Remote Island

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Catblack

14 Jul 2023

Many years ago I got into the Remote protocol to code my idea for an RGB controller using a first generation Launchpad Pro which is the one with veloctiy sensitivity and also direct rgb control over the lights. I also got into hacking a bunch of other controllers that were interesting to me at the time. Things with touchstrip faders, like the Vmeter. So I dug into the manual and eventually had a lot of help from user Raveshaper who pushed me to optimize my lua code. I've given the launchpad codec out to a few people over the years, and I'm very proud of how fast it can build and send sysex strings. It can even take a control surface configuration string from a trackname in Reason and use that, so I can have different scale or transposition on the grid for each track. I've learned several other tricks along the way.

Recently watching one of Carly's latest videos I decided to make my repo public. Years ago I'd started a codec example file to help one along in conjunction with the Remote SDK manual. I've included some code for the trackname trick as well as some handy functions for displaying errors and some code for keeping track of an item's index number by a reference name.

At one point I'd wanted to do a whole series of articles about Remote and what you could do, but I've never had enough time. So I'm just starting this thread and sharing my example file. There's some expainations in there of various things, it's meant to be a good starter when you dig into Lua.

https://github.com/KittenVillage/Kitten ... _codec.lua

Hope this lands with someone who needs it. The Remote SDK manual is brutally precise, so I've tried to clarify some things that aren't obvious, and make some long comment lines so you can scroll to each callback function a little easier. I will probably drop into this thread with more Lua tips as they come to me.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

• Information