Andrew Scheps RearBus technique - A simple setup in Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
crimsonwarlock

26 Jan 2024

I discussed parallel processing before here on the forum, and it was mentioned by someone else that setting up the Rear Bus technique was not that easy. As I'm currently streamlining my mix-template, and this technique does nice things to my mix, I found a pretty simple way to set it up. First, for some context for those who don't know about the Rear Bus technique:

So basically, the whole mix, EXCEPT the drums, is being sent to the Rear Bus. And the compressor used on the Rear Bus must be dual-mono, to keep good stereo separation of the mix.

The quick and easy way to set this up, is to have your mix channels grouped into buses. Like a bus for all drums, a bus for vocals, etc. Typically, something you set up beforehand in a mixing template.

Going from here, you first add a new mix-channel that will be your Rear Bus. On this channel, you insert the compressor you are going to use for this. I use the Mace for this, as it is the only compressor RE (as far as I know) that is dual-mono capable. But also because it is a very versatile compressor, with loads of tweak-ability. You can also use a pair of any compressor, running each in mono. See the video above for the initial settings, but do experiment with the comp settings after setting all this up.

Finally, add a parallel channel to each group-bus, again EXCEPT the drum bus, and route these parallel channels to your new Rear Bus channel. I set the parallel channels at the same level as the buses they are linked to, but you can also experiment with these levels when everything is in action. Then, mix in the Rear Bus channel underneath the total mix.

Happy Rear Busing :puf_smile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

nebraskafire

05 Feb 2024

Thank you. I was reading about this and was thinking how to set it up in Reason. I will try it in my next mix.

crimsonwarlock

05 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Jan 2024
I use the Mace for this, as it is the only compressor RE (as far as I know) that is dual-mono capable.
A small addition to my post: I've found that Red Rock's C1-L1 compressor can also be set to dual mono. I have not yet tried it for this application, but an obvious option if you have it instead of the Mace. Of course, any VST-compressor that supports dual-mono can be used as well.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

jam-s

05 Feb 2024

Or you could use two instances of any other compressor and put one on the left and one on the right channel, right?
If needed one could also link up the controls of both via combinator for ease of use.

crimsonwarlock

05 Feb 2024

jam-s wrote:
05 Feb 2024
Or you could use two instances of any other compressor and put one on the left and one on the right channel, right?
Indeed, that's why I already mentioned that in the original post :puf_wink:
-------

• Information