You don't need that new plugin. (article and video)

Share, discuss and/or ask for advice about the Black Friday crazy here!
MikeMcKew

Post 20 Nov 2018

Hey everyone, just a reminder as we barrel head first further into the season of plugin deals.

You can read the article here: https://www.reasontalk.com/2018/11/you- ... ew-plugin/

and watch the video here:

What methods do you have to avoid the constant barrage of deals? Feel free to add your own! :puf_bigsmile:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for Reason and other audio production tutorials: YouTube Channel

C//AZM

Post 20 Nov 2018

If it's different than what I already have and I find it useful then yeah, I'm gonna buy it.
Inside of Reason, I buy mostly synths or SFX type gizmos because I use Reason mostly for tracking and rarely for mixing.

Outside of Reason, I have almost everything I need...for now.
I don't need any more verbs. I have the UAD EMTs, the Oceanway and the . I have Waves verbs and the Slate verbs plus a couple of 480 clones.
I have all the Comp. plugins I want/need too; UAD, Slate and Waves keep me complete.

Sometimes I might replace an older plugin with a new one.
Fab Filter Q2 comes to mind; I just bought it a few months ago and it's my go-to eq like the Q10, and the Sonnox Oxford used to be. Otherwise I'm using mostly Slate eqs. For special bus sweetening, I use the Massive Passive.

Other than a couple of new Voc mics, I don't have anything that's pressing me to purchase and it's funny not feeling that Black Friday urge/pressure to buy something I've been anting.

bxbrkrz

Post 20 Nov 2018

MikeMcKew wrote:
20 Nov 2018
Hey everyone, just a reminder as we barrel head first further into the season of plugin deals.

You can read the article here: https://www.reasontalk.com/2018/11/you- ... ew-plugin/

What methods do you have to avoid the constant barrage of deals? Feel free to add your own! :puf_bigsmile:
Something something self control. The void you feel inside is fake, created by marketing.

A reminder how much we love (do we?) our ultra materialistic world. Good advice/video. :thumbs_up:

motuscott

Post 20 Nov 2018

The Flying Spaghetti Monster didn't place me in our contemporary civilization to not buy shit.
Consume or die.
Last edited by motuscott on 20 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

guitfnky

Post 20 Nov 2018

#fakenews

MikeMcKew

Post 20 Nov 2018

Yes, self control is the key! It's crazy how good marketers have gotten at making us want something we didn't want before.
bxbrkrz wrote:
20 Nov 2018
MikeMcKew wrote:
20 Nov 2018

Something something self control. The void you feel inside is fake, created by marketing.

A reminder how much we love (do we?) our ultra materialistic world. Good advice/video. :thumbs_up:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for Reason and other audio production tutorials: YouTube Channel

muckmclane

Post 20 Nov 2018

Mike all that money that you save, finally getting to that place where you have cured you're GAS, will be transferred over to you're girl's GAS.
We have to at least pretend we have costly hobbies (and time consuming).

MannequinRaces

Post 20 Nov 2018

My 'tip' is to really take advantage of the 30 day trial for REs. There's been plenty of times where I've been smitten with a slick audio example or promo video only to find that working with the RE I'm trailing is a so so experience. Use those 30 days wisely to really run a RE through it's paces. Only trial one RE at a time (this can be hard to do). If you miss the sales there will always be more. Force yourself to make a song(s) with the REs you already own before buying a new one, get to know the gear you already have. The past couple of sales I have shown great restraint and this Black Friday am only looking for a few things to go on sale. If they don't, I'm not gonna buy. :) Now my Steam wishlist... that's a different story, haha!

selig

Post 20 Nov 2018

MikeMcKew wrote:
20 Nov 2018
Yes, self control is the key! It's crazy how good marketers have gotten at making us want something we didn't want before.
bxbrkrz wrote:
20 Nov 2018

I would argue, as someone who's been around the sun a good number of times, that marketers are no better today than they've ever been, as human nature has not changed much over the millennia.

Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) applies as much today as it did in ancient Roman times, and probably long before then! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ahornberg

Post 20 Nov 2018

but it's fun to get inspiration from new plugins, especially from presets that usually come with new plugins

bxbrkrz

Post 20 Nov 2018

MikeMcKew wrote:
20 Nov 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:
20 Nov 2018

Yes the famous snake oil salesman (in any forms, political, religious, etc), since time immemorial.
I would argue there is a much more modern, insidious and scientific way of targeting/creating the void inside us. YT: The Death of Facebook | How Social Media Ripped Apart a Generation ( I don't want to cross post what I've already posted).
I could counter argue myself and say: "Well Mr bxbrkrz, or whatever your stupid name is, what about the pyramids? Hmm? How powerful were those snake oil masters then? Facebook? Bah! To be able to push thousands of people building 3 massive tombs in such little time. Hmm? What say you?"
I would push back and say: "Well. They are not tombs. You don't need to believe that lie either :puf_wink: "

antic604

Post 20 Nov 2018

I found 2 working solutions for me:
- I'm making an Excel file with deals I'm interested in, with price in EUR/USD and PLN as well as pros & cons
- I'm demoing everything - surprisingly I'm very rarely surprised anymore

So far I've not spent a dime and most offers are already up :)

I wonder if Props will wait until Friday, because lots of people will spend their money before that elsewhere...
Reason 10 // Bitwig 2 // Live 10 @ Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB
My music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Oquasec

Post 20 Nov 2018

The only time you should get new plugins is when you don't have plugins in the first place.
Producer/Sound Designer.
Anything works.

MikeMcKew

Post 20 Nov 2018

Oquasec wrote:
20 Nov 2018
The only time you should get new plugins is when you don't have plugins in the first place.
On the other hand, Reason comes with a fantastic suite of plugins right out of the box. Plus there are some fantastic free plugins out there these days. I'd argue that you can make hits without spending a dime, but I admit that for certain things you'll want to shell out.

kitekrazy

Post 21 Nov 2018

MikeMcKew wrote:
20 Nov 2018
Oquasec wrote:
20 Nov 2018
On the other hand, Reason comes with a fantastic suite of plugins right out of the box. Plus there are some fantastic free plugins out there these days. I'd argue that you can make hits without spending a dime, but I admit that for certain things you'll want to shell out.
I wonder if some can fathom that there was a lot of great music cranked out on Reason 4.

Exowildebeest

Post 21 Nov 2018

Excellent tip on digging through your plugin list and finding something "new" for "free"!

Talking about free, there's also the nice developers giving stuff away for free on Black Friday - also a form of marketing of course, but worth checking out :)
selig wrote:
20 Nov 2018
MikeMcKew wrote:
20 Nov 2018

I would argue, as someone who's been around the sun a good number of times, that marketers are no better today than they've ever been, as human nature has not changed much over the millennia.
They have got better - they're so good you don't even realize it :P

MikeMcKew

Post 21 Nov 2018

Very true. :) And regarding marketing, it's really crazy what they've been able to do within just a couple decades.

I'm listening to The Power of Habit on audiobook right now, and it cemented my decision to make the video. Here's an excerpt that shows just how deep companies can go these days:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/maga ... rlesduhigg

Highly recommend the book btw!
Exowildebeest wrote:
21 Nov 2018
Excellent tip on digging through your plugin list and finding something "new" for "free"!

Talking about free, there's also the nice developers giving stuff away for free on Black Friday - also a form of marketing of course, but worth checking out :)
selig wrote:
20 Nov 2018

Exowildebeest

Post 21 Nov 2018

MikeMcKew wrote:
21 Nov 2018
Very true. :) And regarding marketing, it's really crazy what they've been able to do within just a couple decades.

I'm listening to The Power of Habit on audiobook right now, and it cemented my decision to make the video. Here's an excerpt that shows just how deep companies can go these days:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/maga ... rlesduhigg

Highly recommend the book btw!
Exowildebeest wrote:
21 Nov 2018

Looks interesting. I'll add that to my list.

Although it's 6 years old now, so things have probably progressed even further :D Propellerheads might soon be harvesting our saliva to find out which RE's we want based on AI analysis of our DNA.

Heigen5

Post 21 Nov 2018

I haven't been buying or even trialed anything new for 8-9 months. I should rather use what i have, like when we had R & R. Part of me wishes that we never got REs & VSTs. They coulda only add Europa and other Propellerhead synths later on. Ok, well I don't know now, how to get a saturated feel to it out my mind???

dvdrtldg

Post 21 Nov 2018

To be honest, my remedy for plugin addiction has been to buy lots of plugins. I'm at the point now where I really do have (more than) everything I need, the impulse does arise sometimes but if I make sure I demo everything first, I usually find I don't pull the trigger

So that's some comfort. There is a way out of GAS, you just have to buy all the plugins until there's no more G to A

Exowildebeest

Post 21 Nov 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Nov 2018
To be honest, my remedy for plugin addiction has been to buy lots of plugins. I'm at the point now where I really do have (more than) everything I need, the impulse does arise sometimes but if I make sure I demo everything first, I usually find I don't pull the trigger

So that's some comfort. There is a way out of GAS, you just have to buy all the plugins until there's no more G to A
True, same here - and that goes together with the check-the-library-of-plugins-you-already-have-tip, as you need a fair amount to be able to apply that advice :)

Loque

Post 21 Nov 2018

It's always good to remember that some stuff is sh1t and still will be sh!t regardless how cheap they sell it and you know you never gonna touch it after installation or a one-time-use...
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

craven

Post 21 Nov 2018

got it anyway :mrgreen:
:ugeek:

BRIGGS

Post 21 Nov 2018

Anything weird and unique, is a buy, for me.

Social Exodus

Post 21 Nov 2018

Timely thread. I agree with the OP personally, even though I have purchased PLENTY of rack extensions. I keep hoping it will make up for a lack of talent.

It hasn't :(
To Reason is Divine! :reason:(v10) :re:(Too many to count) :refill:(A few choice items)

• Information