Song Challenge - Reason I Rly H8 U But I Wuv U 2

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
ravisoni

25 Mar 2024

Hello and Welcome all,

Long time no see. It's good to see the forum still thriving. Le PUF est mort, vive le RaisonTalk.

We recently had the 30-year celebrations. As Reason has morphed through time, I think it apropos to return to our innocent beginnings and challenge ourselves with the OG Factory Sound Bank. The one with the "Reason Sound", remember?

Here's a challenge for any takers:
Create a track at least 2 minutes long, and name it: Reason, I Rly H8 U But I Wuv U 2
(If your love-hate-love relationship with Reason were a track, what would it sound like?)

Restrictions:
1. Use sound samples only from Factory Sound Bank and Orkester Sound Bank (you can drop them into Kong, Redrum, Umpf, Rytmik, etc)
2. If using a synth, use only one particular Synth for the entire song. OK to use the same synth multiple times for different sounds such as pads, basses, leads, etc
3. Cannot mix using the SSL console or SSL-series devices

If you are not sure about the restrictions or require further clarification, answer your own question with a "yes", and let that be your guiding light. I likely will refrain responding to any clarification questions, simply because I think it's best we not get too caught up in the details and instead just push our limits.

One point each will be assigned for: melody motifs, bass, beats, arrangement, mix, and creativity.
Three bonus points possible: vocals in your track (even if AI generated or from a services such as loopcloud), actually naming your track exactly as "Reason, I Rly H8 U But I Wuv U 2", and identifying all Enigma-related references in this post.

Deadline: 04/22/2024. Would be great to have them uploaded to SoundCloud, I think it's an easy access for casual lurkers. You will receive my honorary commentary to your tracks after the deadline. :lol:

If you are participating, please reply with the one particular synth you will be using for your entire track.
Last edited by ravisoni on 25 Mar 2024, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

ravisoni

25 Mar 2024

Was always fascinated with Antidote but never played with it. Will stick to that one for my own entry.

ChulaCoola

26 Mar 2024

I will use Thor - it is probably my favorite original Reason synth and I am fascinated by what I can do with the modulation matrix. :)

The SSL Console is the default one in Reason 12?

And which are the SSL series devices? Are those the compressors and such in the SSL console? Or are they external devices?
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

ravisoni

27 Mar 2024

Haha, it was a toss up between Thor, Subtractor and Antidote for me. Good choice, that Thor mod matrix is a beast.

Yes, SSL is the default. The challenge is to do all the mixing using any other device but not the channel strip in the SSL console. In other words, do the mixing in the rack with Mclass or the half width devices or other third party REs. And certainly no using that million dollar master compressor. :D

The other SSL devices I mentioned were the individual components of the SSL strip that they now have available as FX rack devices.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2024

If i can't use reason's mixer, I'm out.
That's the main reason i still use reason... :geek:

ravisoni

28 Mar 2024

Haha, but that's the challenge! See if you can restrict yourself to the rack devices for mixing!

ChulaCoola

28 Mar 2024

C'mon mcatalao you can do it!
I see you are a competition winner, show us how it's done!
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

tomusurp

07 Apr 2024

I'd be down to participate but I don't get the title, I'd rather just name my own beat, I have nothing against Reason. And the SSL should be allowed since we have to EQ and compress anyway.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2024

I don’t like them. That Sonny Bono didn’t treat Cher very well.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

07 Apr 2024

MrFigg wrote:
07 Apr 2024
I don’t like them. That Sonny Bono didn’t treat Cher very well.
Drove her over The Edge. And everyone is Mullen around about it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ravisoni

18 Apr 2024

tomusurp wrote:
07 Apr 2024
I'd be down to participate but I don't get the title, I'd rather just name my own beat, I have nothing against Reason. And the SSL should be allowed since we have to EQ and compress anyway.
Hey Tom. I think all those are part of the challenge, though the name is just meant for the kicks. It had something to do with the whole Enigma theme as well.

You are more than welcome to contribute a song, I am sure we would all still love to hear your track.

ChulaCoola

22 Apr 2024

Alright ravisoni, I have my song ready on SoundCloud. I Don't Really Hate U And I Rly Wuv U 2

I won't say it is perfect, and I am pretty sure there are a bunch of things out of whack. But I had fun putting this together, and I went really heavy with the Thor sequencer and automated the hell out of the song. Have at it!

Anybody else want to give me feedback? Go for it!

ravisoni

22 Apr 2024

I am going to be late to my own challenge :lol:

Here's an interim idea of what I wanted to submit:

Didn't think I'd draw so many blanks when making music. ChulaCoola, will review your track soon!

ChulaCoola

23 Apr 2024

I drew a lot of blanks too, I started with making from scratch, a kick drum, snare, and bass guitar in Thor, and after a while of fussing with that, I decided to just use the Thor patches for kick, snare and bass guitar. And I had a lot of other ideas which I threw out, changed. Then I didn't know what to do after that, I'd spend a whole day playing what I had, fiddling around with stuff, not coming up with much, drop it for a while. I spent two or three weeks like that.

I think it was hard because I started with a drum part first, instead of having the melody or at least the bass down first. It was hard to make my bass part fit the drums.

• Information