Dance Track Feedback Please

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

20 Jul 2023

Hi All!

Calling all dance music producers.

2 years ago, I put together a good dance / electronic version of an Oasis track but want feedback. Something needs to happen to make the chorus stand out more. Maybe some strings? also might stereo widen it more and raise the volume very slightly. Maybe strip back the drums more on the verses then add more to it on the chorus? I am also I think, gonna take the backing vocals out the verses.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

robussc

20 Jul 2023

I'm no dance producer but well it's very short :) To my ears there's not much of a story going on, meaning no drama. All the instruments appear to play through from start to finish meaning there's no variety. The vocal seems pretty far back in the mix (though that might be intentional?).

Nothing exciting my ears at the high end either. No drum fills or risers to help with anticipation? I dunno, the list could go on :) But don't get me wrong you've got a very solid skeleton to work from.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Jagwah

21 Jul 2023

Creativemind wrote:
20 Jul 2023
Hi All!

2 years ago, I put together a good dance / electronic version of an Oasis track but want feedback. Something needs to happen to make the chorus stand out more. Maybe some strings? also might stereo widen it more and raise the volume very slightly. Maybe strip back the drums more on the verses then add more to it on the chorus? I am also I think, gonna take the backing vocals out the verses.

Thanks!
Really nice track, feels like it could stand up on its own for sure. The drums feel like they need fills or some variation as they stand out when they don't change. Vocals work really well. Stereo feels fine but I'm no expert. I agree it feels like it needs something, a breakdown section and a lead or string or something quite big that adds to it. Benedict is really good at calling these things if you reach out. Nice tune look forward to hearing what you do with it :thumbup:

Creativemind

21 Jul 2023

robussc wrote:
20 Jul 2023
I'm no dance producer but well it's very short :) To my ears there's not much of a story going on, meaning no drama. All the instruments appear to play through from start to finish meaning there's no variety. The vocal seems pretty far back in the mix (though that might be intentional?).

Nothing exciting my ears at the high end either. No drum fills or risers to help with anticipation? I dunno, the list could go on :) But don't get me wrong you've got a very solid skeleton to work from.
Thanks for the feeback. Risers are subjective, depends on the genre. Not sure they'd work in this. It's supposed to be house, more akin to old skool house early 90's.
Last edited by Creativemind on 21 Jul 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

21 Jul 2023

Jagwah wrote:
21 Jul 2023
Creativemind wrote:
20 Jul 2023
Hi All!

Thanks!
Really nice track, feels like it could stand up on its own for sure. The drums feel like they need fills or some variation as they stand out when they don't change. Vocals work really well. Stereo feels fine but I'm no expert. I agree it feels like it needs something, a breakdown section and a lead or string or something quite big that adds to it. Benedict is really good at calling these things if you reach out. Nice tune look forward to hearing what you do with it :thumbup:
Cheers Jagwah!

A breakdown, perhaps, it is a dance cover of an Oasis track so the structure is based on that obviously but maybe worth considering. Maybe some intro too, some repeated reversed mangled line from the song maybe?

Jagwah

22 Jul 2023

Creativemind wrote:
21 Jul 2023
A breakdown, perhaps, it is a dance cover of an Oasis track so the structure is based on that obviously but maybe worth considering. Maybe some intro too, some repeated reversed mangled line from the song maybe?
You do seem to have all the elements working together, an intro or breakdown could be as simple as having less of the elements for a time with maybe a new one (I know adding something can be hard some times). Yeah maybe more of a beginning, middle and end would help flesh it out. :thumbup:

• Information