Newbie question

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MirtazapineDream

05 Jul 2023

Recently bought Reason 12 on sale, I really enjoy using it compared to the DAW which I was using prior. I'm navigating the DAW quite well IMO but had a couple of general questions I can't seem to find an answer for. For now I want to be able to create a drum machine and route it's outputs to individual mix channels per voice/sample - I can do that easily enough by right clicking outputs and creating mix channels. I like to work this way so that I can use the SSL filters per voice to cut away unnecessary frequencies, Group kicks/toms or snares/claps/perc and hats etc. then apply Group FX etc. etc.

I could set all this up as a template project and indeed, that works for recall, but is there a way to save this as a recallable "thing" - similar to a combinator to drop into a project as needed? If I use a combinator I could use a Utility mixer but that doesn't have the SSL stuff. Just a thought, if it means setting this up on a base template then so be it.

Thanks in advance.

huggermugger

05 Jul 2023

Setting it up as a Combinator patch is the only way to make it recallable from another project. So you're right, the only other option is to make it part of your default song. You can always delete or modify it from there if the project requires.

crimsonwarlock

05 Jul 2023

Unfortunately (so far) SSL mixer channels can not be part of a combinator.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

deeplink
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2023

If having anything pre-wired directly into its own SSL Mix Channel is a non-negotiable, then saving as a template is the only way to go.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

selig
RE Developer

05 Jul 2023

I like working this way too, especially since I got my engineering start on the SSL and still rely on it today.
This is currently a weak spot in the Reason world IMO, but there are some workarounds. If you use ReDrum you can create a custom song template that is either loadable as a “Template” or is loaded when you create “New Song” (startup song). But for Kong this doesn’t work because the routing to individual outputs is saved with each patch - loading a new patch means re-routing all drums to the separate outputs.

Going back to ReDrum, for stuff like this I use a saved template but only use it as a source to copy/paste all the channels into my current song. I also use this approach for tracking live drums so I don’t have to create all of those audio tracks each time. Simply open the template and select the tracks/devices and copy/paste into your current song. This template can have loads more than just drum tracks since you’re only using it as a source for copy/paste rather than using it directly when starting a song. This also allows you to start a song and then later decide you want to add these channels to the project, and keeps you from having to load up a bunch of stuff you may not use each time you create a new song (I prefer starting new songs with basically no plugins/FX etc.).

The thing that’s lacking currently for this workflow IMO is a way to save/load mixer channels or groups of mixer channels, as the only way to currently save/load groups of “anything” in Reason (besides a full song project) is via a Combinator. Other DAWs allow importing data from other songs so you can do stuff like mix one song and then use the mixer settings as a starting point for the next song (as one would do back in the analog console days). This would allow importing partial channels like loading a mixer channel with all your vocal settings/plugins but without any audio/data on that track. But now I’m just dreaming since there is little demand for features like this as far as I’ve seen, and none of this helps address your issue…in any event I hope this helps and I’m sure others will chime in with more suggestions! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

05 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2023
But for Kong this doesn’t work because the routing to individual outputs is saved with each patch - loading a new patch means re-routing all drums to the separate outputs.
At least you can have the mixer connections set up in advance, with possibly some preferred FX already in place. Going through the sixteen pads to set the outputs is a minor inconvenience.
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2023
This would allow importing partial channels like loading a mixer channel with all your vocal settings/plugins but without any audio/data on that track.
I use a mixing template that's close to this setup. I have predefined audio tracks, buses, and parallel tracks for most instruments, vocals, etc., all with specific FX loaded and preset to useful starting settings. I just drag the audio files into the predefined tracks to start mixing.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

MirtazapineDream

05 Jul 2023

Thanks everybody, I will go with the setting up a template option - its not a big deal, would have been a handy thing to drag and drop but it's far from a deal breaker. After using Renoise, the massive SSL Mixer is pure luxury - as is being able to quickly parellelise tracks etc.

Thanks again all!

PhillipOrdonez

05 Jul 2023

Selig, what a great idea! Save a project with each device already hooked up, then copy and paste into the project you're working on. Until they allow to access other projects from within a project, this is the best solution. This is going to save me so much time!

mimidancer

07 Jul 2023

MirtazapineDream wrote:
05 Jul 2023
Recently bought Reason 12 on sale, I really enjoy using it compared to the DAW which I was using prior. I'm navigating the DAW quite well IMO but had a couple of general questions I can't seem to find an answer for. For now I want to be able to create a drum machine and route it's outputs to individual mix channels per voice/sample - I can do that easily enough by right clicking outputs and creating mix channels. I like to work this way so that I can use the SSL filters per voice to cut away unnecessary frequencies, Group kicks/toms or snares/claps/perc and hats etc. then apply Group FX etc. etc.

I could set all this up as a template project and indeed, that works for recall, but is there a way to save this as a recallable "thing" - similar to a combinator to drop into a project as needed? If I use a combinator I could use a Utility mixer but that doesn't have the SSL stuff. Just a thought, if it means setting this up on a base template then so be it.

Thanks in advance.
You can do this in a combinator but not with the SSL mixer. The good news is everything on the SSL mixer can me loaded into the combinator as a rack device. If you need help you can DM me here or on Twitter. Reason is what you make it. I hope you make it great.

challism

07 Jul 2023

I think Selig's answer is the best solution. Just save the setup as a REASON file, then open it and copy/paste into any project you want it. Thankfully Reason allows us to open up multiple instances and also copy/pasting device between the instances.
copy.png
copy.png (240.39 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2023
But for Kong this doesn’t work because the routing to individual outputs is saved with each patch - loading a new patch means re-routing all drums to the separate outputs.
At least you can have the mixer connections set up in advance, with possibly some preferred FX already in place. Going through the sixteen pads to set the outputs is a minor inconvenience.

I wrote some codec\mappings files to do this automatically, somewhere there is a video about it (or maybe just written instructions as it was very easy to setup), just can't see where, basically, I can change a Kong patch and one click on a button (combinator button) it reroutes all 16 pads, pans and sends on Kong.

selig
RE Developer

08 Jul 2023

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
08 Jul 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Jul 2023

I wrote some codec\mappings files to do this automatically, somewhere there is a video about it (or maybe just written instructions as it was very easy to setup), just can't see where, basically, I can change a Kong patch and one click on a button (combinator button) it reroutes all 16 pads, pans and sends on Kong.
Wow, that’s pretty cool but I REALLY just want outputs like ReDrum for Kong (in addition to the assignable outputs for backwards compatibility). But I also realize that’s not likely ever going to happen…
Selig Audio, LLC

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
08 Jul 2023
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
08 Jul 2023

Wow, that’s pretty cool but I REALLY just want outputs like ReDrum for Kong (in addition to the assignable outputs for backwards compatibility). But I also realize that’s not likely ever going to happen…
Totally get what you want and totally agree..

For anyone else who might be interested.
Have found some written instructions and the files, in my dropbox there is a file called "Kong Config PB.zip" which also has the readme.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/q97o95o9 ... 3fwcz&dl=0

Basically, you setup a loopback, Control Surface, lock the control surface to your Kong (which you still have to wire up the ports on the back only once) and click a button (on and off) on the supplied combinator. The combinator then sends the remote commands to the Kong to set the Output's, Pan's and Bus FX Send's

MirtazapineDream

09 Jul 2023

I ended up using Mimic wired into 8 mix channels in the end, I'm enjoying that there are a lot of per sample controls when using multi-slot mode.

• Information