Selig Audio Live Stream Thursday Feb 8, 2024, 21:00 UTC

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
selig
RE Developer

08 Feb 2024

Selig Audio Live Stream Thursday Feb 8, 2024, 21:00 UTC
(4pm EST in the USA)

I'm back with a different format this time around. I'll be mixing a track by fellow Reason Talk member Fusion, trying to hit on the important aspects but allowing the process to guide me. This is something I've wanted to do for a while now, if just to break of the flow and provide a different perspective.
So join us for a fun romp in the world of mixing, hopefully we will all learn something!
Note that this time I'm streaming at 21:00 UTC this time around, one hour later than usual.

Join us at the usual place, say hi in the chat (hopefully I'll see you!):
https://www.youtube.com/live/1pplu9jIPIo?feature=share

Watch the recorded video here:
https://youtube.com/live/55KdUlKDnwc
Selig Audio, LLC

Bes
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2024

cool idea for a stream
- Certified Reason expert

crimsonwarlock

08 Feb 2024

Over the last few months, I've been watching several livestreams of pro engineers doing complete mixes from scratch. There's a lot to learn from looking at how those mixes are handled. I'll be watching your stream tonight, curious about how you approach certain things.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

08 Feb 2024

Going live in five, y'all - if you can't make the live stream I'll be posting the archive link shortly after finishing the stream. Come yell at me, make fun of me, or just hang out
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

08 Feb 2024

Link to current stream:

crimsonwarlock

08 Feb 2024

What hit me as strange was removing all the missing REs without checking what they were and/or why they were there. There's obviously stuff that is there pure for mixing purposes, but surely, there are things there for production value as well. Of course, working with a project file while many of the plugins are missing is problematic, but simply removing everything you don't have seems to be a bad idea to me.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Feb 2024
What hit me as strange was removing all the missing REs without checking what they were and/or why they were there. There's obviously stuff that is there pure for mixing purposes, but surely, there are things there for production value as well. Of course, working with a project file while many of the plugins are missing is problematic, but simply removing everything you don't have seems to be a bad idea to me.
For the record, I bypassed everything first, so removing them was only to get the "red lines" to go away in the sequencer in response to a specific question about them in the chat. Everything was already bypassed so it wouldn't have made a bit of difference leaving them or removing them fwiw.

Speaking general, it has worked quite well for me forever. I'm not mixing the mix, I'm mixing the tracks. I normally delete EVERYTHING, but would prefer (as I mentioned in the stream) to get audio files with zero mix processing. I'm not alone, as when I've delivered tracks to "big name" mixers that's exactly what they want as well.

Since I only had an hour and knew there would be no way to build a mix from scratch I decided to keep the FX (which I've never done before). If you noticed, ALL of the FX sends/returns were present in the rack so I didn't loose anything at all doing what I did. Again, just to be clear. I remove all channel/bus/master processing before starting because it takes me more time to figure out someone else's mix than to do my own from scratch.
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

09 Feb 2024

selig wrote:
09 Feb 2024
For the record, I bypassed everything first, so removing them was only to get the "red lines" to go away in the sequencer in response to a specific question about them in the chat.
I know, I was the one asking about the red lines :puf_wink:
selig wrote:
09 Feb 2024
Everything was already bypassed so it wouldn't have made a bit of difference leaving them or removing them fwiw.
I saw all the bypass buttons in the mixer active. But that is the same as removing FX, those FX are not doing anything anymore.
selig wrote:
09 Feb 2024
...but would prefer (as I mentioned in the stream) to get audio files with zero mix processing.
I agree wholeheartedly, and it is how I work myself most of the time. I'm doing production FX in a tracking project and then export all the tracks as audio that are imported into a mixing project. However, during mixing, production ideas tend to pop up, and production FX creep into the mixing stage. So that is why I would first make sure which FX are there for a reason before bypassing or removing them.

I've seen a lot of mixing sessions done by pro engineers (puremix, mix with the masters, etc.) and they almost always inventory what's on the tracks first when they get a project file. They also tend to make sure they have all the relevant plugins in the project, before they start mixing. In all these sessions there's a rather involved mixing preparation stage, or it is mentioned they have done all that prep before the live session.

Of course, all this is not the case when only getting audio tracks for import, obviously.
selig wrote:
09 Feb 2024
If you noticed, ALL of the FX sends/returns were present in the rack so I didn't loose anything at all doing what I did.
But you did lose certain FX that were on the inserts. The most obvious one being the transient designer (DCAM EnvShaper) that was on several tracks and clearly for a reason. Again, I'm totally with you that if you had gotten the audio-tracks (which would probably have that FX printed), that wouldn't be a problem at all. But if you accept to mix a project file (instead of audio tracks or stems), you should come prepared for that.
selig wrote:
09 Feb 2024
Again, just to be clear. I remove all channel/bus/master processing before starting because it takes me more time to figure out someone else's mix than to do my own from scratch.
Time was clearly your enemy here. Most mixing sessions I've watched are at least 2 hours, and even then, they don't get everything done right away. My suggestion would be to either do a longer live stream, or do much more prep upfront (and explain that during the stream). Right now, for me, this was not that interesting after all, and as I mentioned previously, I do like to watch mixing sessions to see what I can learn from them.

Still, looking forward to your next stream :thumbup:
-------

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Feb 2024
"stuff"
We all work differently - you may make different choices than I, viva la difference!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Bes
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2024

as usual i totally missed the stream i think i'll watch back today

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
09 Feb 2024
I reworked the mix over the past 24 hours - I definitely cannot mix on headphones (or simply lack the experience to do it well).
I just sent it to Mr. Cow and am waiting to hear back. If he will allow it I'll post it here too.
Live and learn…. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

09 Feb 2024

selig wrote:
09 Feb 2024
Bes wrote:
09 Feb 2024
I reworked the mix over the past 24 hours - I definitely cannot mix on headphones (or simply lack the experience to do it well).
I just sent it to Mr. Cow and am waiting to hear back. If he will allow it I'll post it here too.
Live and learn…. ;)
Didnt watched the stream until now, but wanted to check it later to get some mixing lessons. Is it still worth to watch, even if you changed the final mix now or did some "mistakes" to the old mix?
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

Loque wrote:
09 Feb 2024
selig wrote:
09 Feb 2024

Live and learn…. ;)
Didnt watched the stream until now, but wanted to check it later to get some mixing lessons. Is it still worth to watch, even if you changed the final mix now or did some "mistakes" to the old mix?
You can probably get "something" from it, try watching the first few minutes - oh wait, I forgot to switch to the Reason screen for a few minutes at the top so skip forward a little.
I'm thinking a follow up showing what I did to the mix once I got the time to relax and figure out where everything was. Maybe in the future I'll change up the format so it's more useful to folks, like me getting familiar with each individual track before jumping right in and making assumptions.

Some of the issues I had were finding out the kick was on a track with the rest of the drums, plus some additional layers of higher stuff. What I usually do if possible is drop in a new kick on its own to provide the 'punch' - may still try that after getting feedback on the current state of the mix. Stay tuned, and please offer feedback (everyone) as to what would make it more useful (I think I know most of the things to change, but never hurts to hear it again!).
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

09 Feb 2024

selig wrote:
09 Feb 2024
Loque wrote:
09 Feb 2024

You can probably get "something" from it, try watching the first few minutes - oh wait, I forgot to switch to the Reason screen for a few minutes at the top so skip forward a little.
I'm thinking a follow up showing what I did to the mix once I got the time to relax and figure out where everything was. Maybe in the future I'll change up the format so it's more useful to folks, like me getting familiar with each individual track before jumping right in and making assumptions.

Some of the issues I had were finding out the kick was on a track with the rest of the drums, plus some additional layers of higher stuff. What I usually do if possible is drop in a new kick on its own to provide the 'punch' - may still try that after getting feedback on the current state of the mix. Stay tuned, and please offer feedback (everyone) as to what would make it more useful (I think I know most of the things to change, but never hurts to hear it again!).
Ok, thanks. I will have a look...
Reason12, Win10

Bes
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2024

note for next time selig, i think your mic is too quiet against the track. but cool idea for a stream

crimsonwarlock

09 Feb 2024

selig wrote:
09 Feb 2024
Maybe in the future I'll change up the format so it's more useful to folks, like me getting familiar with each individual track before jumping right in and making assumptions.
:thumbup:
-------

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
09 Feb 2024
note for next time selig, i think your mic is too quiet against the track. but cool idea for a stream
Yea, I got to figure that out - it’s not that bad until I add the master compressor and mastering limiter, which takes the music up over the voice. So I would have to bring the music down but only when adding the mastering chain - Maybe a job for Selig Gain…
Selig Audio, LLC

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2024

just watched the recorded stream. Just stellar mixing Selig!
Definitely your management of channel Fx is something else, and the drums too.

I have to watch more often. All those automation on the main mixer, chops, bounces.
Awesome music engineering.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2024

Re8et wrote:
24 Feb 2024
just watched the recorded stream. Just stellar mixing Selig!
Definitely your management of channel Fx is something else, and the drums too.

I have to watch more often. All those automation on the main mixer, chops, bounces.
Awesome music engineering.
I thought it was good to see Seilg remove chunks of effects devices that were perhaps not needed. This live was more exciting to watch maybe because of the genre and it being someone else's track and what the approach would be.
In Live chat :
Afghan cow
​​is this still running through my master chain?
CrimsonWarlock
​​@Afghan cow He just removed your master chain altogether, I think

I found that so funny :lol: No disrespect to the good person, Afghan cow. :thumbup: It showed us Selig's experience to do that without fuss.

Looking forward to the next Live on this. Thanks a lot and great work

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2024

Man i totally missed this.

I mix stuff for 20 years now, but i really like and always learn stuff by seeing others doing it, so I'm sure I'll check it out!

I might do one of these myself one day, to show off my BCF2000x3 + BCR2000 modus operandi while mixing with reason! :)

Fusion

26 Feb 2024

Thanks again Selig for looking at this track.

Really not sure what I was going for with the Bass plugins as you were right , it does sound worse and made a good decision. Love your comment at 24mins about the Bass.

The reason the percussive elements were a mess was due to the missing Dcam Rack extensions, but we soon resolved that after the stream.

If anyone is interested to see how the mix is going , maybe Selig can post, as I do not mind.

Look forward to the next stream.

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2024

mcatalao wrote:
26 Feb 2024

I mix stuff for 20 years now, but i really like and always learn stuff by seeing others doing it, so I'm sure I'll check it out!

I might do one of these myself one day, to show off my BCF2000x3 + BCR2000 modus operandi while mixing with reason! :)
:thumbs_up: would watch

selig
RE Developer

26 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
26 Feb 2024
mcatalao wrote:
26 Feb 2024

:thumbs_up: would watch
I agree, seeing specific setups is informative and fun IMO!
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2024

As always, an insightful video from Selig.

Tbh, I think a lot of us here may be underestimating how much we can share.

I spent a couple of hours with a mix engineer last year who showed me how each step in his processing stacks added to the mix.

There were a few new tricks & techniques, but also a lot of methods that I've seen discussed over the last 20 years (but of course, applied expertly after careful analysis of the track).

I couldn't help but think of how easy it would be to automate some of his workflow with Combinator 2 (for example, I've made a HaaS panner with additional expression parameters with Combinator 1).

He said he picked all of it up bit by bit over the years.

Sometimes he'd have an intuition about how he could solve a problem, or better take control of the space, and then run some experiments.

With one of my tracks, along with a bunch of tone and ambient changes, he suggested adding a delay to my horns, and it completely changed the feel of the song. It made it feel slower and a little trippier (which was his intention).

No doubt, there's no mix-stack shopping list, or Combinators you can just Oprah Winfrey all over your tracks. It was more of a conviction to the craft that it reminded me of. A very necessary level of discipline, craft, engineering, and diligence.

selig
RE Developer

26 Feb 2024

avasopht wrote:
26 Feb 2024
As always, an insightful video from Selig.

Tbh, I think a lot of us here may be underestimating how much we can share.
I think this relates to your post…
I consider myself to be extremely lucky to have learned engineering directly from working engineers (while they were working!). I dropped out of Belmont after one semester, and learned more in my first week as assistant engineer than I did that entire semester.

But I was also "lucky" because as a drummer and synth nerd/player/programmer I was also doing plenty of sessions where I also got to watch many world class engineers work, so my exposure/learning didn't end when I started being the "1st" (as opposed to "2nd") engineer as it did for my engineer friends. Plus I was in a "studio city" (Nashville), where I was also hanging out with friends on their sessions, and "talking shop" on a regular basis. Amazing times all around!

Some folks, like myself, just learn better by observing and asking question and talking shop, and I'm still trying to find a way to re-create that same process online. The live stream is my latest attempt to just let folks watch what I'm doing (warts and all) and ask questions, just as I was able to do for the first 5-6 years of my studio career.

I'm still searching for better ways of sharing (passing down, really) what I've learned, and honoring those who took the time to share their talents with me when I was just getting started.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information