Combinator-ed Redrum MIDI question

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MirtazapineDream

23 Jul 2023

Sorry for the title, unsure how else to word it.

If the Redrum is not in a combinator and I create a MIDI clip in drum edit mode, the view is compact to the ten Redrum slots. When in a Combinator, the full MIDI range is shown in drum edit mode. Is there a setting I can alter to keep the MIDI notes available in drum edit collapsed/confined to the ten slots only?

selig
RE Developer

23 Jul 2023

There are three ‘view modes’ for any track. You change the view in Edit Mode with a fairly tiny button on the right side of the edit screen just below the zoom buttons. You will see three options: Key Edit, Drum Edit, and REX Edit. Despited what data is in the track the view can be freely changed on any track FIY!
Selig Audio, LLC

MirtazapineDream

23 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
23 Jul 2023
There are three ‘view modes’ for any track. You change the view in Edit Mode with a fairly tiny button on the right side of the edit screen just below the zoom buttons. You will see three options: Key Edit, Drum Edit, and REX Edit. Despited what data is in the track the view can be freely changed on any track FIY!
Thanks, I got to drum edit - the problems was that all 128 midi notes were shown when Redrum was inside a combinator. As opposed to when it is uncombined, the piano roll view only shows 10 notes Total. Can I only show the 10 notes when combinatorised (lol) instead of all of them?

selig
RE Developer

23 Jul 2023

MirtazapineDream wrote:
23 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
23 Jul 2023
Thanks, I got to drum edit - the problems was that all 128 midi notes were shown when Redrum was inside a combinator. As opposed to when it is uncombined, the piano roll view only shows 10 notes Total. Can I only show the 10 notes when combinatorised (lol) instead of all of them?
Yes. I explained it above. EVERY track can be switched to any of the three views. If the track is showing Notes 0-127 (aka, “KEY EDIT”), simply switch it to show Drum Edit. Make sense?
Selig Audio, LLC

MirtazapineDream

23 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
23 Jul 2023
MirtazapineDream wrote:
23 Jul 2023

Yes. I explained it above. EVERY track can be switched to any of the three views. If the track is showing Notes 0-127 (aka, “KEY EDIT”), simply switch it to show Drum Edit. Make sense?
I have that already. Sorry I might not be making sense. When in Drum Edit I'm seeing 128 note lanes, instead of 10 when the Redrum is not combined. Can I collapse to only the 10 note lanes somehow?

rgdaniel

23 Jul 2023

If the MIDI clip is on the sequencer lane for the REDRUM itself, in drum edit mode you will see the usual limited note range you expect, whether or not it's "combinatored" (combined). If the MIDI clip is on the sequencer lane for the COMBINATOR, in drum edit mode you will see all 128 notes, which makes sense because you might have other instruments in the combinator that need the full range.

selig
RE Developer

23 Jul 2023

MirtazapineDream wrote:
23 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
23 Jul 2023

I have that already. Sorry I might not be making sense. When in Drum Edit I'm seeing 128 note lanes, instead of 10 when the Redrum is not combined. Can I collapse to only the 10 note lanes somehow?
Ahh, I get it. I assumed you were still using the ReDrum lane even with the ReDrum in the Combinator. I re-read your original post and you worded it 100% correctly, I just mis-read it 100% inaccurately!

Not sure if this applies, but you can still use the ReDrum note lane for editing your ReDrum parts. Or are you doing something else with the Combinator that won’t allow this?
Selig Audio, LLC

MirtazapineDream

23 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
23 Jul 2023
MirtazapineDream wrote:
23 Jul 2023

Ahh, I get it. I assumed you were still using the ReDrum lane even with the ReDrum in the Combinator. I re-read your original post and you worded it 100% correctly, I just mis-read it 100% inaccurately!

Not sure if this applies, but you can still use the ReDrum note lane for editing your ReDrum parts. Or are you doing something else with the Combinator that won’t allow this?
No problem, typical written word Internet crossing of wires.

I can't see the Redrum lane after it had been combined (I knew that was the word, I just liked being silly before), just a combinator lane. I'm probably missing something simple but my brain can't grok it. I only want to combine it to have easily automatable controls to control the decay of the open and closed hats for some modulated Techno drums for example, saves on automation lanes. If it isn't straightforward, I'll just uncombine it.

rgdaniel

23 Jul 2023

MirtazapineDream wrote:
23 Jul 2023

I can't see the Redrum lane after it had been combined
If I click on a Redrum in my rack and combine it, its midi lane in the sequencer turns into a combinator midi lane.

To get the Redrum midi lane back, and also keep the combinator lane, I can right click the Redrum in the rack and choose "Create track for [patch name]". It appears down near the bottom of the right-click menu, for me.

selig
RE Developer

24 Jul 2023

rgdaniel wrote:
23 Jul 2023
MirtazapineDream wrote:
23 Jul 2023

I can't see the Redrum lane after it had been combined
If I click on a Redrum in my rack and combine it, its midi lane in the sequencer turns into a combinator midi lane.

To get the Redrum midi lane back, and also keep the combinator lane, I can right click the Redrum in the rack and choose "Create track for [patch name]". It appears down near the bottom of the right-click menu, for me.
If you Combine a ReDrum you create an additional sequencer track and move focus to that track. To get back to the ReDrum track either select it in the sequencer or select the ReDrum in the rack and use the pentagon shaped button to make it the active MIDI destination.

I don't see the original MIDI lane changing at all, I just see a NEW MIDI lane with the Combinator as MIDI focus – there should be no need to create a new ReDrum track, I just checked it to be sure!
Selig Audio, LLC

rgdaniel

24 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
24 Jul 2023
rgdaniel wrote:
23 Jul 2023

If you Combine a ReDrum you create an additional sequencer track and move focus to that track. To get back to the ReDrum track either select it in the sequencer or select the ReDrum in the rack and use the pentagon shaped button to make it the active MIDI destination.

I don't see the original MIDI lane changing at all, I just see a NEW MIDI lane with the Combinator as MIDI focus – there should be no need to create a new ReDrum track, I just checked it to be sure!
Not what I'm seeing.
In a new document (R12) I drag a Redrum into the rack. It creates a sequencer lane as usual. If I then right-click on the Redrum in the rack and select "Combine" the Redrum lane CHANGES to a Combinator lane. If you also want a Redrum lane now, you have to create it as I described.

OK I see what's happening. If I create some actual content for the redrum, draw a clip and put some midi notes in it, then when I combine it DOES create an additional lane for the combinator, preserving the redrum lane because it has stuff in it now. Interesting. Makes sense.

MirtazapineDream

24 Jul 2023

I meant to come back and update that clicking the pentagon in the upper left resolved the issue - many thanks, both.

selig
RE Developer

24 Jul 2023

rgdaniel wrote:
24 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
24 Jul 2023

Not what I'm seeing.
In a new document (R12) I drag a Redrum into the rack. It creates a sequencer lane as usual. If I then right-click on the Redrum in the rack and select "Combine" the Redrum lane CHANGES to a Combinator lane. If you also want a Redrum lane now, you have to create it as I described.

OK I see what's happening. If I create some actual content for the redrum, draw a clip and put some midi notes in it, then when I combine it DOES create an additional lane for the combinator, preserving the redrum lane because it has stuff in it now. Interesting. Makes sense.
I can also confirm now that I'm seeing what you saw: if you create ReDrum and immediately Combine it, the lane changes. I must have had something already in the note lane when I did it - good catch!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information