Things I never noticed in Reason, or are new…

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
selig
RE Developer

22 Feb 2024

Today I received an email containing a new version of a mix for me to reference in an on going project. I wanted to import the mix into the song file so I could quickly compare and see where I was "off".

So in the email, I selected the mp3 and did a quick 'right click'. Up came an "open with" dialog with Reason as one of the options. Thinking it would open the song in a new song file and I'd have to copy/paste, I clicked on it.
What it actually did was EXACTLY what I wanted, it imported the song as the last mixer channel into the open mix file. Perfect. Never knew you could do this in one command.

If I wanted it in it's own empty song file, just create a new file first then go to your email and right click "open with" Reason and Bob's your uncle.

You learn something new every day, even after 20 years of working with an app!

I'll add to this if/when I discover new things, and comments and sharing is welcome from all!
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

22 Feb 2024

Funny, I was thinking about starting this exact topic for over a week now, because...

When I see a large number of samples in the latency display down in the transport bar, I like to know which RE is the source of that. There are some that are obvious candidates (e.g., when look-ahead is involved), but hunting the culprit down can be tedious. However, I just recently realized that the latency for the inserts is also displayed on each channel in the mixer (below the edit-inserts button), never noticed that before :o
selig wrote:
22 Feb 2024
What it actually did was EXACTLY what I wanted, it imported the song as the last mixer channel into the open mix file. Perfect. Never knew you could do this in one command.
Wow, I tried it right away on my Windows machine. That option wasn't there, but after browsing for Reason.exe with "open file with other program" it did exactly what you described. And after doing that just one time, Reason is now in the default list of programs to open MP3-files :clap:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

joeyluck

22 Feb 2024

Yeah this is how I work.

There is a bug though, if Reason isn't open and you select to open multiple audio files with Reason, it will duplicate the first audio file that many times. For example, if I select and open "file 1" through "file 4" Reason will open with four tracks of file 1. And this gets me every time.

selig
RE Developer

22 Feb 2024

joeyluck wrote:
22 Feb 2024
Yeah this is how I work.

There is a bug though, if Reason isn't open and you select to open multiple audio files with Reason, it will duplicate the first audio file that many times. For example, if I select and open "file 1" through "file 4" Reason will open with four tracks of file 1. And this gets me every time.
So the key is to have Reason launched first?
The surprise for me wasn't so much the "open with" part, but that it could be invoked from a file attached to an email (that I hadn't even downloaded yet). The fact that it would insert itself to the open song rather than creating a new song every time was a bonus, as I don't think I'd ever done this with a work in progress open.
Hadn't tried it with multiple files yet, I'm usually dragging them from the desktop - I SHOULD be doing it as you do, don't know why it's never occurred to me to try it!!!
Selig Audio, LLC

Noise
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2024

Just found out a weird one today:
In the piano roll, if you draw to select a bunch of notes and using use ctrl + up / down they move, as usual.
But if you double click on the piano note to select the full line of notes, you can no longer ctrl + up / down them. :thumbup: /s
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

challism

23 Feb 2024

Something that appears to be new.. not sure when it was implemented..

As far back as Reason 7 (IIRC) we have been able to expand the rack columns, for what seems be an infinite number of columns, to the right of the Hardware Interface/Master Section column. But Reason limited us to one column to the left of the Hardware Interface/Master Section column. I recently noticed that we can now expand the rack columns to left of the Hardware Interface/Master Section column, just like we have been able to do on the right. Since discovering this, I've been putting my MIDI devices on one side and my audio tracks on the other side and it's really helped with my rack organization.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

04 Apr 2024

Noise wrote:
22 Feb 2024
Just found out a weird one today:
In the piano roll, if you draw to select a bunch of notes and using use ctrl + up / down they move, as usual.
But if you double click on the piano note to select the full line of notes, you can no longer ctrl + up / down them. :thumbup: /s
I just checked, and it works fine for me, no restrictions just because of how I selected the notes - not sure what could be different between our setups (I'm on the latest version fwiw)?
Selig Audio, LLC

Noise
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2024

I'm still on 12.7.3d18, windows 10 Machine.
I can reproduce this issue.
- Double click on the piano roll to select the notes, don't click anything else, just press ctrl + up / down.
- Does the notes move ?

I'm pretty sure this thread was about happy little details in reason, and I'm just showing a bug lol. I use the most boring keyboard in the world, no addons or another apps for shortcuts, it's odd.

Will update to the newest version to check this again ( 12.7.4d3 )!
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

ProfessaKaos

05 Apr 2024

Noise wrote:
04 Apr 2024
- Double click on the piano roll to select the notes, don't click anything else, just press ctrl + up / down.
- Does the notes move ?

I'm pretty sure this thread was about happy little details in reason, and I'm just showing a bug lol. I use the most boring keyboard in the world, no addons or another apps for shortcuts, it's odd.

I'm on Reason 12.5.3d5 (not the latest version of Reason) and Reason Beta 12.7.3d2 (not the latest version of the beta), Windows 10. I can confirm this same issue in both versions which I have found very annoying for a very long time.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

selig
RE Developer

05 Apr 2024

ProfessaKaos wrote:
05 Apr 2024
Noise wrote:
04 Apr 2024
- Does the notes move ?

I'm on Reason 12.5.3d5 (not the latest version of Reason) and Reason Beta 12.7.3d2 (not the latest version of the beta), Windows 10. I can confirm this same issue in both versions which I have found very annoying for a very long time.
Just to be sure I checked again, and it works here – always has to my memory. I'd consider submitting a bug report, could be a Windows thing possibly? (I'm on OSX)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

05 Apr 2024

I just thought of another thing I missed, this one on the Combinator 2. I always assumed you can't change the order of devices in the Programmer, and it's true you can't change the devices/targets order – BUT I was just recently informed you CAN change the order of the Panel Elements (by entering "Configure" mode in the Editor). It's a start... ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Mataya

05 Apr 2024

I like navigating the project screen up/down/left/right with a little grab hand tool usually with a scroll button click on the mouse, but it doesn't work in Reason, unless you go to right up corner where you can navigate like that. Just learned the other day you can have a grab hand tool and go up/down/right/left if your mouse is on the wooden divider between the racks. Probably most of you knew that and I wonder how old is this feature, but I didn't know and it's a juhuuu moment for me. Hope for someone else too.

tx
M

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2024

Mataya wrote:
05 Apr 2024
I like navigating the project screen up/down/left/right with a little grab hand tool usually with a scroll button click on the mouse, but it doesn't work in Reason, unless you go to right up corner where you can navigate like that. Just learned the other day you can have a grab hand tool and go up/down/right/left if your mouse is on the wooden divider between the racks. Probably most of you knew that and I wonder how old is this feature, but I didn't know and it's a juhuuu moment for me. Hope for someone else too.

tx
M
I use that and have done for a long long time which seams like forever and shift scroll (middle mouse scroll wheel) to move about left and right and scroll for up and down. More recently for my video's I configured the Middle Mouse Button as shift, so I can scroll left and right just using the mouse.

I have one thumb mouse button configured for Ctrl+z and the other for ALT which comes in handle when in edit mode in the Seq.

Mataya

05 Apr 2024

Oh my God...shift scroll!!! :geek:

To be honest, my day job is Nuendo and being able to navigate like that trough 150channels is such an important thing. I don't need it nearly in Reason as in Nuendo, but nice to have, especially if you're use to it from other DAW. Just finished a movie today and remembered how important it is in post, but when reason rack gets long and wide, you will work faster for sure.

Great tip with middle mouse assign. Thanks.

tx
M

selig
RE Developer

Yesterday

Latest discovery, don't know how I missed it before: In Complex-1 you can move cables out of your way by click/drag on the middle of the cable. Just like IRL, but without tie wraps…
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

Yesterday

selig wrote:
Yesterday
Latest discovery, don't know how I missed it before: In Complex-1 you can move cables out of your way by click/drag on the middle of the cable. Just like IRL, but without tie wraps…
I discoverd this quite early after release while "god damn cable get out of my way" situation and thrown it aways with click+drag and it worked :clap:

RS device can feel so real...sometimes...
Reason12, Win10

• Information