(OLD) Challenge/Theme/Word of the month (go to NEW thread... link in description)

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3189
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 26 Nov 2021

MODERATOR NOTE: This is the "old" thread. The author, TritoneAddiction, has asked that we move on to the "new" thread and lock this one to elimination any confusion. The new thread is located here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7526024

So for a while I've been thinking about starting a monthly music making challenge here at RT. I think we've pretty much exhausted all our opinions about Reason Studios, the R12 release and subscriptions at this point. I know I have. It's time to get back to what's important, making music.

Every month there will be a new word or theme that one can draw creative inspiration from. No prizes. Everything is for the simple joy of creating and sharing our music with others. But before starting any of this, I just want to get a general sense if this would be of interest to anyone. If so I think I'll start these monthly challenges either january or february.

Anyone interested? Let me know.

EDIT. Just to give a couple of examples of the kind of words/themes I'm thinking about. I want them to be fairly broad, so that one can take them wherever they want.

Dark
Generative
Echo
Unused gear
Dirt
CV
Catchy
Random
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 26 Nov 2021, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BumCuddle
Posts: 110
Joined: 26 Jul 2021

Post 26 Nov 2021

I think a word or theme is too open ended, I'd be more interested in having something solid to work from like a small sample or a midi sequence, loop etc so that everyone has the same start point. Always more interesting to see how everyone interprets it and what tangent they take it on :thumbup:

User avatar
deeplink
Posts: 641
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai / Cape Town

Post 26 Nov 2021

I'm keen, can I make the first suggestion?

Foley. Make a song using mostly real world sounds. Reason has a quite a bit of Foley sounds inside the NNXT folder. Together with Mimic, it would be interesting to see what people come up with.
Get Combinators, ReFills and RS SoundPacks at the Shared GoogleDrive: [deeplink] Open RS-Project

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3189
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 26 Nov 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
26 Nov 2021
I think a word or theme is too open ended, I'd be more interested in having something solid to work from like a small sample or a midi sequence, loop etc so that everyone has the same start point. Always more interesting to see how everyone interprets it and what tangent they take it on :thumbup:
Thanks for the feedback. But for me that's not where I want to take this. I want to allow for more creative freedom than that. I can only speak for myself, but if the initial sample/midi sequence didn't grab me I wouldn't have any interest in joining in myself. And if I'm gonna be the one posting these challenges it's important that I feel passionate about the whole thing.

Your idea is good, but that would be for someone else to start. Maybe you? There can never be enough music challenges after all. :puf_smile:

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9654
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 26 Nov 2021

I am generally interested, just not enough time.

Why not make some other challenges?
* Combi2
** synth or FX
** Backdrop
** Stock only
* Music/Song
* Loop
** Synth
** Drum
** ...
* Sound-Design
** Theme (monster, heavenly, sunshine, psy, spacy, pad, ...)
** Synth
** FX

And the price is: Honor 🦚
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3189
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 26 Nov 2021

Loque wrote:
26 Nov 2021
I am generally interested, just not enough time.

Why not make some other challenges?
* Combi2
** synth or FX
** Backdrop
** Stock only
* Music/Song
* Loop
** Synth
** Drum
** ...
* Sound-Design
** Theme (monster, heavenly, sunshine, psy, spacy, pad, ...)
** Synth
** FX

And the price is: Honor 🦚
I already have a list of potential words/themes. But I can certainly add suggestions to that list.

User avatar
BumCuddle
Posts: 110
Joined: 26 Jul 2021

Post 26 Nov 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Thanks for the feedback. But for me that's not where I want to take this. I want to allow for more creative freedom than that. I can only speak for myself, but if the initial sample/midi sequence didn't grab me I wouldn't have any interest in joining in myself. And if I'm gonna be the one posting these challenges it's important that I feel passionate about the whole thing.

Your idea is good, but that would be for someone else to start. Maybe you? There can never be enough music challenges after all. :puf_smile:
Excellent points! Would be more interesting with open creativity, I suppose you could see the 'start with a sample...' thing as a crutch in a sense, getting inspiration from words or themes would give out a different result for sure.

I wonder if things like art, photographs, small clips of film could be considered too for each month? Maybe have a day where each member interested can submit an image and then pick one they liked that inspired them? Just a thought.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3189
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 26 Nov 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
26 Nov 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Thanks for the feedback. But for me that's not where I want to take this. I want to allow for more creative freedom than that. I can only speak for myself, but if the initial sample/midi sequence didn't grab me I wouldn't have any interest in joining in myself. And if I'm gonna be the one posting these challenges it's important that I feel passionate about the whole thing.

Your idea is good, but that would be for someone else to start. Maybe you? There can never be enough music challenges after all. :puf_smile:
Excellent points! Would be more interesting with open creativity, I suppose you could see the 'start with a sample...' thing as a crutch in a sense, getting inspiration from words or themes would give out a different result for sure.

I wonder if things like art, photographs, small clips of film could be considered too for each month? Maybe have a day where each member interested can submit an image and then pick one they liked that inspired them? Just a thought.
I would be open to a word like "image". That could mean a lot of different things to different people. It could be drawing inspiration from a photograph/picture. It could be painting a picture with the music. It could be plenty of things. The main thing is I don't want to enforce any rigid rules. I'm more interested in seeing where people would go with just a word, so that people can add their own interpretation and imagination.

User avatar
reusenoise
Posts: 64
Joined: 21 Dec 2019

Post 26 Nov 2021

Unused gear,these theme can keep me busy in the next five years 😂

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3189
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 26 Nov 2021

reusenoise wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Unused gear,these theme can keep me busy in the next five years 😂
Oh yes. It's there as a suggestion for a reason. :D

Popey
Posts: 921
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 28 Nov 2021

Think this is a good idea and certainly something I would take part in on the months I have the time. Perhaps we should start with unused gear as I bet virtually all of us have plenty to choose from 🤣

User avatar
BumCuddle
Posts: 110
Joined: 26 Jul 2021

Post 28 Nov 2021

Popey wrote:
28 Nov 2021
Think this is a good idea and certainly something I would take part in on the months I have the time. Perhaps we should start with unused gear as I bet virtually all of us have plenty to choose from 🤣
That would be fun! I have so many REs I never use :thumbup:

Bes
Posts: 679
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 28 Nov 2021

this a pretty smart idea. loqeus idea to expand it is excellent, i'd contribute a combi patch or track from time to time. maybe a thread poll to judge who gets the Honour and for the next month they can have a badge attached to their forum username

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest