RX1200 Beatmaking Competition

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
joeyluck

30 May 2023

Inphonik and ReasonTalk proudly call all artists for the RX1200 Beatmaking Competition!

The challenge is to make a track with only one instance of the RX1200 12-bit Sampler Instrument and to use its Factory Collection (900+ samples sorted as kick, snare, hi-hats, bass, etc.) as the only sound material. Songs will be judged on the artists’ ability to craft complex compositions and arrangements with the RX1200. Artists can use audio and CV routings to take advantage of the 8 aux audio outputs and the full set of CV inputs of the RX1200 and Reason’s natural cabling possibilities.

Rules
  • Use the trial version of the RX1200 12-bit Sampler Instrument RE
  • The only samples you’re allowed to use are in the RX1200 Factory Collection. Don’t use external samples, samples from Reason’s factory sound bank, or audio recordings.
  • Only one instance of RX1200 is allowed in your Reason song, and no other sound generator (no synth, no other sampler, no rompler, no audio tracks, nothing)
  • Minimum song length: 1 minute
  • No maximum song length
  • No remixes or cover songs. Your work must be 100% original
  • One entry per composer
  • Entries will be submitted using this Google Form
  • Entries must be submitted by June 14, 2PM (PDT) / 11PM (GMT+2)
Other devices allowed:
  • Effect modules:
    • SSL Channel EQ, Channel Dynamics, Master Bus Compressor
    • M-Class Compressor, EQ, Stereo Imager, Maximizer
    • DDL-1 Delay, CF-101, RV-7 Reverb, ECF-42 Filter, D-11 Distortion, UN-16 Unison, PEQ-2 EQ, PH-90 Phaser
    • Pulverizer, RV7000, The Echo, Audiomatic, Scream4, Alligator
    • You can use the SSL mixer routing, EQ, comp, gate, to your liking, with as many mixer channels as you want
    Utility modules:
    • Reason stock utilities (RPG-8, Matrix, Spiders, Pulsar, Mixers, Mix channels)
    Player modules:
    • Note Echo, Dual Arpeggio, Beat Map
Submitting:
  • You will submit your entry via this Google Form
  • You will send your .reason source file for validation purpose (and for showcasing your skills)
  • You are welcome to share your submissions via streamable links in the ReasonTalk forum before the competition ends
  • Entries must be submitted by June 14, 2PM (PDT) / 11PM (GMT+2)
  • If you have any issues submitting, please send a PM here to joeyluck
Prizes:
  • 1 grand prize winner will receive RX1200 + RX950 + RYM2612 licenses
  • 4 runners-up will receive RX1200 licenses
  • Winning entries will be featured on a dedicated SoundCloud playlist by Inphonik
Judges:
  • Inphonik and ReasonTalk teams

Quarmat
Competition Winner

30 May 2023

Challenging competition!

here's the link to the RE

deeplink
Competition Winner

30 May 2023

Very interesting and limiting comp - awesome 👌
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Billy+

30 May 2023

Just a quick heads up for those running R11,

The demo songs are not compatible with R11 so you will have to check out the kits rather than the demo songs.. :cry:

Arpeg
Competition Winner

30 May 2023

Scales and Chords, no?

Billy+

30 May 2023

Arpeg wrote:
30 May 2023
Scales and Chords, no?
no

go play with the device ;)

challism

30 May 2023

Looks like a fun challenge for a great device. Good luck on your submissions everybody. I'm really looking forward to helping judge this one. It'll be very interesting to take a look at the contestants' Reason song files.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jaymojangles

30 May 2023

Love this Rack Extension! So much fun. Im gonna try to make two a day for the next two weeks and submit my best.

jam-s

30 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
30 May 2023
Inphonik and ReasonTalk proudly call all artists for the RX1200 Beatmaking Competition!

Rules
It's a pity that people deliberately not having/wanting a google account cannot participate.

joeyluck

30 May 2023

jam-s wrote:
30 May 2023
joeyluck wrote:
30 May 2023

Rules
It's a pity that people deliberately not having/wanting a google account cannot participate.
Please see the last note in the Submission section :) If anybody has any issues submitting, you can send me a PM.

I believe it's the file upload that requires the Google account sign in.

We definitely prefer people use the form because it uploads the files directly to a Google Drive folder and populates the entries to a Google Sheet, pointing to the files in the Google Drive folder, making it secure and much easier for us to manage and keep organized.

bitley

30 May 2023

So just one drum module and no stock synthesizers?

joeyluck

30 May 2023

bitley wrote:
30 May 2023
So just one drum module and no stock synthesizers?
Just one RX1200. There's 4 banks of 8 pads and chromatic mode available via CV on the back.
Rules
Only one instance of RX1200 is allowed in your Reason song, and no other sound generator (no synth, no other sampler, no rompler, no audio tracks, nothing)

bitley

31 May 2023

Myst try it :)

jam-s

31 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
30 May 2023
jam-s wrote:
30 May 2023

Please see the last note in the Submission section :) If anybody has any issues submitting, you can send me a PM.

I believe it's the file upload that requires the Google account sign in.

We definitely prefer people use the form because it uploads the files directly to a Google Drive folder and populates the entries to a Google Sheet, pointing to the files in the Google Drive folder, making it secure and much easier for us to manage and keep organized.
Thank you for the clarification. It sure makes sense from an organiser's perspective and great that alternative ways are also possible. Now If I can find the time and if something worthwhile emerges then I'll also participate as I like those more restricted challenges. :puf_smile:

Arpeg
Competition Winner

31 May 2023

Billy+ wrote:
30 May 2023
Arpeg wrote:
30 May 2023
Scales and Chords, no?
no

go play with the device ;)
:D Roger That

Arpeg
Competition Winner

31 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
30 May 2023
Arpeg wrote:
30 May 2023
Scales and Chords, no?
That's correct.
Cool. The player Modules available to use are good enough, thanks.

deeplink
Competition Winner

31 May 2023

Can you resample into the device (using the built in samples) ?

Quarmat
Competition Winner

31 May 2023

deeplink wrote:
31 May 2023
Lol i was about to ask the same question!

willbe
RE Developer

31 May 2023

deeplink wrote:
31 May 2023
At first, I was tempted to say yes. The samples are known, and Reason makes resampling possible, so why not.

But in case of doubt on the origin of such a resampled sound (to the point it gets unrecognizable), it could be extremely tedious to ask the author to prove the original sample was taken from the Factory Collection.

As so much can be done with real-time processing with complex routings, I prefer saying no.

deeplink
Competition Winner

31 May 2023

willbe wrote:
31 May 2023
deeplink wrote:
31 May 2023
At first, I was tempted to say yes. The samples are known, and Reason makes resampling possible, so why not.

But in case of doubt on the origin of such a resampled sound (to the point it gets unrecognizable), it could be extremely tedious to ask the author to prove the original sample was taken from the Factory Collection.

As so much can be done with real-time processing with complex routings, I prefer saying no.
I thought Yes and No would be both reasonable answers. Good that there is clarity on the matter, thank you Willbe.

LongFist

01 Jun 2023

I love the RX1200 - there is LOADS of possibility in there! If I want to load other samples (I wanted to cross-pollenate some of your samples from other banks) would that be legal for the competition? Or do I have to stick strictly with the banks as provided? When I click to load samples, RX1200 defaults to the samples folder in Reason - so I'm not sure just how I'll accomplish this feat. But once I figure it out, can I cross-pollenate the provided sound banks to build something for my production? It really has my creative juices flowing...
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

joeyluck

01 Jun 2023

LongFist wrote:
01 Jun 2023
I love the RX1200 - there is LOADS of possibility in there! If I want to load other samples (I wanted to cross-pollenate some of your samples from other banks) would that be legal for the competition? Or do I have to stick strictly with the banks as provided? When I click to load samples, RX1200 defaults to the samples folder in Reason - so I'm not sure just how I'll accomplish this feat. But once I figure it out, can I cross-pollenate the provided sound banks to build something for my production? It really has my creative juices flowing...
You can use only the samples included in the Factory Collection of the RX1200.

The sample folder is located in the RX1200 folder where you find the presets.

• Information