CV destroys your audio?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
BRIGGS

25 Dec 2023

This could be a good thing though. Or, maybe I'm doing something completely wrong. :lol:

Skope shows lots of added harmonics.

If I wanted the 8bit sound, I'd just send my audio to cv, then back to audio again?

After all these years, I can't believe I haven't tried actually listening to cv signals.

What's the official bit rate and sample rate, for cv signals?

BTW, I'm using Thor to convert the audio to cv.
r11s

selig
RE Developer

25 Dec 2023

Sample rate is audio rate /64 (roughly 689 Hz when sample rate is 44.1kHz). This means the highest frequency you can represent is half that or around 345Hz.
The bit depth is 32 bit so you may be better off just using a bit rate reducer FX if that's what you're looking for.
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

25 Dec 2023

Kiloheartz bit crusher works well if you are into that. When I want to destroy a signal( and I do) I like to bring it out of the box and run it hot hot hot through an analog signal chain. I am not smart enough to know how to fix the latency when I bring it back in so I resample on the way back in. I run that hot too but I do not clip the whole signal.

BRIGGS

25 Dec 2023

selig wrote:
25 Dec 2023
Sample rate is audio rate /64 (roughly 689 Hz when sample rate is 44.1kHz). This means the highest frequency you can represent is half that or around 345Hz.
The bit depth is 32 bit so you may be better off just using a bit rate reducer FX if that's what you're looking for.
Thanks!

Yes, this all make sense, now! :thumbup:

My original idea, was to see if any of Thor's random LFOs or random step sequencer, would output white noise. This would free up an oscillator slot, as I was using the noise oscillator as a modulator. So, I ended up down a wabbit hole, trying a bunch of other stuff in the process.

Turns out, the noise oscillator, is still king. :lol:

Murf's noise RE gets and honorable mention here, too
r11s

BRIGGS

26 Dec 2023

mimidancer wrote:
25 Dec 2023
Kiloheartz bit crusher works well if you are into that. When I want to destroy a signal( and I do) I like to bring it out of the box and run it hot hot hot through an analog signal chain. I am not smart enough to know how to fix the latency when I bring it back in so I resample on the way back in. I run that hot too but I do not clip the whole signal.
My go-to for that, is decimort.

Kilohearts works, though, and is a great option.
r11s

crimsonwarlock

26 Dec 2023

Blamsoft's bitcrusher is also nice. And there is PCM2612 from Inphonic, which is still free, I think.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

mimidancer

02 Jan 2024

And if you want to bring it out of the box the T-Wrex bitcrush decimator is cool AF.

• Information