Algoritm Song Competition!

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Loque

05 Mar 2021

So many wasted discussions about a few fx, where the time could be used to make great music...Man, i whish i could join the competition and i would make everything just with Algoritm...
Reason12, Win10

LongFist

05 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
05 Mar 2021

Reason+ devices just means every RE available from Reason Studios today.

I think in terms of additional Effects, that just means Polar and Rotor. You can of course use audio inputs for things like Parsec for its vocoder or Scenic for its effects, but all synth sounds must originate from Algoritm.
Joey, Polar and Rotor are both listed under the Effects included with R+ https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ts-effects They are the last two, are you saying that they are not included in R+?
>> all synth sounds must originate from Algoritm.
Anything else (included with R+) goes. Be creative.
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

joeyluck

05 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
05 Mar 2021

Reason+ devices just means every RE available from Reason Studios today.

I think in terms of additional Effects, that just means Polar and Rotor. You can of course use audio inputs for things like Parsec for its vocoder or Scenic for its effects, but all synth sounds must originate from Algoritm.
Joey, Polar and Rotor are both listed under the Effects included with R+ https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ts-effects They are the last two, are you saying that they are not included in R+?
No, they are of course included in Reason+, that's what I'm saying. Between Suite and Reason+, the only difference in devices defined as effects are those two. You can of course also use effects such as Parsec's vocoder, but all synth sounds must originate from Algoritm. :thumbup:

joeyluck

07 Mar 2021

Popey wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Hi Joeyluck,

Thanks for the update. I will keep an eye out on this thread in case the rules change to allow this but no problem if they don't. All the best everyone, happy creating :)
The rules have been updated to include RRP usage. Please keep in mind all rules still apply when it comes to plugin/effect usage.

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
07 Mar 2021
Popey wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Hi Joeyluck,

Thanks for the update. I will keep an eye out on this thread in case the rules change to allow this but no problem if they don't. All the best everyone, happy creating :)
The rules have been updated to include RRP usage. Please keep in mind all rules still apply when it comes to plugin/effect usage.
Wow nice one. Thanks for asking the question Joeyluck. Better get on with it now. 👍

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2021

Here is my entry for the competition.

I had fun with Algoritm and thanks for the competition!

Reason 10
- 7 x Algorithm
- Mclass compressor and eq
- Audiomatic
- Ecf-42
- Rv7000
- Drum supply
- SSL eq, filter and compressor

Billy+

07 Mar 2021

rare_shadow wrote:
07 Mar 2021
Cool track - did you create the Algorithm patches or use present?

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
07 Mar 2021
rare_shadow wrote:
07 Mar 2021
Thanks Billy+!

I have used stock presets only with additional eqing and filtering.

Billy+

07 Mar 2021

rare_shadow wrote:
07 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
07 Mar 2021

Thanks Billy+!

I have used stock presets only with additional eqing and filtering.
:thumbs_up: good luck

challism

09 Mar 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Mar 2021
That's really cool. Thumbs up for RS :thumbup:

I'm not sure I'll be able to join though. I'm already working on an Algoritm song and it's a project that's gonna take some time to finish. And I need to finish it before my trial is up. If we were only be able to use effects/REs other than stock devices I would finish the track and use that one for my entry.

It's awesome that there's so many song competitions going on currently here at RT, but I'm slightly bummed that so many insist on rules where only stock effects are allowed.
I think you should enter the song you are working on ~ just change out the effects for stock effects and call it good enough. Your songs are really good. I'm sure they can stand on their own, without your favorite effects.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (6.32 KiB) Viewed 21539 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

deeplink
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2021

Sorry to follow questions about the rules of this comp.

But I have to ask;
Non tonal sounds, like that of a door opening OR some of the samples in Kong's EFX section (some are synth-y based, impact sounds etc.) - are those allowed to be used? Or shall should we rather synthesize them using Algorithm?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2021

challism wrote:
09 Mar 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Mar 2021
That's really cool. Thumbs up for RS :thumbup:

I'm not sure I'll be able to join though. I'm already working on an Algoritm song and it's a project that's gonna take some time to finish. And I need to finish it before my trial is up. If we were only be able to use effects/REs other than stock devices I would finish the track and use that one for my entry.

It's awesome that there's so many song competitions going on currently here at RT, but I'm slightly bummed that so many insist on rules where only stock effects are allowed.
I think you should enter the song you are working on ~ just change out the effects for stock effects and call it good enough. Your songs are really good. I'm sure they can stand on their own, without your favorite effects.

Untitled.png
Thanks, that's very nice of you. I thought about that too initially, to just change the effects. But in the end, I didn't think it was worth it this time. I like this tune I'm working on and if I can make my song 5-10% better by using the effects I want, it just feels dumb to settle for something worse. This is the reason I don't like the "only use stock effects" rules. It's putting the limitations on the wrong things imo. It should be about the synth, the creative aspect of music making. I don't see why my choice of compressors, EQ and limiter is so important.
I felt like I had to choose between making my song slightly better or potentially get a price. I chose the former this time.

I didn't think I would at first, but I actually made the desicion to buy Algoritm. So it's already too late for me to enter anyway. But thanks for the encouragement. :D Good luck to everyone else. It'll be interesting to see what people will come up with.

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Mar 2021
Thanks, that's very nice of you. I thought about that too initially, to just change the effects. But in the end, I didn't think it was worth it this time. I like this tune I'm working on and if I can make my song 5-10% better by using the effects I want, it just feels dumb to settle for something worse. This is the reason I don't like the "only use stock effects" rules. It's putting the limitations on the wrong things imo. It should be about the synth, the creative aspect of music making. I don't see why my choice of compressors, EQ and limiter is so important.
I felt like I had to choose between making my song slightly better or potentially get a price. I chose the former this time.

I didn't think I would at first, but I actually made the desicion to buy Algoritm. So it's already too late for me to enter anyway. But thanks for the encouragement. :D Good luck to everyone else. It'll be interesting to see what people will come up with.
:clap:

Loque

09 Mar 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Mar 2021

I share your opinion, well, at least a little bit.

But my personal preferences at all would be to allow only the synth and nothing else. This would show the full potential of the synth.
I hate to listen to demo songs of synths, where you can clearly hear it is mastered with whatever expansive tools and you hear fx, which are clearly not in the synth, high quality drums which already make 70% of the song and other fat sounds and in the end only one line from the synth.
I take it as a challenge to make as much as possible with the synth only, but i also know, that it takes way more time to make your drums and percussions, all sounds, mix it good, let it sound good without having EQ, Gates, Compressors, Limiters and additional FX.

Well, somewhere always the line need to be drawn, to make it comparable to other competitors in the challenge which do not have the 3000$ mastering suite and for judges to verify the song file.

Nevertheless, I respect your decision.
Reason12, Win10

LongFist

09 Mar 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Mar 2021

I think the idea is that some submissions for this challenge will become samples to showcase the awesome power that Algortim brings to your rack. If we used any of our (external, not included) effects and such, then newbs who just got the module wouldn't be able to repeat our process. That sort of defeats the purpose of it being a "sample" that anyone could replicate, and so it goes.

Let me be the first to defend that practice: I learned soooo much about the various REs by grabbing some of these samples, and all it took was a little bit of self-study. For some of us that beats hours of video examples and tutorials!

Just throwing in a little perspective. My favorite effects aren't included in the R+ package, either, so I can see both sides of the coin fairly clearly.
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

I agree with Loque. I'd prefer challenges to be more challenging and have more focus be on the device itself. Like I mentioned, one of my favorites was the RX950 challenge.

We feel that the compromise of allowing anything built-in/included with Reason+ is plenty to work with; allowing the contestants to have lots of options, be on the same playing field, explore what is included with Reason, and makes it so we can more easily verify projects.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2021

LongFist wrote:
09 Mar 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Mar 2021

I think the idea is that some submissions for this challenge will become samples to showcase the awesome power that Algortim brings to your rack. If we used any of our (external, not included) effects and such, then newbs who just got the module wouldn't be able to repeat our process. That sort of defeats the purpose of it being a "sample" that anyone could replicate, and so it goes.
I get what you and other people here are saying. I can certainly see your point.
I guess in the end, for me it's more important to create the music I want. The competition/challenge part for me has always just been a fun bonus. If you win something, that's awesome. If not, at least I have a song I'm happy with.
I know many of these rules make sense from a developers perspective. And also from a competitive perspective they make things fair. Developers can put out demos that represent how their synths sound. And that's great for potential RE buyers too. I get that. It's just that for me, that's not my motivation to enter these challenges. For me it's always been about writing music I'm happy with and also having fun trying out a new synth.
Using effects I don't like using makes things less fun and inspiring to me. Other people see these rules as a fun challenge. I don't.

The rules are fine. They're just not for me, at least not at this moment in time. That's ok. Maybe I'll be less grumpy about it the next time. We'll see.
Alright I think I've said everything I had to say about this. Let's move on to making some actual music, whether we enter the competition or not. :-)

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
09 Mar 2021
I agree with Loque. I'd prefer challenges to be more challenging and have more focus be on the device itself. Like I mentioned, one of my favorites was the RX950 challenge.

We feel that the compromise of allowing anything built-in/included with Reason+ is plenty to work with; allowing the contestants to have lots of options, be on the same playing field, explore what is included with Reason, and makes it so we can more easily verify projects.
Why not just do that then?

Rules :

1) only Reason DAW effects & processing.
2) only Algoritm (presets or self designed)

I assume that the presets include percussion patches?

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
09 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
09 Mar 2021

Why not just do that then?

Rules :

1) only Reason DAW effects & processing.
2) only Algoritm (presets or self designed)

I assume that the presets include percussion patches?
The rules are set and we've already been receiving submissions :) And yes we were more flexible by just saying synth sounds must originate from Algoritm; to simplify things for drums, vocals, etc. Some people complain when they have to use the device for drums...you can't please everybody—there will always be something. We're happy with these rules :)

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

I wasn't saying change the rules during the competition even though they have been refined, but how about from this moment going forward into any future competitions.

There is a lot to be said about listening to demo songs that sound really good only to buy the device/patches and they sound less because they've been processed by undisclosed techniques.

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
09 Mar 2021
I wasn't saying change the rules during the competition even though they have been refined, but how about from this moment going forward into any future competitions.

There is a lot to be said about listening to demo songs that sound really good only to buy the device/patches and they sound less because they've been processed by undisclosed techniques.
I agree. I think what we have here is pretty solid and might be what we continue to use (although the RE dev has the final say).

Popey
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2021

Well I entered the comp. Drums and vocals are samples but everything else is Algoritm and stock reason devices.

I did not see anywhere to add my ableton live project though. Perhaps they just ask for this if you are a winner so they probably don't need this from me :)

my submission here:

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

Popey wrote:
09 Mar 2021
Well I entered the comp.All algoritm and stock reason devices. Drums and vocals are samples but everything else is Algoritm and stock reason devices.

I did not see anywhere to add my ableton live project though. Perhaps they just ask for this if you are a winner so they probably don't need this from me :)
I would assume that the project files needed to be viewed before the decision or else how would they determine whether you were in accordance with the rules.

Not saying you've cheated, but without the file who would know ;)

Either way good luck

Popey
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
09 Mar 2021
Popey wrote:
09 Mar 2021
Well I entered the comp.All algoritm and stock reason devices. Drums and vocals are samples but everything else is Algoritm and stock reason devices.

I would assume that the project files needed to be viewed before the decision or else how would they determine whether you were in accordance with the rules.

Either way good luck
Thanks Billy. Definitely didnt cheat and missed my pro q3 when using the m class equaliser and rack ssl eq to comply :)

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

Popey wrote:
09 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
09 Mar 2021

Either way good luck
Thanks Billy. Definitely didnt cheat and missed my pro q3 when using the m class equaliser and rack ssl eq to comply :)
Yeah after getting cable guy shaperbox awhile back I'm not sure I could use stock effects to achieve the same results and it would be permanently in the back of my head putting me off production :lol:

• Information