RX950 Reason Competition

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6275
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Apr 2018



Mathieu Demange and ReasonTalk are proud to call all artists for the RX950 Reason Competition!
The competition is based on the usage of a provided sample-pack collection of drums, percussions and various sounds. Songs will be judged upon the artists’ ability to make these samples shine with the use of the RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter Rack Extension. Artists are allowed to use other sound sources from the basic stock modules of Reason (excluding use of other samples). Bonus attitude points will be given for the use of the most classic units like NN-19 and Subtractor!

Rules
  • Download the sample pack and compose your best piece of music!
  • The only samples you’re allowed to use are the ones from the sample pack. Don’t use external samples, samples from the factory sound bank (including NN-19 and NN-XT instruments) or audio recordings.
  • Sampler modules allowed: NN-19, NN-XT, Redrum, Kong
  • Synth modules allowed: Subtractor, Malstrom, Thor
  • Effect modules allowed: RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter and Reason stock effects
  • Utility modules allowed: Reason stock utilities
  • Player modules allowed
  • One entry per composer
  • Minimum song length: 1 minute
  • No maximum song length
  • No remixes or cover songs, your work must be 100% original
  • You are welcome to share your submissions in the ReasonTalk forum before the competition ends
  • Winning entries will be featured on a dedicated SoundCloud playlist by MD
How to submit
  • Songs must be submitted via this form: https://competition.reasontalk.com/rx950/
  • Do not change the link to your song once you have submitted it. That includes changing the visibility setting from public to private, or vice-versa!
  • Deadline is April 18 before midnight (CEST). That means by 11:59:59 PM (23:59:59) CEST on April 18. Please take note of the conversion to your local time.
Jury
  • The jury members are Mathieu Demange, William Lamy, Joey Luck and Quincy Valentine
  • The jury will select 5 winning tracks
Prizes
  • The 5 winners will get a free RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter license
Super cool artwork and video for this competition by William Lamy 🙂

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6151
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 05 Apr 2018

Interesting idea...i hope i have time to participate. Thx for organizing the challenge.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Wickline
Posts: 534
Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Location: Japan

Post 05 Apr 2018

What are the rules on mastering? Also reason stock only?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

User avatar
vectro
Posts: 41
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 05 Apr 2018

Do we submit links to .reason files or SoundCloud?

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6275
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Apr 2018

vectro wrote:
05 Apr 2018
Do we submit links to .reason files or SoundCloud?
Just a link to audio, whichever way you want to share it. You can use SoundCloud, Allihoopa, etc.

We will ask for Reason files later, so keep everything intact.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6275
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Apr 2018

Wickline wrote:
05 Apr 2018
What are the rules on mastering? Also reason stock only?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can only use Reason devices. So MClass and anything in Reason's mixer is ok.

If I were participating, whatever I do in terms of mastering, I would be sure to maintain the character of the RX950.

User avatar
Data_Shrine
Posts: 483
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 05 Apr 2018

I wish I had the time for the contests ! Already bought it but would have participated anyway if time allowed.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6275
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Apr 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
05 Apr 2018
I wish I had the time for the contests ! Already bought it but would have participated anyway if time allowed.
No pressure then, right? ;)
If you find time to throw something together, feel free to submit it :)

User avatar
Data_Shrine
Posts: 483
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 05 Apr 2018

joeyluck wrote:
05 Apr 2018
Data_Shrine wrote:
05 Apr 2018
I wish I had the time for the contests ! Already bought it but would have participated anyway if time allowed.
No pressure then, right? ;)
If you find time to throw something together, feel free to submit it :)

haha right, ok.. if i have some time this weekend :puf_smile:

teddymcw
Posts: 285
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 05 Apr 2018

This is really cool and just the format some of us were thinking of when brainstorming of how to do a competition with an FX device. Very well executed!

User avatar
PortendingHonor
Posts: 31
Joined: 25 Mar 2018

Post 06 Apr 2018

So no vocals,guitars,bass, or recorded sounds? So you don't want us to show of the A-to-D part of this equation?

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2342
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2018

PortendingHonor wrote:
06 Apr 2018
So no vocals,guitars,bass, or recorded sounds? So you don't want us to show of the A-to-D part of this equation?
You are. That's what the samples are for. This RE is based off of the Akai S950 sampler. Only fitting that the competition for it be about processing samples. To make it fair, everyone gets the same samples to work with. Your creativity comes in at turning these samples into instruments with Reason's samplers, then of course processing them with the RX950.

User avatar
PortendingHonor
Posts: 31
Joined: 25 Mar 2018

Post 06 Apr 2018

That didn't really answer the question. I get what the module is, but you started by saying, "You are," as in you can use vocals, guitar, and bass? But, then tell me what the heart of the competition is. If it's JUST the samples, great, I'll go with that, but can you at least add vocals is what I guess I'm asking?

User avatar
Karim
Posts: 836
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Italy

Post 07 Apr 2018

I leave you my submission here too.
I have already loaded my user and soundcloud link in the appropriate page :cool:



I'm ready eventually to send the .reason file for verifies

Cheers
Karim Le Mec : Dj / Producer / Label Owner ( :reason: Vers 10.2 on  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.karimlemec.it/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://www.facebook.com/karimlemec
https://www.mixcloud.com/lemecdj/

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2310
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 07 Apr 2018

Removed
Last edited by aeox on 16 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Random songs/ideas go here:
https://soundcloud.com/ae-ox/polar/s-Ocxtj

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2310
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 07 Apr 2018

Karim wrote:
07 Apr 2018
I leave you my submission here too.
I have already loaded my user and soundcloud link in the appropriate page :cool:



I'm ready eventually to send the .reason file for verifies

Cheers
Nice submission!
Random songs/ideas go here:
https://soundcloud.com/ae-ox/polar/s-Ocxtj

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2342
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2018

PortendingHonor wrote:
06 Apr 2018
That didn't really answer the question. I get what the module is, but you started by saying, "You are," as in you can use vocals, guitar, and bass? But, then tell me what the heart of the competition is. If it's JUST the samples, great, I'll go with that, but can you at least add vocals is what I guess I'm asking?
"You are", as in you are showing off the A/D capabilities. Sorry for the confusion. As far of the rest of it. The rules say no.
The only samples you’re allowed to use are the ones from the sample pack. Don’t use external samples, samples from the factory sound bank (including NN-19 and NN-XT instruments) or audio recordings.

mark999
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Jun 2017

Post 07 Apr 2018

There's a popular saying that says "time is money". With that in mind, I worked out that for me personally, it's cheaper to buy this plugin than to invest the time to download the samples, make the song, submit it, follow up, and keep track of winners.

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 728
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 07 Apr 2018

mark999 wrote:
07 Apr 2018
There's a popular saying that says "time is money". With that in mind, I worked out that for me personally, it's cheaper to buy this plugin than to invest the time to download the samples, make the song, submit it, follow up, and keep track of winners.
Would be cool if the winners got special edition copies.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

User avatar
Karim
Posts: 836
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Italy

Post 07 Apr 2018

aeox wrote:
Karim wrote:
07 Apr 2018
I leave you my submission here too.
I have already loaded my user and soundcloud link in the appropriate page :cool:



I'm ready eventually to send the .reason file for verifies

Cheers
Nice submission!
Thx Aeox. Too kind of you [emoji11].

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj / Producer / Label Owner ( :reason: Vers 10.2 on  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.karimlemec.it/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://www.facebook.com/karimlemec
https://www.mixcloud.com/lemecdj/

Robert Conquest
Posts: 12
Joined: 04 Apr 2018

Post 08 Apr 2018

Delete this one.
Last edited by Robert Conquest on 08 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1768
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 08 Apr 2018

Robert Conquest wrote:
08 Apr 2018
Ok here is my entry...

http://songconquest.com/profile/11

I only use the samples and rx950 and a bit of reverb and delay. I didn't add any synths or anything else. Really wish there were some more keyboard sounds in the sample pack!
The sample "welcome to song conquest" (and all other vocals) isn't allowed by the rules... You might want to edit them out if you want to participate.

Robert Conquest
Posts: 12
Joined: 04 Apr 2018

Post 08 Apr 2018

Ok here is a direct link with no protection tag...

http://songconquest.com/audio/31844.mp3

User avatar
PortendingHonor
Posts: 31
Joined: 25 Mar 2018

Post 08 Apr 2018



Once I got some CV action routed to the RX 950 Audio Bandwidth and Filter from Pulsars, it got pretty cool! Even created a 950 as a send effect to give the overall track a touch of color. Good luck to all!

User avatar
PSoames
Posts: 273
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Somerset, UK

Post 08 Apr 2018

Nice competition, nice rules. This is going back to basics.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests