Announcing the UJAM / ReasonTalk Virtual Bassist Competition!

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1773
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 05 May 2019

24 hours left!

You guys are really good. I'm amazed at the quality of the pieces already submitted.

retreed
Posts: 116
Joined: 18 Sep 2018

Post 05 May 2019

Thank you RT and UJAM for hosting the contest. :thumbs_up:

Great entries so far!

I made some drum and bass.



I used two instances of Virtual Bassist Rowdy and one instance of Virtual Bassist Royal.


User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6319
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 May 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
05 May 2019
24 hours left!

You guys are really good. I'm amazed at the quality of the pieces already submitted.
Indeed!

And to remind folks, the deadline is May 6 11:59pm Stockholm/Bremen time (before it becomes May 7, Central European Summer Time).

So for my timezone (Eastern Daylight Time), that would be 5:59pm tomorrow for me personally if I were submitting. If you're on the west coast in the US, on Pacific time, then your deadline is 2:59pm.

Just be sure to lookup your timezone in relation :puf_smile:

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6319
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 May 2019

For those who have and who are submitting, please do not forget to email your entry to virtualbassist@reasontalk.com along with your Propellerhead username! :)

User avatar
michael-ujam
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 May 2019

Post 06 May 2019

Sortitoutonsunday wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Anyone else having problems with this thing? I'm trying to jam with the Rowdy and I can't change style. Everything plays the same. Changing presets changes the sound but not what's being played. All my other RE's and VST's seems to work fine. This is a challenge indeed. :p Is it only me?
Please be aware that C0 to B1 selects "Common Phrases". These are basic phrases that are useful in a wide range of genres. These don't change if you select a different style.
C2 to Bb2 select "Style Phrases". These change if you select a different style.
Maybe you had a "Common Phrase" selected while browsing through styles?

Michael

wowhow
Posts: 20
Joined: 31 May 2018
Location: Nagoya, Japan

Post 06 May 2019

Thank you for hosting this challenge Reasontalk and Ujam! :rt: :reason:

I used all the virtual bass plugins. I used the instrument section of all them plus the "Heavy Accents"(Rowdy), "Soul" (Mellow) and "Alt Pop Rock"(Royal) patches.

Full song:


Isolated Bass:


Thanks again!

Wowhow

User avatar
Sortitoutonsunday
Posts: 14
Joined: 17 Apr 2019

Post 06 May 2019

michael-ujam wrote:
06 May 2019
Sortitoutonsunday wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Anyone else having problems with this thing? I'm trying to jam with the Rowdy and I can't change style. Everything plays the same. Changing presets changes the sound but not what's being played. All my other RE's and VST's seems to work fine. This is a challenge indeed. :p Is it only me?
Please be aware that C0 to B1 selects "Common Phrases". These are basic phrases that are useful in a wide range of genres. These don't change if you select a different style.
C2 to Bb2 select "Style Phrases". These change if you select a different style.
Maybe you had a "Common Phrase" selected while browsing through styles?

Michael
Thank you Michael for taking your time helping out. I had some initial problems but I managed to make a song i'm very pleased with in the end.
Reason fanboy since 6.5
:reason: :PUF_balance: :roll:

alterEe
Posts: 31
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 06 May 2019

Here's my entry. I decided to try to use every Virtual bassist RE in my song. It did become quite long, but I just couldn't help myself trying different stuff and testing the RE's on different genres :)





In the "verse" I've used Virtual bassist Royal, Reason drum kits RE (played with my e-drums and quantized quite a bit, lol), A-list Pop chords + JPS Villanelle for the funky guitar, Radical keys, a couple of Stringwerks, Re-Tron & ChamberTronRE etc.

In the "chorus" I've used Virtual bassist Mellow, a couple of beats from UJam's Beatmaker Hustle combined, some synths etc.

In the final part I've used two Virtual bassist Rowdys (one for the main heavy riff and one for the baritone-guitarrish melody in the end), a couple of ReSpires, Superior drums 2 for the drums, recorded some vocals and guitars (the latter played with Kuassa amp RE's) etc.

I had fun making my entry. The Virtual bassist RE's give you great results very quickly, and if I were lucky enough to win one of them I would have a really hard time trying to decide which one to pick :)

User avatar
SoulState
Posts: 292
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 May 2019

It all started with a patch in Mellow called "Easy Bounce"...Played around with it for a while and came up with this. ;)





:reason:

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6319
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 May 2019

Thank you all for the wonderful entries! Now it's time for the judges to vote. Good luck to everyone! Stay tuned! :D

WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1773
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 09 May 2019

The winners have been announced! Please check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7512093

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 652
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 09 May 2019

I had also started something for the contest but did not submit again because I was busy with other things. :D


WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1773
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 09 May 2019

Shame, it's a nice piece...

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2454
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 May 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
09 May 2019
Shame, it's a nice piece...
Completely agree!

D.

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2414
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 09 May 2019

Noplan wrote:
09 May 2019
I had also started something for the contest but did not submit again because I was busy with other things. :D

Get funky... love it...

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests