Why is no one interested in Song Challenges anymore?

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2023

My favorite challenges were on the old PUF, started by Nisse IIRC. Someone starts a challenge, and the winner of that challenge gets to set the terms for the next one. Some that I recall were limited by device, or by source (can only use sine waves, or noise, etc), or found sounds, etc.

These attracted a decent amount of participation and went on for quite a while in some cases. it’s really about the rules of the challenge, the ‘talent’ pool available (who is actually able to participate for whatever reasons), and the theme. It’s not easy to come up with interesting challenges, as I found when I won a challenge and then had to come up with the rules for the next one (I chose ‘sine waves’ since it was the best I could come up with).

It can be difficult to judge the level of interest and with what specifically would attract the most participants. But I’d say ANYONE can suggest a challenge, and if it resonates with enough folks it will take off (and if it doesn’t, it won’t). It all depends on what creates interest and action/involvement of enough folks to sustain it and keep it fun!
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2023

From what I can see, there's been more Song challenges recently than when I created this thread. That's very nice to see. :puf_smile: We've seen challenges/competitions for Dice Analog Synthesizer Effect Rack Extension, RX1200 and now one for Objekt.
Just thought it was worth highlighting. It's good to see more creative engagement here at RT.

ChulaCoola

10 Jun 2023

Popey wrote:
09 Jun 2023
ChulaCoola wrote:
09 Jun 2023
Who issues song challenges? Can anyone, or does it come from the moderators/forum owner?
Ones with prizes usually are ran by devs in conjunction with mods as far as I can tell.

If it has no prizes and just for fun anyone can start one. I think if it has prizes attached it should go through the mods on here.
Thanks!
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

artmessiah

10 Jun 2023

I used to like the way Reason Station did music participation - not everyone liked the rating system but there was always new music to be listened to and there were some gems often. If you don't know what reasonstation is than I might just be showing my age and I'll see my way out 😂

Mataya

10 Jun 2023

artmessiah wrote:
10 Jun 2023
I used to like the way Reason Station did music participation - not everyone liked the rating system but there was always new music to be listened to and there were some gems often. If you don't know what reasonstation is than I might just be showing my age and I'll see my way out 😂
When I saw your "other " talent on instagram, I forgot what what you were saying. Insane art man. :clap:
I loved reasonstation.

M

raymondh

11 Jun 2023

The song challenges were great. I never won any, but I did make some tracks I am still pretty happy with, and usually I learned a lot about the target synthesizer where they were one-synth challenges. Also found them great from a community perspective, learning the talents and styles of other folks on the forum, learning from some, and supporting others.

Having also organised a song challenge, I appreciate how much work it is! Coordinating with a synth supplier for the prizes etc was pretty straightforward but being actively involved to keep the competition alive, encourage people, promote, and create a buzz is time consuming, and then the assessment/scoring of the tracks is really tricky!!

It needs a lot of energy to really make the competition an experience that people want to participate in.

After a while it became a bit less common to have cool synth prizes and so there was less incentive to compete. Free publicity is a good incentive, but again it requires the person organising the competition to do extra work to promote the winner.

For me today I'm unfortunately time poor. To make the song challenges effective, it needs to be snappy with a time limit (eg 1 month).

Here's an old thread on same topic: viewtopic.php?t=7493472

artmessiah

11 Jun 2023

Mataya wrote:
10 Jun 2023
When I saw your "other " talent on instagram, I forgot what what you were saying. Insane art man. :clap:
I loved reasonstation.

M
Haha Thank you 🙌

jfrichards

17 Jun 2023

There are currently 52 songs posted on the objektchallenge website on soundcloud. The quality is extremely good, and there are still 10 days left to submit. I'm not sure, but I think most of the songs are by people on this ReasonTalk website. The "prizes" are pretty meager, so I don't think prizes are the reason for submissions, simply the exploration of the great Objekt synth.

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=%23ObjektChallenge

jfrichards

24 Jun 2023

There are now 119 songs posted on the Objekt Challenge website, and the few recent ones are very serious and wonderful. Only two days left to post. Some of the heavyweights have yet to submit. The top 30 are like an amazing double album from 1969, or more precisely, from 2043.

https://reasonstudios.com/blog/objekt-song-challenge/

Click on the "Listen to submitted songs here!" halfway down their page.

Terryfic

25 Jun 2023

Hi

I'm fairly new to Reason 12 and SoundCloud. What format do I use to upload a song for the Objekt Challenge? Is MP3 ok or does it have to be a Reason Song File?

Quarmat
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2023

Terryfic wrote:
25 Jun 2023
Hi

I'm fairly new to Reason 12 and SoundCloud. What format do I use to upload a song for the Objekt Challenge? Is MP3 ok or does it have to be a Reason Song File?
Hi, mp3 is ok but I prefer to upload my tracks in wav format.

Terryfic

25 Jun 2023

Thanks Quarmat. I just wondered how they can check that the whole song is done in Objekt if submissions are in a non-reason format.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2023

Terryfic wrote:
25 Jun 2023
Thanks Quarmat. I just wondered how they can check that the whole song is done in Objekt if submissions are in a non-reason format.
They did a similar contest a couple years ago with Algoritm, that time they asked for the reason file to the producers whose tracks were in the final roster for evaluation. Dunno this time, since they collected no emails, just soundcloud links, but who knows, maybe via souncloud direct message?

We are drifting off-topic, though, Dm me if you need more info.

jfrichards

26 Jun 2023

The number of songs in the ObjektChallenge is now 150 !! And there's still one day left.

Incidentally, the song quality is off the charts. Listening to the depth of the past 24 hours of submissions is hard to describe. It's like a new band was formed. When these Reason composers hook up with the new generation of singers, it will be like a new mountain range or new ocean has been formed.
Last edited by jfrichards on 26 Jun 2023, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

26 Jun 2023

Quarmat wrote:
25 Jun 2023
Terryfic wrote:
25 Jun 2023
They did a similar contest a couple years ago with Algoritm, that time they asked for the reason file to the producers whose tracks were in the final roster for evaluation. Dunno this time, since they collected no emails, just soundcloud links, but who knows, maybe via souncloud direct message?

We are drifting off-topic, though, Dm me if you need more info.
We hosted the Algoritm challenge managed the collection of Reason files. The Objekt challenge is solely Reason Studios, so not sure what they plan to do.

EnochLight

26 Jun 2023

jfrichards wrote:
26 Jun 2023
When these Reason composers hook up with the new generation of singers, it will be like a new mountain range or new ocean has been formed.

Off topic: curious - did you update to Ableton Live 11.3.3? It's a hot mess right now.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information