Happy Belated Black Friday from Kilohearts

Share, discuss and/or ask for advice about the Black Friday crazy here!
Kilohearts_Per

Post 27 Nov 2018

Because we are major screw-ups and can't get anything right our planned Black Friday sale didn't happen. So here we are at Black... Tuesday... i guess, with a great deal for anyone of you guys who isn't flat broke at this point.

Kilohearts Toolbox - 60% off!
The biggest RE bundle in the PH shop. Get all the sound design tools you need for a fraction of the price!

https://shop.propellerheads.com/bundle/ ... s-toolbox/

BananaSkins

Post 27 Nov 2018

Kilohearts_Per wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Because we are major screw-ups and can't get anything right
First time I've heard of your products and your advertisement post didn't really seem to encourage me to click your links!

your self marketing needs work :roll:

Kilohearts_Per

Post 27 Nov 2018

BananaSkins wrote:
27 Nov 2018
your self marketing needs work :roll:
Haha. I guess the statement applies to my sense of humor as well then.

EdGrip

Post 27 Nov 2018

I think you'd have to have lived under a rock to not have heard of KiloHearts.

Loque

Post 27 Nov 2018

Yea, Kilohearts produces great stuff. I have all of them. The RE are so quick, fast, easy and do well in most cases. They are my gotos for a lot of tasks. I also have The Works, but it lacks CV, but the only way to get Multipass which is great and has separated outputs, so it works perfect in Reason. They just need a The Works + RE Bundle.

If you don't already have some of their stuff, try it out. You will easily notice how fast you work and the good quality.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

antic604

Post 27 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Yea, Kilohearts produces great stuff. I have all of them. The RE are so quick, fast, easy and do well in most cases. They are my gotos for a lot of tasks. I also have The Works, but it lacks CV, but the only way to get Multipass which is great and has separated outputs, so it works perfect in Reason. They just need a The Works + RE Bundle.

If you don't already have some of their stuff, try it out. You will easily notice how fast you work and the good quality.
Wish they ported Multipass or at least SnapHeap to Reason. Sure you can get parallel or multi-band processing in other ways, but I like how their simple GUIs like in the Rack :)
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 @ Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Loque

Post 27 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
27 Nov 2018

Wish they ported Multipass or at least SnapHeap to Reason. Sure you can get parallel or multi-band processing in other ways, but I like how their simple GUIs like in the Rack :)
Agree to Multipass, but the rack is just too small and the performance for the GUI too bad :(

daisky

Post 27 Nov 2018

Kilohearts_Per wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Because we are major screw-ups and can't get anything right our planned Black Friday sale didn't happen. So here we are at Black... Tuesday... i guess, with a great deal for anyone of you guys who isn't flat broke at this point.

The biggest RE bundle in the PH shop. Get all the sound design tools you need for a fraction of the price!

FWIW, I actually appreciated very much how you wrote the post. It is sincere, funny, and not self-aggrandizing.

I have two questions (and others feel free to chime in):

1. I have been eyeing KH for a while (I have the two REs that come with the Backline bundle) and I am confused over whether to get the Reason Toolbox or the Works VST. The latter is much more appealing because I can use it in other DAWs, plus the snapins/multipass/etc. but the RE, I hate to say, looks much nicer :) Why can't you guys do it so that if you own The Works VST you automatically get the RE?

Also, if I get the VST, I won't be able to use the combinator presets etc. from the PH shop, right?

So, my first question is: Should I get the vst or the RE? There is no way I am getting both of course, and is there a way to make you own the RE if you own the VST?

2. Should I just forget about KH and get the Soundtoys 5 bundle? :) Why or why not?

Loque

Post 27 Nov 2018

daisky wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Kilohearts_Per wrote:
27 Nov 2018

FWIW, I actually appreciated very much how you wrote the post. It is sincere, funny, and not self-aggrandizing.

I have two questions (and others feel free to chime in):

1. I have been eyeing KH for a while (I have the two REs that come with the Backline bundle) and I am confused over whether to get the Reason Toolbox or the Works VST. The latter is much more appealing because I can use it in other DAWs, plus the snapins/multipass/etc. but the RE, I hate to say, looks much nicer :) Why can't you guys do it so that if you own The Works VST you automatically get the RE?

Also, if I get the VST, I won't be able to use the combinator presets etc. from the PH shop, right?

So, my first question is: Should I get the vst or the RE? There is no way I am getting both of course.

2. Should I just forget about KH and get the Soundtoys 5 bundle? :) Why or why not?
I think the problem is the extra effort and differences between RE and VST and the different market size, which requires an extra fee for the RE. I cross my fingers, that PH can sort this out. And yes, the RE looks much better, especially from the backside...

Soundtoys is great, but very different to khs imo. Khs is a quick work horse with good results. Soundtoys is a toy, you really get lost playing and experimenting around, good build in saturation. No Multipass and a few devices are just heavily overpriced. The best devices are Echoboy and the reverb. They all sound a bit dirty, where khs does clean and can be dirty.

Different ponys imo. Good to have both. But to give an example, the Khs filter has a note follow CV in. Perfect. Thought through. Khs loves, uses and knows CV. Soundtoys is even not every parameter automatable... What a shame...

Boombastix

Post 27 Nov 2018

You know the mis-match is an issue. I already had Faturator and Disperser as REs, then decided to buy the SnapHeap bundle. I can after all use the snap ins as individual VST, pretty much like individual REs. I also got kHs One.

So when I tried the new released patches for SnapHeap, I cannot use several of them since they need Faturator or Disperser as a snap in. That's a bummer, but I do not want to buy them again.

I wish kHs would be generous and acknowledge this, so that loyal Reason customers could freely cross grade Faturator and Disperser if they got the snap heap bundle. It is Christmas time after all.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

MrFigg

Post 27 Nov 2018

They’ve got some sort of 50% off two way crossgrade thing going on. I’ve got a few VSTs, more REs and a couple of doublers. I’d prefer to have the REs but think it’s just money thrown away to crossgrade

Kilohearts_Per

Post 28 Nov 2018

The cross-grade thing comes up from time to time.

We would love to be able to charge a single amount and give our customers all the formats available (VST2, AU, AAX and RE), but REs are sold and distributed exclusively in the Propellerhead shop. This is for good reason, both technical and usability-wise, but it makes it hard for us as a third-party developer. We can't sell REs on our own site or through our other retailers, and hence we can't include them in our bundles.

Propellerhead currently give a 50% cross-grade discount to any user who already owns the VST version of a RE, if I ask for it. This is a manual process for each customer.

In order to avoid unfair situations we do the same thing the other way around. If you own a RE and want the VST, ask me for the cross-grade discount (support@kilohearts.com). We have also been known to offer cross-grades from RE to VST for free during special promotion periods.

As for the question about whether to get the VSTs or REs for use specifically in Reason, I think the other fine people of this thread answers that better than me. I would suggest trialing both, and make up your own mind.

The Soundtoys 5 bundle looks amazing, and you should absolutely trial that as well before making up your mind. If you're stressed about sales running out, just try everything for an hour or so. I actually think it's strange how many people go straight for the buy button on our stuff without trying them first.

Loque

Post 28 Nov 2018

Kilohearts_Per wrote:
28 Nov 2018
The cross-grade thing comes up from time to time.

We would love to be able to charge a single amount and give our customers all the formats available (VST2, AU, AAX and RE), but REs are sold and distributed exclusively in the Propellerhead shop. This is for good reason, both technical and usability-wise, but it makes it hard for us as a third-party developer. We can't sell REs on our own site or through our other retailers, and hence we can't include them in our bundles.

Propellerhead currently give a 50% cross-grade discount to any user who already owns the VST version of a RE, if I ask for it. This is a manual process for each customer.

In order to avoid unfair situations we do the same thing the other way around. If you own a RE and want the VST, ask me for the cross-grade discount (support@kilohearts.com). We have also been known to offer cross-grades from RE to VST for free during special promotion periods.

As for the question about whether to get the VSTs or REs for use specifically in Reason, I think the other fine people of this thread answers that better than me. I would suggest trialing both, and make up your own mind.

The Soundtoys 5 bundle looks amazing, and you should absolutely trial that as well before making up your mind. If you're stressed about sales running out, just try everything for an hour or so.
:thumbs_up:

Kilohearts_Per wrote:
28 Nov 2018
I actually think it's strange how many people go straight for the buy button on our stuff without trying them first.
:? :oops: ;) I already had a few devices and they delivered, even if a few were for free. So i pulled the trigger at the right time and i was sure you gonna deliver and you did :puf_bigsmile:

scratchnsnifff

Post 28 Nov 2018

Kilohearts_Per wrote:
27 Nov 2018

Random request for the toolbox.

What are the chances of seeing an XY pad for audio :)

And a basic oscilloscope :)
Also is the parametric EQ on sale I think it’s called slice?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

Post 28 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
28 Nov 2018

What is an X/Y pad for AUDIO?

I use Oscarizer for my daily graphic analysis needs. Really thinking of upgrading to a pro version.

scratchnsnifff

Post 28 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
28 Nov 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
28 Nov 2018

I use Oscarizer for my daily graphic analysis needs. Really thinking of upgrading to a pro version.
I think there is one XY pad for audio by quadelctrica.

Look up Rob Papen vecto
XY pads for audio are devices that simply crossfade audio signals

The one that is in the shop is cool, but I’d like to see one that has various crossfade slopes and simple controls
Basically just the XY pad, and probably 3 crossfade slope amounts. Having various crossfade amounts helps because some audio might sound better when being used with a steeper or more gradual slope

But overall it’s for the use of home made vector synths, or for home made wavetable design :)

It would be a great tool to add for the reason KHS toolbox

Loque

Post 28 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
28 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
28 Nov 2018

I think there is one XY pad for audio by quadelctrica.

Look up Rob Papen vecto
XY pads for audio are devices that simply crossfade audio signals

The one that is in the shop is cool, but I’d like to see one that has various crossfade slopes and simple controls
Basically just the XY pad, and probably 3 crossfade slope amounts. Having various crossfade amounts helps because some audio might sound better when being used with a steeper or more gradual slope

But overall it’s for the use of home made vector synths, or for home made wavetable design :)

It would be a great tool to add for the reason KHS toolbox
Still no idea, wht X/Y for audio is, but i can imagine you mean some controlling of parameters in a X/Y fashion.
There is a X/Y controller from Quadlectra: https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... ectorizer/

And there are a few Synths out there, that can also output the controller data like Spectra, Vector, Quad, maybe more.

I am just thinking...i remember to have seen another X/Y....dunno atm.

joeyluck

Post 28 Nov 2018

You can also use the X/Y CV outs of the kHs Formant filter to control other things :)

Loque

Post 28 Nov 2018

joeyluck wrote:
28 Nov 2018
You can also use the X/Y CV outs of the kHs Formant filter to control other things :)
Bam! :thumbs_up:

scratchnsnifff

Post 28 Nov 2018

joeyluck wrote:
28 Nov 2018
True, but that is for CV connections. Which you can then use to control the level on a mixer

What I’m saying is to have an XY pad. With 4 audio inputs
And the XY pad would crossfade audio signals. I feel like it’s a fairly basic concept to implement, and would be very very handy
With the rise of user sample synths, devices like this would be inspiring when creating wavetables. It would be the opposite of how serum does it (you can get lost in serums table editor)

Plus vector synthesis is just plain fun! The results are ever evolving, and with reasons CV utilities you could have 4 separate synths an on those 4 separate synths you could modulate what waveform is being played :D

So yeah, sure it’s already possible. But it would be cool to see something that isn’t as much of a workaround. The various crossfade slopes would be such a helpful tool. Combined with the audio jacks

Data_Shrine

Post 29 Nov 2018

I have a few questions, since I'm considering the toolbox' REs :

-Is the Limiter a true peak limiter ? There are no attack settings, so this is handled internally ?
-There is no description on the shop page for the "mid" button on the Stereo device ? Can you isolate the bass up to a certain frequency to keep it mono ? (as in Ableton' utility device)
-This one isn't really a question, but please consider adding an oversampling switch in the back, to some of your devices, especially the compressor, limiter, distortion & ladder filter. Not many devices in Reason have oversampling & I can't live without it for final mixes & mastering.

cheers !

kitekrazy

Post 29 Nov 2018

EdGrip wrote:
27 Nov 2018
I think you'd have to have lived under a rock to not have heard of KiloHearts.
I treated it as sarcasm.

I hope they have such a deal again for REs. I like RE's because they force me to use Reason.

Kilohearts_Per

Post 30 Nov 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
29 Nov 2018
-Is the Limiter a true peak limiter ? There are no attack settings, so this is handled internally ?
True-Peak: Nope. Sorry.
Attack: It has a 2ms look-ahead to handle sudden changes.
Data_Shrine wrote:
29 Nov 2018
-There is no description on the shop page for the "mid" button on the Stereo device ? Can you isolate the bass up to a certain frequency to keep it mono ? (as in Ableton' utility device)
Mid: Controls how much of the non-stereo content to let through.
Isolate Bass: No. You would have to filter out the base and process it individually. If you get the VSTs these situations is where Multipass shines.
Data_Shrine wrote:
29 Nov 2018
-This one isn't really a question, but please consider adding an oversampling switch in the back, to some of your devices, especially the compressor, limiter, distortion & ladder filter. Not many devices in Reason have oversampling & I can't live without it for final mixes & mastering.
Distortion and Ladder Filter oversamples internally when needed. And we are considering adding such a switch to Limiter and Compressor. When we get the time...
Last edited by Kilohearts_Per on 03 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

adfielding

Post 30 Nov 2018

I know this isn't in the kHs Toolbox (which is flipping awesome and I use most of those REs on a regular basis!), but Disperser is such a useful tool. I've just been working on a tune where I noticed the kick was totally lacking presence on systems without a decent low-end response. I used Disperser to smear it a little and, presto, super punchy kick without compromising the mix. As both a mix and creative tool it's super useful. I highly recommend giving it a try.

• Information