One synth EP Challenge (No competition or prizes - just for fun)

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
User avatar
GRIFTY
Posts: 641
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 Dec 2016

yeah give me a week and i'll confirm

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2383
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 09 Dec 2016

Ok. I just started making a Chip64 track and now I feel like committing to another EP. This might be a dumb decision but I'll go for it anyway. Chip music is all about simplicity anyway so there's no advanced production required.
It's most likely going to be really short songs, 3-8 tracks depending on how much time I have.

Deadline: same as my Legend EP, april 4.

User avatar
PhutureD
Posts: 440
Joined: 04 Aug 2015

Post 09 Dec 2016

Great idea , Ill be using predator, deadline is June 30 2017 title: The Techno Dimension

Sample of the 1st track

User avatar
Mystile
Posts: 33
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 Dec 2016

Ok well, I was all set for my quick deadline then life/work happened and my end of the year free time has been destroyed. I don't want to cancel the whole thing though, but I am going to need to push back my deadline. February 14th should be a doable goal..working title The Apocalypse

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 732
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 12 Dec 2016

Here i have posted some ideas on how this project has been going so far.

¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Dec 2016

modecca wrote:Here i have posted some ideas on how this project has been going so far.

Hi, modecca, did you do that insanely funny Parsec vs Noxious video years ago? I've been trying to find that one and some other vids in the same "style" lately but they seem to be gone. If it indeed was you could you please upload those vids again or put up a link or something? Thanks :P

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 732
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 12 Dec 2016

"Hi, modecca, did you do that insanely funny Parsec vs Noxious video years ago? I've been trying to find that one and some other vids in the same "style" lately but they seem to be gone. If it indeed was you could you please upload those vids again or put up a link or something? Thanks :P[/quote]"

Just go back to my yt channel, I just unchecked the private box for the RE review related videos.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Dec 2016

modecca wrote:"Hi, modecca, did you do that insanely funny Parsec vs Noxious video years ago? I've been trying to find that one and some other vids in the same "style" lately but they seem to be gone. If it indeed was you could you please upload those vids again or put up a link or something? Thanks :P
"

Just go back to my yt channel, I just unchecked the private box for the RE review related videos.[/quote]

Thanks a lot. It's such a good laugh watching them again. The bits with the callers are hilarious. I actually bought Parsec after watching these, way back

User avatar
ravisoni
Posts: 413
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Location: Las Vegas

Post 12 Dec 2016

I'm going to try a 3 song album with Lithium. Deadline is March 31st, 2017.
:reason: Reason 10 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

User avatar
rcbuse
Posts: 903
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: SR388

Post 12 Dec 2016

modecca wrote:Here i have posted some ideas on how this project has been going so far.

Fantastic

User avatar
Emian
Posts: 680
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 13 Dec 2016

modecca wrote:Here i have posted some ideas on how this project has been going so far.

man, you sure have a good ear for sound-design !!
if you have any suggestions for cool (CV or not) sound-design tools (on sale or not), please share them ! :)


"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2383
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 13 Dec 2016

ravisoni wrote:I'm going to try a 3 song album with Lithium. Deadline is March 31st, 2017.
Nice. It's a cool but pretty limited synth which makes your choice even more interesting imo. Seems like most people choose the other route with bigger synths, like with Nostromo.

User avatar
ravisoni
Posts: 413
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Location: Las Vegas

Post 14 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
ravisoni wrote:I'm going to try a 3 song album with Lithium. Deadline is March 31st, 2017.
Nice. It's a cool but pretty limited synth which makes your choice even more interesting imo. Seems like most people choose the other route with bigger synths, like with Nostromo.
Limited was part of the reason I chose it, because I have zero synth experience sans using the readymade patches. This will allow me to ease into the programming of synths without being overburdened with the steep learning curves. Or CV curves. Or sawtooths and other crazy things.

I'll possibly also indulge in another EP if all goes well with this one to try out another synth. Let's see how far I go before I get bored of synths yet again. :puf_smile:
:reason: Reason 10 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2383
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 14 Dec 2016

ravisoni wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:
ravisoni wrote:I'm going to try a 3 song album with Lithium. Deadline is March 31st, 2017.
Nice. It's a cool but pretty limited synth which makes your choice even more interesting imo. Seems like most people choose the other route with bigger synths, like with Nostromo.
Limited was part of the reason I chose it, because I have zero synth experience sans using the readymade patches. This will allow me to ease into the programming of synths without being overburdened with the steep learning curves. Or CV curves. Or sawtooths and other crazy things.

I'll possibly also indulge in another EP if all goes well with this one to try out another synth. Let's see how far I go before I get bored of synths yet again. :puf_smile:
In my experience, the good thing about working with simple synths is you tend to focus more on writing songs and melodies rather than spend all your time tweaking stuff.
Not that there's anything wrong with basing your song on sound design, but it's two different ways of going about it. Both worfklows have their own merit.

Peter

Post 14 Dec 2016

I'm working on a shit load of shit right now - gonna have at least ten new random tracks going into the new year. I don't know how that will bleed into the next couple months so I'll play it safe with a two track EP using Viking and a reasonably short deadline. Blamsoft Viking Feb 7th - my birfday.

User avatar
TheGodOfRainbows
Posts: 482
Joined: 31 Mar 2015

Post 19 Dec 2016

It's good to see so many people joining. BTW, why isn't this thread stickied? Can ya'll do that? Mods? Admins?
Also, I noticed Tritone has two synth challenges added to the list, so I'm going to add another too! To copy him! But not on the same date! I'm not that industrious or prolific. :puf_unhappy:

4-5 track EP using JPS Harmonic Synthesizer. Deadline: May 2, 2017.

For $40, it's awesome, and it's got so many fun sounds with which I will probably make a lot of silly sounding demented circus music (Danny Elfman/PeeWee-esque).

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2383
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 19 Dec 2016

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:It's good to see so many people joining. BTW, why isn't this thread stickied? Can ya'll do that? Mods? Admins?
Also, I noticed Tritone has two synth challenges added to the list, so I'm going to add another too! To copy him! But not on the same date! I'm not that industrious or prolific. :puf_unhappy:

4-5 track EP using JPS Harmonic Synthesizer. Deadline: May 2, 2017.

For $40, it's awesome, and it's got so many fun sounds with which I will probably make a lot of silly sounding demented circus music (Danny Elfman/PeeWee-esque).
Awesome, I was hoping someone would choose the JPS H synth. Nice to have a good variety with different synths in this thread.

I may be way in over my head with 2 EPs. I'm pretty sure both are gonna be very short though. Most of my songs tend to be somewhere between 2:20 and 3:00. So my Legend EP will proably end up around 10 minutes. My Chip64 songs will be even shorter for sure. But I'm actually thinking about switching my Chip64 EP to an FM4 EP instead since I just bought it. We'll see, as long as my deadline remains :)

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 732
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 21 Dec 2016

Here is my Nostromo 3 song ep .





¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2383
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 21 Dec 2016

modecca wrote:Here is my Nostromo 3 song ep .
Where's that damn like button when you need it?

Weird and wonderful.
Even though the structure of the songs are pretty random I still find there's a nice flow between the different parts.
The EP as a whole sounds coherent like the songs belong together.
Lots of interesting sounds.
Nice work.

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 732
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 21 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
modecca wrote:Here is my Nostromo 3 song ep .
Where's that damn like button when you need it?

Weird and wonderful.
Even though the structure of the songs are pretty random I still find there's a nice flow between the different parts.
The EP as a whole sounds coherent like the songs belong together.
Lots of interesting sounds.
Nice work.
Thanks, this was a lot of fun and I agree with your assessment, 100 percent.

If anyone wants the play with the .Rns files for any of these songs just give me your email.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2152
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 21 Dec 2016

Hi Modecca, reminds me quite a bit of Severed Heads.

Here is my album done. Remember not technically part of the challenge as I was already mostly done and I usied one synth per track.

Full description here https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2016/12/2 ... eep-plays/



:)

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2383
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 22 Dec 2016

modecca wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:
modecca wrote:Here is my Nostromo 3 song ep .
Where's that damn like button when you need it?

Weird and wonderful.
Even though the structure of the songs are pretty random I still find there's a nice flow between the different parts.
The EP as a whole sounds coherent like the songs belong together.
Lots of interesting sounds.
Nice work.
Thanks, this was a lot of fun and I agree with your assessment, 100 percent.

If anyone wants the play with the .Rns files for any of these songs just give me your email.
So now the obvious question is, what synth are you gonna pick for your next EP? :)

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 732
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 22 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
modecca wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:
modecca wrote:Here is my Nostromo 3 song ep .
Where's that damn like button when you need it?

Weird and wonderful.
Even though the structure of the songs are pretty random I still find there's a nice flow between the different parts.
The EP as a whole sounds coherent like the songs belong together.
Lots of interesting sounds.
Nice work.
Thanks, this was a lot of fun and I agree with your assessment, 100 percent.

If anyone wants the play with the .Rns files for any of these songs just give me your email.
So now the obvious question is, what synth are you gonna pick for your next EP? :)



The next step is handing this ep over to this super talented guy I know, so he can remix it and take it much further than I ever could on my own.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

User avatar
Kuranes
Posts: 43
Joined: 20 Oct 2016
Location: Trier/Germany

Post 31 Dec 2016

Holy shit, I did it. I made that E.P. Thought I'd go insane in the process; more than once I cursed myself for having set such a close deadline. But I did it. For sure, this thing is far from being perfect. I learned a lot, and especially I learned how much I still suck in many aspects of music production.

But I brought some melodies with me, that possibly might drill their ways through your hearing to fill your hearts with awe and wonder, fear and relief.

Some of those melodies are very grim melodies. Echoes of my disbelief in the face of events I never believed to be possible. When you hear it, you'll know what I mean.

Here's my E.P. "Kaleidoscope". Except drums and voice-samples, all sounds were produced with Lectric Panda’s mighty NOSTROMO!

Enjoy...

Full Tracklist:


Single Tracks:

1. "You know, there aren't six people in this room who know, how true this really is"


2. How to fail epic


3. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled...


4. Synchronicity


5. Mare Tranquillitatis


6. The art of keeping a smile under the most adverse circumstances


7. "The waves, they don't care (they were born out at sea, and they live to crash)"
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-del-vecchio

User avatar
Kuranes
Posts: 43
Joined: 20 Oct 2016
Location: Trier/Germany

Post 31 Dec 2016

Holy shit, I did it. I made that E.P. Thought I'd go insane in the process; more than once I cursed myself for having set such a close deadline. But I did it. For sure, this thing is far from being perfect. I learned a lot, and especially I learned how much I still suck in many aspects of music production.

But I brought some melodies with me, that possibly might drill their ways through your hearing to fill your hearts with awe and wonder, fear and relief.

Some of those melodies are very grim melodies. Echoes of my disbelief in the face of events I never believed to be possible. When you hear it, you'll know what I mean.

Here's my E.P. "Kaleidoscope". Except drums and voice-samples, all sounds were produced with Lectric Panda’s mighty NOSTROMO!

Enjoy...

Full Tracklist:


Single Tracks:

1. "You know, there aren't six people in this room who know, how true this really is"


2. How to fail epic


3. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled...


4. Synchronicity


5. Mare Tranquillitatis


6. The art of keeping a smile under the most adverse circumstances


7. "The waves, they don't care (they were born out at sea, and they live to crash)"
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-del-vecchio

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests