Song writing series crash course

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jagwah

10 Jul 2023

Our friend Benedict is making a songwriting series with the intention of it being a crash course (short and sweet). It's a great opportunity for a refresher for those more experienced or for one to briefly learn all the elements of music production. I wish I had this kind of direction many years ago! Benedict is a great teacher and he uses Reason in the lessons too. Hope to see some of you there!!

Quarmat
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2023

Cool stuff, I will surely watch them, Ty for sharing!

Popey
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2023

Thanks for sharing I will be watching these.

Do not see benedict posting on here very often but always remember him as he was the first person to give me constructive feedback first time I wrote a song.

DaveyG

10 Jul 2023

Popey wrote:
10 Jul 2023
Do not see benedict posting on here very often
He took the huff about 18 months ago in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=591652#p591652

I'm always torn on his videos. There is usually some good content but his presentation style drives me nuts. It's a bit slow-paced and sometimes more than a little lecturing.

challism

10 Jul 2023

Quarmat wrote:
10 Jul 2023
Cool stuff, I will surely watch them, Ty for sharing!
Haven't you won enough song competitions? ;)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jagwah

10 Jul 2023

DaveyG wrote:
10 Jul 2023
He took the huff about 18 months ago in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=591652#p591652

I'm always torn on his videos. There is usually some good content but his presentation style drives me nuts. It's a bit slow-paced and sometimes more than a little lecturing.
I'm not so sure he left over the one thread you mention, if you reach out to him or message on his video I'm sure he will discuss it with you in private.

I can see how you might find his style 'lecture like' on occasion. The thing is he really knows what he is talking about. I have listened to him intently for years and I'm pretty sure I've never found anything to be wrong or disagreeable. He also helped me become a real musician and took my music to a completely different level and still now he works with me and I am very grateful for it. If anyone gets the chance to work one on one with him even a little I'm sure they will benefit greatly from it, he is very good at finding the point musicians are at in their journey, and knowing what they need to develop and work on from that point to reach their goals. :thumbs_up:

Jagwah

10 Jul 2023

Glad to see some interest, I am excited about this series!!

I will be following along on Youtube and I will be on the Facebook chat group too, hope to see some of you there!! :puf_bigsmile:

Quarmat
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2023

challism wrote:
10 Jul 2023
Haven't you won enough song competitions? ;)
Truly, the path of music composition knows no bounds, and the pursuit of mastery is an eternal dance. Each victory is but a gentle breeze, the greatest benefit of which is to push us further into the open sea of learning and humility.

the things I have yet to learn are more numerous than microtones in 5 octaves

Jagwah

11 Jul 2023

The next video is up!! They should come in approximately once a week, get on board!! : D

DaveyG

11 Jul 2023

Benedict should consider coming back on here and plugging his series himself. He'd probably get more response.

Jagwah

11 Jul 2023

DaveyG wrote:
11 Jul 2023
Benedict should consider coming back on here and plugging his series himself. He'd probably get more response.
He doesn't need to be here and that is not what this thread is about, besides, he is doing very well for himself and probably doesn't have the time. :puf_bigsmile:

integerpoet

11 Jul 2023

Jagwah wrote:
10 Jul 2023
The thing is (Benedict) really knows what he is talking about. I have listened to him intently for years and I'm pretty sure I've never found anything to be wrong or disagreeable. He also helped me become a real musician and took my music to a completely different level and still now he works with me and I am very grateful for it. If anyone gets the chance to work one on one with him even a little I'm sure they will benefit greatly from it, he is very good at finding the point musicians are at in their journey, and knowing what they need to develop and work on from that point to reach their goals. :thumbs_up:
He once said some nice things about one of my tracks and therefore he can do no wrong. :-)

Popey
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2023

I suppose each to their own if they like this or not. Personally I find them a good watch.

Jagwah

11 Jul 2023

zumBeispiel wrote:
11 Jul 2023
Episode 01: The Octave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS3PaCWUu7c
Thanks I should have posted this here!!

Popey wrote:
11 Jul 2023
I suppose each to their own if they like this or not. Personally I find them a good watch.
Me too!! :)
integerpoet wrote:
11 Jul 2023
He once said some nice things about one of my tracks and therefore he can do no wrong. :-)
:lol: :lol:

Jagwah

16 Jul 2023

Just finished the chords video, really motivated to get to work with a much better understanding of things. Benedict has compressed the information very well. Would recommend anyone on this forum dive into this series.

Jagwah

17 Jul 2023

The next video is up!! I will be doing my homework then getting to this in a few days! : D

Jagwah

22 Jul 2023

I am still enjoying the skills taught in the chords video, the idea of making a chord progression, smoothing it out using voicing (inversions etc), then using instruments to play around or on their designated notes from each chord, then adding the original chord progression as something like a pad is very powerful. I wasn't writing this way before but I sure will now.

Jagwah

25 Jul 2023

OK the next video is up! I am really thriving off of this series and will visit it again in the future for a refresh. I hope others are taking advantage of this very well compacted series, onwards and upwards to those willing to do the work!! :thumbup:

Jagwah

01 Aug 2023

Here is the fifth video in the series, anyone following along is likely excited about the content like I am : D Also it is not too late to start the series now, join in and come join our chat group too, see you there!!

Jagwah

08 Aug 2023

Episode six is up and for good reason drums and rhythm are saved for almost last. This series walks a very logical path, some valuable keys are unlocked for you as they certainly have been for me. What can I say, Benedict has been teaching all of this for a long time, and finally here he has managed to condense it all so we can digest it easily if we just want to put in some effort. I can attest my music has already come a long way because of it. As always, reach out to Benedict with any questions etc as he is quite receptive. High five to anyone following along!!

Jagwah

16 Aug 2023

OK the last video in the series is up!
Congrats to anyone working through it, I am certain it will benefit you in multiple ways.
It has completely changed the way I do things production wise, and for the better.
I will reference this series when I share work going forward as it is responsible for many good things I do.
Can't say enough good things about it, it's there for you too if you want it!

:)

• Information