Pitch Analysis Correction

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
GRC

19 Jul 2023

Hey there,

I'm using Reason as a hack to transpose some audio recordings into sheet music. Initially, I thought I could transpose everything to MIDI to get the notes automatically but for some of the recordings, the pitch analysis algorithm had some problems recognizing the correct pitch. These are instruments playing in a high pitch, like recordings of a flute or a violin playing in the high register.

Is there a way to ask the program to re-analyze the recordings to get the correct pitch?
Captura de ecrã 2023-07-19, às 18.12.46.png
Captura de ecrã 2023-07-19, às 18.12.46.png (116.1 KiB) Viewed 387 times

robussc

19 Jul 2023

Reanalyzing will just give the same result unfortunately. I believe the pitch detection has been designed to work with vocals exclusively so throwing stuff like this is probably a challenge for it as you’re finding.

Melodyne is probably a better fit (though an expensive option…)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

crimsonwarlock

19 Jul 2023

How about pitching the audio down an octave before analysis. Pitching the resulting MIDI back up an octave is easy :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

GRC

19 Jul 2023

Thanks for the responses!

I tried transposing the audio an octave down in Audacity before importing it to Reason, and it's giving me better results! :thumbup:

Have a good evening guys :reason:

crimsonwarlock

20 Jul 2023

GRC wrote:
19 Jul 2023

I tried transposing the audio an octave down in Audacity before importing it to Reason, and it's giving me better results! :thumbup:

Good to hear that helps. Remember you can transpose audio directly in Reason as well :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

GRC

23 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
20 Jul 2023
GRC wrote:
19 Jul 2023

Good to hear that helps. Remember you can transpose audio directly in Reason as well :puf_wink:
Hey man! I'm back at it tonight transposing a few more recordings so I thought I check back on this forum to see if there would be any other responses. Thanks again for your input and for the help.

About changing the pitch in Reason, I did try to pitch it down in the Sequencer using the "Transpose" function, but it didn't make as much of a difference for the pitch analysis, compared to changing both the pitch and speed in Audacity and then importing the audio file to the project in Reason.

I can imagine there would be a way of achieving the same result just in Reason but I don't know how to do it. Changing the pitch and then doing the option+drag to double the size it's not quite the same thing because it's stretching the recording in a different way, no? From the techniques I know, Audacity is more akin to just lowering the playback speed on a record player, which is what I'm looking for.

I have to say one thing I am a bit disappointed in the program, which is that sometimes I like to build tracks around multiple samples from multiple sources, and there is some rigidity in the way that it assigns tempos to samples.. It would be really cool if different tracks in the same project could be read at different tempos and time signatures, as opposed to everything having to be at one master BPM and time signature of 4/4 120 or whatever one I choose. The sort of thing so far you can only do with sheet music, but it would be cool to have a precise way to do it "in-grid" for multiple audio tracks where I could edit a track at 120 4/4 because it is what makes sense for that sample, then have another one at 157 bpm 3/4 or any other combination and then be able to play with them all at the same time.

I guess maybe there are some patches in Max to do that kind of crazy sampling but I never came across it .. I think there could be some cool music being made from this technique!

Just taking the time to procrastinate a bit here on the forum... Reason 4ever! Music is amazing! Have a good week :D

selig
RE Developer

24 Jul 2023

GRC wrote:
23 Jul 2023
I can imagine there would be a way of achieving the same result just in Reason but I don't know how to do it. Changing the pitch and then doing the option+drag to double the size it's not quite the same thing because it's stretching the recording in a different way, no? From the techniques I know, Audacity is more akin to just lowering the playback speed on a record player, which is what I'm looking for.
Exactly the same thing, the advantage in other apps is you can more quickly do half-speed and double-speed effects AND also any tape speed in-between (VSO effect).
GRC wrote:
23 Jul 2023
I have to say one thing I am a bit disappointed in the program, which is that sometimes I like to build tracks around multiple samples from multiple sources, and there is some rigidity in the way that it assigns tempos to samples.. It would be really cool if different tracks in the same project could be read at different tempos and time signatures, as opposed to everything having to be at one master BPM and time signature of 4/4 120 or whatever one I choose. The sort of thing so far you can only do with sheet music, but it would be cool to have a precise way to do it "in-grid" for multiple audio tracks where I could edit a track at 120 4/4 because it is what makes sense for that sample, then have another one at 157 bpm 3/4 or any other combination and then be able to play with them all at the same time.

I guess maybe there are some patches in Max to do that kind of crazy sampling but I never came across it .. I think there could be some cool music being made from this technique!

Just taking the time to procrastinate a bit here on the forum... Reason 4ever! Music is amazing! Have a good week :D
IF there is a tempo embedded in the .wav file data, you can just as easily ignore it by using "Disable Stretch" on all clips. Unless you're doing more random/noise/chaos music, there will be some sort of a common tempo base and grid (even with complex polyrhythmic music). Having several tempos running simultaneously is an edge case for sure, so I would not expect most DAWs to support this!

Do you have examples of multiple unrelated tempos playing at the same time? I can't imagine it working in my head… :)
Or am I misunderstanding what you're asking for?
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information