How to load old Reason5 Rewire saved presets in the new Reason 12 Rack version?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
NICVAS

23 Nov 2023

Hi, I would like to know if I can load presets of Reason 5 Rewire into Reason 12 as a Rack in Cubase DAW?
I'm moving old songs to Reason 12, and it looks impossible to load the presets I saved before, called Reason Song File with the extention ".rns"

huggermugger

23 Nov 2023

You can't load any Reason song file into the RRP, no matter how old or new the file is. The RRP is only the rack portion of Reason - no sequencer - so it can't load a Reason song.

BTW, an .rns file isn't a "preset", it's a song file.

NICVAS

23 Nov 2023

Thank you, what I used to do was to configure Reason 5 in ReWire, select instruments, effects, etc...and record notes in my DAW (Sonar).
So I want to open this configuration in Reason 12 in the rack. It seems impossible, so I started to rebuild each of them...
If I open Reason 12 as a Standalone, it works fine.

NoiseCrime

28 Nov 2023

Unsure if I'm surprised or not that Reason doesn't offer this ability.
While it may not be very beneficial to them, it would be nice to support their customers and offer QoL solutions.

While it appears you can't simply open the configuration, it does look like there is an avenue to simplify transferring the instruments over by placing either the whole track or individual tracks into combinators, saving the combinator patch, then opening that patch in the Rack.

I've not tried this myself, but probably worth a go as if it works it will save you a great deal of time and effort.

You can read more in this thread on the forum viewtopic.php?t=7517046.

Loque

28 Nov 2023

NoiseCrime wrote:
28 Nov 2023
Unsure if I'm surprised or not that Reason doesn't offer this ability.
While it may not be very beneficial to them, it would be nice to support their customers and offer QoL solutions.

While it appears you can't simply open the configuration, it does look like there is an avenue to simplify transferring the instruments over by placing either the whole track or individual tracks into combinators, saving the combinator patch, then opening that patch in the Rack.

I've not tried this myself, but probably worth a go as if it works it will save you a great deal of time and effort.

You can read more in this thread on the forum viewtopic.php?t=7517046.
There were several discussions on the past. One idea was, to have the song for as a fighter and drag parts of it into a new song. But in the end the complexity can be unexpected. Just imagine you have a side chain configuration for most instruments. In that case one rack device coul depend on all others...
Best what you can do is, to pick out the parts you want and extract them manually.
Reason12, Win10

• Information