ReasonTalk Winter Competition!

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7815
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
01 Dec 2017
robthompson wrote:I get that this is a comp primarily about making music as a response to a suggested theme. But. How much will the mixing/mastering be taken into account in considering the entries?

Asking for a friend........

Thank you!
Naturally everything will be taken into account as a whole. But delivering just a great mix without a thematic consideration won't score as high as a fairly well-mixed song with lots of thematic reference!
To put it another way, looking for goose bumps (on all levels) with this one. ;)

That doesn't come from a mix alone, but it can come from a great idea, even if it's not executed perfectly.
Selig Audio, LLC

robthompson
Posts: 40
Joined: 23 Jan 2017

Post 01 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
01 Dec 2017
Kenni wrote:
01 Dec 2017
Naturally everything will be taken into account as a whole. But delivering just a great mix without a thematic consideration won't score as high as a fairly well-mixed song with lots of thematic reference!
To put it another way, looking for goose bumps (on all levels) with this one. ;)

That doesn't come from a mix alone, but it can come from a great idea, even if it's not executed perfectly.
Thanks both of you.

I'll tell my - er - friend the good news!

User avatar
Mystile
Posts: 33
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2017

i'm hoping I have the free time to focus on this properly, seems like it could be fun

User avatar
popguy68
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Apr 2016

Post 01 Dec 2017

Hello Kenni,
Can I submit something already existing in my catalogue that I recorded in Reason previous to this announcement or is it only for new compositions only?

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1228
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 01 Dec 2017

popguy68 wrote:Hello Kenni,
Can I submit something already existing in my catalogue that I recorded in Reason previous to this announcement or is it only for new compositions only?
In all honesty, if you wouldn't have asked, we wouldn't have known.

The correct response here would be that we'd rather have people write something for this competition. 18 days is a short period of time for some to write a full song with mixing and all. A song from the catalogue could potentially be months worth of perfecting.

In the end, what you submit is what you submit. :) Just remember that a submission is final and can't be changed!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

User avatar
Catblack
Posts: 813
Joined: 15 Apr 2016

Post 01 Dec 2017

I can't wait to hear how closely everyone ends up sounding like Mannheim Steamroller!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

User avatar
Exowildebeest
Posts: 1515
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2017

If you bounce to track, you must leave the original note lane/device intact. This goes for VSTs as well
Why? This rule is very hard to follow, especially if you need to save CPU cycles or if your workflow is based on sound-mangling audio.

Sibbydgaf
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Dec 2017

Post 01 Dec 2017

I have started writing my new track will get uploaded hopefully within 2 weeks!! This is amazing

User avatar
Aosta
Posts: 273
Joined: 26 Jun 2017

Post 01 Dec 2017

Just wondering about 3rd party refill use seen as a song file may be required?
Tend the flame

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1228
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 01 Dec 2017

Aosta wrote:Just wondering about 3rd party refill use seen as a song file may be required?
No problem with that at all. Your submission will be based on a bounce. We may require the song file to confirm everything went by the book, not for listening. If stuff is required that we don't actually have, we can still process the song. :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

RandomSkratch
Posts: 415
Joined: 10 May 2016

Post 01 Dec 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
If you bounce to track, you must leave the original note lane/device intact. This goes for VSTs as well
Why? This rule is very hard to follow, especially if you need to save CPU cycles or if your workflow is based on sound-mangling audio.
I don't know if I'm missing something with the instructions but I fail to see how this one is even necessary seeing how the only requirement is your sound generating devices must not be 100% VST. What am I not getting?

Must sound be generated from a device only? I couldn't use a straight audio track anywhere? (Import foley for example).

If you used 100 VST instruments and 1 1/16 note sine pulse from a Subtractor, that would satisfy not 100% VST rule.

I'm not trying to troll, just want to make sure that if I do enter I'm not breaking any rules.


User avatar
Aosta
Posts: 273
Joined: 26 Jun 2017

Post 01 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
01 Dec 2017
Aosta wrote:Just wondering about 3rd party refill use seen as a song file may be required?
No problem with that at all. Your submission will be based on a bounce. We may require the song file to confirm everything went by the book, not for listening. If stuff is required that we don't actually have, we can still process the song. :)
Ok cool, thanks :puf_smile:
Tend the flame

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2264
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 02 Dec 2017

RandomSkratch wrote:
01 Dec 2017
Exowildebeest wrote:
Why? This rule is very hard to follow, especially if you need to save CPU cycles or if your workflow is based on sound-mangling audio.
I don't know if I'm missing something with the instructions but I fail to see how this one is even necessary seeing how the only requirement is your sound generating devices must not be 100% VST. What am I not getting?

Must sound be generated from a device only? I couldn't use a straight audio track anywhere? (Import foley for example).

If you used 100 VST instruments and 1 1/16 note sine pulse from a Subtractor, that would satisfy not 100% VST rule.

I'm not trying to troll, just want to make sure that if I do enter I'm not breaking any rules.
Of course audio tracks are allowed. We simply mentioned the sound generating devices can't be purely VST. As stated there are no device limitations but even if hardware is used there's the midi in the EMI sequencer lane. given the current VST performance in Reason I don't see many people using that extreme example, but nonetheless, you are correct. That would fall within the rules so long as one is using Reason to do it and not another DAW.

Exowildebeest, as far as bouncing goes, if you need to save some CPU cycles and delete devices, one thing that I'm sure we''ll accept is if you could save the original device and tracks used in a separate song file. That's and understandable concern though so if there are any other solutions that arise besides the one I mentioned we will update. On the other hand, for those bummed that there's seemingly lack of limitations in this contest... well this would count as one :puf_wink:

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1405
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 02 Dec 2017

Thanks for qualifying QV, i can certainly see me needing to bounce to audio and retain the original devices. Then remove the original devices and save to a new iteration of the song file. I.e everything is traceable but maybe a few .reason song files need to be submitted to prove it.
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

stxlm
Posts: 70
Joined: 20 Feb 2015

Post 02 Dec 2017

I'll just record the Wiener Sängerknaben coughing and sneezing for an hour. You guys can give up now.

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1228
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 02 Dec 2017

stxlm wrote:
02 Dec 2017
I'll just record the Wiener Sängerknaben coughing and sneezing for an hour. You guys can give up now.
Wiener sängerknaben and a seasonal flu, that's as winter as it gets!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1730
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 03 Dec 2017

Update: Lab:One Recordings has joined us and offers 3 rack extensions of choice to the winner, and 2 rack extensions each to the runner-ups! The total prize pool is now at 3262€, 1713€ of which goes to the lucky winner.

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 1881
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 03 Dec 2017

Could there be more winners than 3? There is a lot of stuff to go around. Could probably spread the prizes to 3rd 4th runner ups no? Just missing out on 3rd place should be rewarded somehow imo, I would think there will be a lot of entrants!
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1228
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 03 Dec 2017

There's no way of telling how many people will enter. Don't mistake thread activity for competition activity, we have different stats. :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 1881
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 03 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
03 Dec 2017
There's no way of telling how many people will enter. Don't mistake thread activity for competition activity, we have different stats. :)
Poll?
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1730
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 03 Dec 2017

There's also no way of removing prizes (or spread them differently) after the competition has started. That would be completely unfair to whoever has already started working on their song...

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 1881
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 03 Dec 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
03 Dec 2017
There's also no way of removing prizes (or spread them differently) after the competition has started. That would be completely unfair to whoever has already started working on their song...
Just a suggestion. What if other Dev's get involved there could be some consolation prizes then no? They would not be listed so it would not be unfair... If anything more is added then it is unfair not splitting the prizes a bit less generously. First spot has a lot of stuff as it is. Half of what is there is plenty imo!

I have a D16 voucher I could donate if there would be more places added.
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1730
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 03 Dec 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
03 Dec 2017
WongoTheSane wrote:
03 Dec 2017
There's also no way of removing prizes (or spread them differently) after the competition has started. That would be completely unfair to whoever has already started working on their song...
Just a suggestion. What if other Dev's get involved there could be some consolation prizes then no? They would not be listed so it would not be unfair... If anything more is added then it is unfair not splitting the prizes a bit less generously. First spot has a lot of stuff as it is. Half of what is there is plenty imo!

I have a D16 voucher I could donate if there would be more places added.
The thing is, it started small (two devs involved) and snowballed extremely rapidly in about a week.

During this short week, we (mods, sponsors...) exchanged about a hundred pages of messages, considering everything from every angle. I'm pretty sure every suggestion you can have has been made at least 3 times. Like the competition itself, we've considered everything between super-restrictive requirements - technically, musically - to no requirements at all. One device, 10 devices, native only, VSTs allowed, 50% of each, no audio, audio welcome, no outboard, limit effects, limit tracks, time signatures, winner takes all, big random lottery, prizes exchange, call it Winter, Christmas, Festivus, Holidays, announce the winners before Christmas, on New Year's eve, on RT's anniversary, etc, etc. You name it, we discussed it, and every aspect of it.

We've also been extremely surprised with how gracious and generous the devs have been (some of them even went so far as to suggest other devs to help. At a moment's notice!). I simply can't see myself arbitrarily splitting the existing prizes into smaller "valuable" and "less valuable" loot boxes; it would be akin to saying "hey, your device isn't worthy of first place". I can't talk for the rest of the mods, but I'm pretty sure none of them would put themselves forward to do that either.

So, after a week, two things emerged: 1) we were running short on time, and 2) we wanted to do more of those. So we had to settle for what we had - which IMHO is pretty nice already - and every idea we had will most probably be recycled in the near future, in a way or another.

So, if you feel we missed something, don't worry: we'll be back for more of the same (and more of the different as well). We're completely open to suggestions for those (and duly noting everything that's being said here).

But right now, the game has started, there's no changing the rules!

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6111
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 03 Dec 2017

For those participating... If the thought of winter inspires you to write about a holiday... and if that holiday happens to be xmas, here is a video I came across that talks about the magic chords used in a lot of xmas music. It also touches on the the fact that it's been quite some time since the last big xmas hits have been written. So, if you are looking to write the next xmas hit for the competition, you might find this video helpful or inspiring.


TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1758
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 03 Dec 2017

I'm really looking forward to hear what people come up with for this song challenge.

For my own track I decided to not go the Christmas music route, no jingle bells or lyrics about Santa.
Instead so far my track is going in a darker direction. Whether or not it's wintery enough I have no idea, but at least it's made me go out of my comfort zone and try new things.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests