Objekt - Q/A about it's external in

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Heigen5

14 Jun 2023

objekt1.jpg
objekt1.jpg (914.53 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Hey, Objekt has been out for a bit over a month now and I have been trying it out and even created some patches with it.

I am currently learning stuff related to it's 'external in'. Right now I've been able to hear an external source via it but...
it seems that one needs to put the objekt into a mono mode, to hear the source instrument. I also needed to turn a volume up for the Exciter in the mixer (marked with the red in the picture).

I made this thread to discuss and study it's external in.

So as I hear the external sound already now, I must wonder that what parts of the Objekt work for the external in?
I can hear the effect section but I don't hear any other sections when tweaking. So lets study out that what can be done and what not, when using it's external in.

My own question is: What parts of objekt work for the external in?

If people know some micro-tutorials or can make a demo-template to showcase Objekt then feel free to do so.

Loque

14 Jun 2023

Objekt does not work in polyphonic mode with external input.

Mono = always on, and everything external goes into the Modal/Object1/Object2
Legato Modes = Same as Mono, but you need to trigger Objekt with a key

Regarding the Exciter volume: The External Input works as an exciter for the engines. You will hear it pure, if you turn the Volume of the Exciter up and turn down the Level of the other Exciters. You need to turn on a Engine to hear results from Objekt excited by your external Audio Input.

Personally i did not had good results with volume-equal sounds, except for pads and stuff. If you use the External Audio with more or less short burst, f.e. a drumloop, it can be interesting. Or just trigger Objekt with External Audio by tapping the microphone.

There is also a way to use it as a static resonator, which can come handy with synth or guitar sounds. I recomend to watch the live stream video for quite a lot of good tips, including using Objekt as a reverb.
Reason12, Win10

Heigen5

14 Jun 2023

Loque wrote:
14 Jun 2023
Objekt does not work in polyphonic mode with external input.

Mono = always on, and everything external goes into the Modal/Object1/Object2
Legato Modes = Same as Mono, but you need to trigger Objekt with a key

Regarding the Exciter volume: The External Input works as an exciter for the engines. You will hear it pure, if you turn the Volume of the Exciter up and turn down the Level of the other Exciters. You need to turn on a Engine to hear results from Objekt excited by your external Audio Input.

Personally i did not had good results with volume-equal sounds, except for pads and stuff. If you use the External Audio with more or less short burst, f.e. a drumloop, it can be interesting. Or just trigger Objekt with External Audio by tapping the microphone.

There is also a way to use it as a static resonator, which can come handy with synth or guitar sounds. I recomend to watch the live stream video for quite a lot of good tips, including using Objekt as a reverb.
Ok thanks for your input. A question: how to turn off the actual modal/object1/object2 oscillators, so we wouldn't hear these, but just the ext. in into the modal/object1/object2?
Or is it a must that we'd need to always hear the oscillators too?

Loque

14 Jun 2023

Heigen5 wrote:
14 Jun 2023

Ok thanks for your input. A question: how to turn off the actual modal/object1/object2 oscillators, so we wouldn't hear these, but just the ext. in into the modal/object1/object2?
Or is it a must that we'd need to always hear the oscillators too?
I dont understand. If you turn the engines off, you cannot hear their effect. So, if you want to hear only the External Audio Input, than turn down all other Exciters, turn off the Engines and increase the Volume of the Exciter in the Mixer.

But if you mean, that you want to send them through each other, turn the Exciter input of the engine to the left engine, e.g. turn in Object1 the Exciter to Modal full right to get only Modal input and turn down the Volume in the Mixer. The Modal as always the Exciter as input, so there is no mix rotary.
Reason12, Win10

Heigen5

14 Jun 2023

objekt2.jpg
objekt2.jpg (879.45 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
I'd like to know that what is so special about ext. in if you can't even manipulate the source over the Impact Exiter and other sound manipulating places like in the pic.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2023

Heigen5 wrote:
14 Jun 2023
objekt2.jpg

I'd like to know that what is so special about ext. in if you can't even manipulate the source over the Impact Exiter and other sound manipulating places like in the pic.
IMO because you can manipulate the external sound in FAR more ways than the internal exciter/noise modules. Listen to just the exciter section and you'll see how basic it is.
And also, looks like you circled two DIFFERENT sections, the exciter (in yellow), and the controls for Objekt 1 in the center bottom section. If you use Objekt 1 and an external exciter signal, these controls 100% affect the sound generated by the external exciter signal. Hope that makes sense.
Selig Audio, LLC

dandante

19 Aug 2023

Hello,

I have further questions about this. I'm new to Reason and Objekt so please bear with me.

My goal just for learning's sake is to be able to excite Objekt with microphone input, without hearing the dry mic input.
I'm able to do the first part (I have a djembe preset in Objekt and when I touch the mic I hear the djembe), but I can't seem to get rid of the dry mic sound (so I also hear myself talking, mouse clicks, etc).

I'm using Ableton Live as my DAW.

I've tried a number of things with no luck.

I guess the challenge for me is to get the exciter sound into Objekt without hearing it anywhere else.

I have an audio track that gets input from my mic, and I have Reason on a MIDI track, and I'm sending the output of the audio track to the midi track.
I also tried routing the output to the sidechain of the midi track and making the corresponding patching changes in Reason, but got the same result.

On the audio track, it seems like the following things have to be true or no sound gets to the midi track:

* track is armed for recording
* monitoring is set to On or Auto
* track is not muted

Even if I solo the midi track, I still hear the dry mic sound.

In Reason, I have Audio Output 1 & 2 from the host patched to the External In of Objekt. Key Mode is Mono and Exciter and Engine levels are turned up.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Aug 2023

dandante wrote:
19 Aug 2023
Hello,

I have further questions about this. I'm new to Reason and Objekt so please bear with me.

My goal just for learning's sake is to be able to excite Objekt with microphone input, without hearing the dry mic input.
I'm able to do the first part (I have a djembe preset in Objekt and when I touch the mic I hear the djembe), but I can't seem to get rid of the dry mic sound (so I also hear myself talking, mouse clicks, etc).

I'm using Ableton Live as my DAW.

I've tried a number of things with no luck.

I guess the challenge for me is to get the exciter sound into Objekt without hearing it anywhere else.

I have an audio track that gets input from my mic, and I have Reason on a MIDI track, and I'm sending the output of the audio track to the midi track.
I also tried routing the output to the sidechain of the midi track and making the corresponding patching changes in Reason, but got the same result.

On the audio track, it seems like the following things have to be true or no sound gets to the midi track:

* track is armed for recording
* monitoring is set to On or Auto
* track is not muted

Even if I solo the midi track, I still hear the dry mic sound.

In Reason, I have Audio Output 1 & 2 from the host patched to the External In of Objekt. Key Mode is Mono and Exciter and Engine levels are turned up.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
Dante, try to mimic these settings:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/i3qgi3mg ... oec91&dl=0

cheers

dandante

20 Aug 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Aug 2023

cheers
Thank you for sending that. Unfortunately that does not work for me. No sound comes into Reason/Objekt. I assume track 2 (and input 1) is where your microphone is coming in. Because its output goes to Master it does not reach Objekt. If I change it to go to track 1 I can excite Objekt with the microphone but again, I can't get rid of the dry microphone sound.

PhillipOrdonez

20 Aug 2023

dandante wrote:
20 Aug 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Aug 2023

cheers
Thank you for sending that. Unfortunately that does not work for me. No sound comes into Reason/Objekt. I assume track 2 (and input 1) is where your microphone is coming in. Because its output goes to Master it does not reach Objekt. If I change it to go to track 1 I can excite Objekt with the microphone but again, I can't get rid of the dry microphone sound.
Dante, look at this one. Notice how the mic track is off, so no audio goes out of it into the live master because the sidechain source is not post mixer. if it is post mixer in yours, select post fx or pre fx, either will work.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/99b1vsm3 ... l583v&dl=0

If you still have audio from mic after following these instructions exactly as outlined, you have monitoring set to ON on your soundcard, this would be dealt with in your soundcard settings, not in Live.

• Information