Limitations limiting avalable sounds for making a song

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Ichooselife

22 Aug 2023

i’m gonna start limiting myself

to a sound bank collection or a few refills for every track

like choose 3 refills or two instruments

and a few effects and make a track from
that

is this beneficial ? who does this ?

am i mad ? thanksn

Jackjackdaw

22 Aug 2023

Not mad at all. Setting out boundaries is a great way to concentrate productivity.

WarStar

22 Aug 2023

I do this.. specifically synths.. not so much other things like efx but more so just instruments

chimp_spanner

06 Sep 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
22 Aug 2023
i’m gonna start limiting myself

to a sound bank collection or a few refills for every track

like choose 3 refills or two instruments

and a few effects and make a track from
that

is this beneficial ? who does this ?

am i mad ? thanksn
I do this sometimes. I like that it's possible in R12 now to filter out VSTs, or even REs. Just forcing yourself to work with what's in the box can be inspiring. Also packs can be good for that too. Write using only one or two, and see how you can make the included sounds work for you.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2023

Nah. I don’t bother. I just pick random stuff depending on what the last sound I recorded was. No rational or reason. Pang pang pang into the box.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

robussc

06 Sep 2023

I finally sat down and went through all the synths and built a personalized collection of favorite sounds organized into folders (labeled like Bass -> Europa - Sync Bass) so that I know which synth it goes with. Now I know I can go there and quickly find the perfect bass sound (or whatever) without reauditioning every preset over and over (or just sticking with the couple I know I like because I don't want to waste time auditioning sounds).

It's been a great investment (and actually a fun voyage of discovery as I had dedicated time to the job).

(this became especially important when I added the UVI and Arturia stuff to the mix - the number of possible preset choices was overwhelming)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

• Information