Precise LFO speed automation?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MirtazapineDream

09 Jul 2023

Hello,

If I use a synth and want to change the LFO speed over the course of a phrase - how can I precisely automate the following:

- LFO speed:
- LFO phase reset?

I'd like to play a sustained note but automate fairly precise LFO speeds for some timbral variance, on filter cutoff for example? Can I reset LFO phase as well? I'm thinking something like a combinator dial mapped so that the lowest point and highest point are set to the slowest and fastest speeds I would like to set, rather than the full range available. How can I precisely change speeds without the longer method of trial and error?

Would I be better off just making automation clips for this instead? Or should I (can I) have several instances of a synth put in a combinator and then set each one to only respond to a set key zone in MIDI, with each having it's own LFO speeds?

In my old DAW, Renoise, effect commands made this trivial and its the ONLY thing left that I miss from Renoise.

Thanks in advance.

Jackjackdaw

09 Jul 2023

You could use a pulsar connected to your synth and have an automation track for it or add another pulsar or envelope generator to the first pulsar to adjust the speed over time. Possibilities are endless for something like this.

huggermugger

09 Jul 2023

Easily done in a Combinator in the way you mentioned. In this example, CONTROL 1 sweeps the LFO1 RATE of Pulsar, from 0.21 Hz to 3.95 Hz (TEMPO SYNC is OFF). You can also have TEMPO SYNC turned on if you like, but the rate changes will jump from one beat subdivision to the next, rather than being smooth.

And a simple keyboard trigger will reset the LFO, thanks to the ENV SYNC option on Pulsar.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 12.16.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 12.16.56 PM.png (822.56 KiB) Viewed 238 times

MirtazapineDream

09 Jul 2023

huggermugger wrote:
09 Jul 2023
Easily done in a Combinator in the way you mentioned. In this example, CONTROL 1 sweeps the LFO1 RATE of Pulsar, from 0.21 Hz to 3.95 Hz (TEMPO SYNC is OFF). You can also have TEMPO SYNC turned on if you like, but the rate changes will jump from one beat subdivision to the next, rather than being smooth.

And a simple keyboard trigger will reset the LFO, thanks to the ENV SYNC option on Pulsar.
Ah the env sync control, that makes sense - I will absolutely get something built around this, thanks!

• Information