line and some hard hitting drums, that cannot be denied. I would like to commend your use of the tuning slider; that was excellent. But your song didn't go anywhere and I found myself bored with the same thing being played over and over for the duration of almost 4 minutes. Your track would have scored higher if you had shortened the piece to around 1 minute and 30 seconds.

It starts off nice enough, with the drums and bass and that atmospheric wheeze in the background. And then you add a few unexpected brass stabs that soon become expected. That concluded the orchestration of the first part (are we going to call that the verse?). For the second part (the chorus?), you added a melodic piano that plays over the exact same tracks from the verse (the piano comes in at 40 seconds and lasts for the duration of the chorus). Then you gave us a break (of sorts) at 1:20 where the drum track stops (and everything else keeps playing the exact same thing as before). That's where your track should have ended, but then it repeats this 1.5 minute sequence two more times without anything new added. Perhaps if you added some vocals this track would be great the way it is. But as it stands, in this competition with these competitors, you get what you got.

You said "nobody really does these challenges". What a rude thing to say to the other contestants. So they are nobodies? Well, Gorilla Texas, you just got beat by a bunch of "nobodies".

This might also have something to do with it. Perhaps a bit more effort than an hour would have yielded some better results for your track.
GT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 11262
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 23 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
23 Jun 2023
...
This might also have something to do with it. Perhaps a bit more effort than an hour would have yielded some better results for your track.
GT.jpg
😆
Reason12, Win10

User avatar
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer
Posts: 1107
Joined: 03 Jan 2019

Post 23 Jun 2023

Congrats to all thw winners!

Also I have to say that I'm really liking the idea of the showcasing the submissions like this so that others can get a feel of how the work was done, very cool indeed.

Cheers,
Brian

JensHaglof
Competition Winner
Posts: 16
Joined: 06 Feb 2016

Post 23 Jun 2023

Thank you for this great contest! Nice to see all the reason projects too. My was a complete mess compared to some others. Really nice learning experience. In my next reason song I'm going to try to be more tidy. :) Congratulations to all the winners!

wowhow
Competition Winner
Posts: 117
Joined: 31 May 2018
Location: Nagoya, Japan

Post 23 Jun 2023

Congrats to all the winners!
Thanks for the competition as always!

User avatar
diminished
Competition Winner
Posts: 1880
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 23 Jun 2023

Hey woah, in no way I expected to place 1st in light of such competition entries - super glad it worked out in the end though! Needless to say, there's always the post-release regret phase where you wish you would have arranged some stuff differently, but oh well :D And if I had known the reason file was shown publicly, I'd have cleaned up my project a bit more :')
Very happy to call RX1200 my own now, the drum sample selection in particular is just :chefskiss: - instant gratification.

Thanks for this competition and congrats to the other winners. Personally speaking, I think there should be more :thumbup:
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 2549
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 23 Jun 2023

Great competition and entries, the video is a really cool way to wrap things up!

Goriila Texas
Posts: 983
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 23 Jun 2023

I said “nobody “ as in most people as I don’t know any of the contestants stop reading too much into what I said. Wtf hard drums and bass should’ve won off that alone lol 😂 the developer is trying to sell a plugin lol. It’s cool I’m out.


challism wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Congrats to the winners but ain't no way in hell my track not at least runner up after listening to all the beats. I created a bass by tuning one sample across several pads and sonically drums and bass hits harder. Mods don't like BigAnt or hate hip hop from the south. I can sell that beat with a few changes. I'm glad I didn't waste time on the Objekt song challenge and won't be doing another one. I see why nobody really does these challenges.
Your track has a nice bass line and some hard hitting drums, that cannot be denied. I would like to commend your use of the tuning slider; that was excellent. But your song didn't go anywhere and I found myself bored with the same thing being played over and over for the duration of almost 4 minutes. Your track would have scored higher if you had shortened the piece to around 1 minute and 30 seconds.

It starts off nice enough, with the drums and bass and that atmospheric wheeze in the background. And then you add a few unexpected brass stabs that soon become expected. That concluded the orchestration of the first part (are we going to call that the verse?). For the second part (the chorus?), you added a melodic piano that plays over the exact same tracks from the verse (the piano comes in at 40 seconds and lasts for the duration of the chorus). Then you gave us a break (of sorts) at 1:20 where the drum track stops (and everything else keeps playing the exact same thing as before). That's where your track should have ended, but then it repeats this 1.5 minute sequence two more times without anything new added. Perhaps if you added some vocals this track would be great the way it is. But as it stands, in this competition with these competitors, you get what you got.

You said "nobody really does these challenges". What a rude thing to say to the other contestants. So they are nobodies? Well, Gorilla Texas, you just got beat by a bunch of "nobodies".

This might also have something to do with it. Perhaps a bit more effort than an hour would have yielded some better results for your track.
GT.jpg

User avatar
Arpeg
Competition Winner
Posts: 210
Joined: 31 Oct 2021

Post 24 Jun 2023

diminished wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Hey woah, in no way I expected to place 1st in light of such competition entries - super glad it worked out in the end though! Needless to say, there's always the post-release regret phase where you wish you would have arranged some stuff differently, but oh well :D And if I had known the reason file was shown publicly, I'd have cleaned up my project a bit more :')
Very happy to call RX1200 my own now, the drum sample selection in particular is just :chefskiss: - instant gratification.

Thanks for this competition and congrats to the other winners. Personally speaking, I think there should be more :thumbup:
First of all, thank you so much for my runners up position, very grateful. Thank you to Inphonik for the Device and Competition, plus, joeyluck and judges, thanks for your time. :clap:
Really good tunes by all, thanks.

I'd like to re-iterate some of what Diminished says above like post release regrets, although, I had not used certain devices for a while so no worries and we all have them.
Also, " if I had known the reason file was shown publicly, I'd have cleaned up my project a bit more " - Like others have mentioned it is nice to see how other folks are working inside Reason and, if possible, I wouldn't mind some advice on how I could go about setting up my devices in a better way and what not.
Great finale video

If I had to vote then I would have chosen Diminished.. Captured a good thematic tune there my friend.. Big Up!

I had a feelin' there would be a lot of Hip Hop / Trip Hop / Lo - Fi.... So, I challenged myself to go Techno/house Detroit-ish and try n' make use of what is available. I feel at the moment the samples are geared towards Hip Hop and sub-genres mentioned above for more instant inspiration. We are talking samples and they can be manipulated, of course but, ideally, a specific Detroit Techno and/or Electro pack of samples would be super.

vandynch
Posts: 7
Joined: 23 Nov 2020

Post 24 Jun 2023

Enjoyed all the tracks that won and more, well done to the winners and shows just how high the bar was for this. Really enjoyed the video as well, I think it shows the capabilities not only of the plugin which is great, but also the stock plugins of Reason itself.(it shows me personally how much i have to learn!)
i think the drums on Diminished's tracks alone deserved the top award, but Arpeg's techno track was excellent and wouldve been fully desrving of the top prize too - your track was immense! It reminded me of Kosmic Messenger, and other classic 90s Detroit techno. a super acheivement considering as you say the samples in RX1200 aren't geared towards the genre.

User avatar
LongFist
Posts: 83
Joined: 25 Jan 2021
Location: CyberSpace

Post 24 Jun 2023

Actually, I loved the fact that I got to see how the others "wired" their systems: I've learned some neat tricks from them! I think it would be cool if that turned out to be a requirement of most competitions (Reason file submitted, rack on display afterward.) Those of us who "also ran" could really learn a lot from those that placed and won!

Good job to you all! This was fun, more fun than I thought it would be!!!
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests