How let a Player in Combi rule several instruments?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Yonatan

Post 07 Jun 2024

I am trying to make Combinators to ease up my workflow. Now, I stacked ID8 (string sound) and underneath is Friktion. I did put RS Chord sequencer player on top of the ID8. So far so good, but I would like to have Chord player to trigger Friktion in the same way so that not the original note is heard on Friktion, but the chord that is mapped in CS.
I dont want to copy-paste to have two CS players and everytime I change someting, I need copy-paste again.

I fiddled around and looked at Reason manual (saw nothing on it), but cant get it right, still hear the dissonant note from Friktion even if it plays multiple keys at some points. I think CS must be able to chain control several devices? I know I can do it by putting the CS above the Combinator, but that is not my intention at this point, I want to learn how I can use players inside of the Combinator to make more complex instruments that might be working together.

If you know any good tutorial video to watch that would be great.

I do try to use Midi-CV player to fiddle around but honestly have no clue what the h* i am doing. Frustration to have break from Reason and then come back and find it not so intuitively working as one wish. The whole cosmos of getting players to communicate and sync together with each other, is something that I miss when comes to tutorial videos.
I mean, is not the whole reason behind players like Beatmap, CS, BassPlayer etc, to make them be able to play like a midi keyboard one band style? I have tried in past and had both some failures and some aha wow moments, but I never remember exactly how I did, so everytime I try work with Midi-Players and CV and Combinators, I easily get lost.

If Reason Studios are listening, pls, if you gonna dig into Ai, first, make it as easy as possible to have some kind of Master Player in the Sequencer and/or Rack, to make all the units you created, follow along, so one can change Arrangements with push of a button, change keys etc, and also expand it to integrate with Blocks for live sequencing.

Yonatan

Post 07 Jun 2024

So, I guess the easiest at the moment for me, is to indeed drag a player to each device and copy and paste the patch to each player, and when having them all in the Combinator, all get triggered as one instrument, while this makes it a bit hard to overview, it still allows to adjust each player slightly for variety, so well, for now, that solves the problem, but still interested if one can do the same by Midi-CV, to chain two or more instruments under one Player, it would save some space.

Pepin

Post 07 Jun 2024

You're right that there's no direct way to do this.
The free CV Player Tap is a workaround. You'd place one under the source player and above each chained device. It's up to you whether wiring that up is worth the hassle vs copy-pasting the patch.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PhillipOrdonez

Post 07 Jun 2024

Midi CV player works beautifully. Setup is like the free CV tap, but works better than CV tap. Since you're already trying it, give it a go

Yonatan

Post 07 Jun 2024

Thanks for your inputs. I will try it out a bit more until I know what I am doing.

Ok, so one under source player, then one above each chained device. Thanks, was a bit unsure.

Yes, I think Midi-Cv player allows multi tones in one CV cable if remember correctly, so less cables.

I really hope RS develops these concepts further and helps with more functions to command Players to play together on the fly.

I have wanted to sync the BassPlayer following chord sequencer but given up for now. Maybe not designed for this yet. Or I just need find a way to stack the Players in correct orders.

My goal is to be able to play around live with some harmonic ideas and have both keys, bass and drums play at the push a button/or push of midi keys, a bit like keyboards that play backing track and when switching key, it changes along.

Loque

Post 07 Jun 2024

Yonatan wrote:
07 Jun 2024
Thanks for your inputs. I will try it out a bit more until I know what I am doing.

Ok, so one under source player, then one above each chained device. Thanks, was a bit unsure.

Yes, I think Midi-Cv player allows multi tones in one CV cable if remember correctly, so less cables.

I really hope RS develops these concepts further and helps with more functions to command Players to play together on the fly.

I have wanted to sync the BassPlayer following chord sequencer but given up for now. Maybe not designed for this yet. Or I just need find a way to stack the Players in correct orders.

My goal is to be able to play around live with some harmonic ideas and have both keys, bass and drums play at the push a button/or push of midi keys, a bit like keyboards that play backing track and when switching key, it changes along.
AFAIR you can chain Chord Players together, that means one Chord Player on your main instrument and Chord Players on your chained instruments (connect on the backside).
Reason13, Win10

selig
RE Developer

Post 07 Jun 2024

Yonatan wrote:
07 Jun 2024
I do try to use Midi-CV player to fiddle around but honestly have no clue what the h* i am doing.
To use MIDI-CV for multiple splits you'll need to use the CV Splitter in Reason. Connect both Gate and CV cables!
Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 9.20.43 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc

Post 07 Jun 2024

I'm sure I'm not understanding, but why not have the player drive the entire combinator?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Yonatan

Post 07 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
07 Jun 2024
Yonatan wrote:
07 Jun 2024
I do try to use Midi-CV player to fiddle around but honestly have no clue what the h* i am doing.
To use MIDI-CV for multiple splits you'll need to use the CV Splitter in Reason. Connect both Gate and CV cables!
Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 9.20.43 AM.png
Thanks, will use this map and give it some more tries. :thumbup:

Yonatan

Post 07 Jun 2024

robussc wrote:
07 Jun 2024
I'm sure I'm not understanding, but why not have the player drive the entire combinator?
I know it is a smarter way overall, but it is more that I want to be able to save some Combinators that are having a lot going on in them with players and chained instruments in them, that I can at hands. And also I want to understand more how to connects and make Players and instruments sync/follow or "listen" to each other.

Even if going with players on each Combinator, I am still interested to be able to connect these Combinator-instruments together to sync with other players. I know it is not optimal to work with players like this, I guess RS might need to make some adjustments or additions to get more of a Master control of all the players.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

Post 09 Jun 2024

The player Receive Notes will be your friend here (you can also from the combinator programmer turn off sending notes to particular instruments which is a little hidden on R12 under Performance Controls, but I prefer the player device.)

Now you said Midi CV player I'm not sure if you mean the Midi CV converter or the CV Tap, Add Receive notes on top of Friktion and turn it off, then add the Midi CV under it. Friktion will now only play from notes from the Midi CV (note if you were talking about the Midi CV Converter then just under the ON button there is a small square button called Midi In, you can turn that off and that will block any incoming signal from the Combinator.

I have a few video's on my channel where I build big combinators and projects just running from players only, no data in the Seq. You might get some info them.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PoohBearsReasonChannel

Yonatan

Post 10 Jun 2024

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
09 Jun 2024
The player Receive Notes will be your friend here (you can also from the combinator programmer turn off sending notes to particular instruments which is a little hidden on R12 under Performance Controls, but I prefer the player device.)

Now you said Midi CV player I'm not sure if you mean the Midi CV converter or the CV Tap, Add Receive notes on top of Friktion and turn it off, then add the Midi CV under it. Friktion will now only play from notes from the Midi CV (note if you were talking about the Midi CV Converter then just under the ON button there is a small square button called Midi In, you can turn that off and that will block any incoming signal from the Combinator.

I have a few video's on my channel where I build big combinators and projects just running from players only, no data in the Seq. You might get some info them.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PoohBearsReasonChannel
Thanks for the input and trips and trix. Will experiment with that.
Will look at your Youtube and get some hints on how to go about it.

• Information