can you sidechain reverb (or any FX) when it's used as a send FX?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
vrbi

22 Apr 2024

Hello,

can you help me figuring out how to sidechain reverb effect - I've used it (perfect plate) as a send effect to save som CPU, because I'll be using it on more tracks than one - but now I can't get my head around the issue how to make the sidechaining properly, is it actually possible on the send FX?
Or am I destined to make it as parallel channel to have clean channel+FX channel (and thus more instances of reverb to eat up more CPU)?
Attachments
reason send FX.png
reason send FX.png (597.37 KiB) Viewed 123 times

huggermugger

22 Apr 2024

I'm assuming you want to use sidechaining to duck the reverb when an instrument plays? If so, it's an odd request if used on more than one instrument at the same time because the ducking will happen for the total reverb sound even if only one instrument crosses the threshold. Still, yes you can duck a send reverb.

1. Insert a compressor on the reverb in the master section (you'll probably have to flip the rack and rewire it - SEND > RVB IN; RVB OUT > COMP IN; COMP OUT > RTN.
2. Patch another one of Reason's Sends into the Sidechain input of the COMP. Then use that send on any channel strip to feed the Sidechain.

In these images, I'm using Send 1 for the reverb, and Send 8 for the Sidechain.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 11.55.27 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 11.55.27 AM.png (544.11 KiB) Viewed 115 times
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 11.54.41 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 11.54.41 AM.png (337.2 KiB) Viewed 115 times

vrbi

22 Apr 2024

huggermugger wrote:
22 Apr 2024
I'm assuming you want to use sidechaining to duck the reverb when an instrument plays? If so, it's an odd request if used on more than one instrument at the same time because the ducking will happen for the total reverb sound even if only one instrument crosses the threshold. Still, yes you can duck a send reverb.
no, that's what I am trying to avoid- I tried to ask whether it is possible to sidechain (duck) individual track(s) - it doesn't makes sense to duck the reverd generally and influence other tracks on which the ducked send effect is used.

so this means, probably, the answer to my question is - "no, it's not possible" and I should do it the more CPU eating way - set parallel channels for all the individual tracks and not use the reverb as a send effect. right?

huggermugger

22 Apr 2024

vrbi wrote:
22 Apr 2024
so this means, probably, the answer to my question is - "no, it's not possible" and I should do it the more CPU eating way - set parallel channels for all the individual tracks and not use the reverb as a send effect. right?
That's correct. If you want sidechain control on an individual channel's reverb, you can't use the reverb in a Send (unless the only thing being sent is that one channel). Each channel would need a unique reverb.

vrbi

22 Apr 2024

oh, so this is what I was afraid of, hmm. that's a shame.
but thank you for clearing out!

• Information