Record audio (punch in) hands free (map record button to sustain pedal)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
challism

14 Jun 2023

This is a little trick I use when I record. This also works for recording MIDI and automation (if targets are enabled.

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Quarmat
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2023

Cool trick indeed! Thank you for sharing

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2023

Great for quick pick-ups (punch in/out for a few notes), but wish it worked like the record button itself, staying down after engaging it. If you are punching in near the top of a song and intended to play out to the end, it can be tedious to have to focus on keeping your foot on the pedal until the end of the song (and problematic if your foot slips off). Plus it’s easier for me to punch out precisely on the beat when ‘pressing’ a button vs ‘releasing’ it, even less so when using your feet instead of your hands IMO.

One solution would be to use a toggle switch pedal for recording, but then you’d need to swap it out when wanting to punch.

But it’s better than nothing, and for that I thank you! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

ljekio

14 Jun 2023

you can also draw a CC64 (or any other controller, I tried to send a note, but the note does not turn off the recording when it ends itself) to the midi out device and with the output to the midi loopback cable, returning it to the transport panel in the same way as in the video. then it will turn on / off the recording when necessary.

challism

14 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2023
Great for quick pick-ups (punch in/out for a few notes),
Yeah, that's pretty much the best use of this technique.
selig wrote:
14 Jun 2023
If you are punching in near the top of a song and intended to play out to the end, it can be tedious to have to focus on keeping your foot on the pedal until the end of the song (and problematic if your foot slips off).
In this situation, I think just hitting the record button on the transport or the controller would be best. You're right, focusing on holding the pedal down the entire time isn't a great way of doing a long recording.
selig wrote:
14 Jun 2023
But it’s better than nothing, and for that I thank you! :)
I'm honored that you found it helpful.. or at least "better than nothing!" ha ha ha ;)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

crimsonwarlock

15 Jun 2023

Nice find.

If you have (or get) a dedicated DAW controller with transport controls, there might be a specific punch-pedal jack available on it. My Tascam US-2400 has it, and it latches the record button on the Tascam, and by that the record button in Reason.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2023

Nectar Pacer does it. Both momentary and toggle.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2023

Mmm, i've had a pedal more or less like this, don't know why your version makes you keep the pedal down...

I use a loopbe virtual midi cable, and the midi out device, and created a remote override on the record button in my default project for the keyboard key C-1.

It works but it isn't sample accurate so when you are punching in the same region, each punch generates a new q point...

I still wish reason had a normal punch in, and record modes global to midi and audio. Oh Well... :/

ljekio

15 Jun 2023

mcatalao wrote:
15 Jun 2023
I use a loopbe virtual midi cable, and the midi out device, and created a remote override on the record button in my default project for the keyboard key C-1.
When I tested this yesterday, I was able to turn on the recording by pressing the note, but after releasing the note, the recording did not turn off. Therefore, I began to try with controllers - it's less fast, but it was reliable.
And I would not synchronize with the bar where you need to start recording, but would do it a little earlier.
My problem is that I prefer the comp recording instead punch. Punch needs to be played right away, but I like to choose from different takes.
But I see a few situations where I prefer punch now. Thanks to this thread, it got me thinking.

selig
RE Developer

15 Jun 2023

ljekio wrote:
15 Jun 2023
mcatalao wrote:
15 Jun 2023
When I tested this yesterday, I was able to turn on the recording by pressing the note, but after releasing the note, the recording did not turn off. Therefore, I began to try with controllers - it's less fast, but it was reliable.
And I would not synchronize with the bar where you need to start recording, but would do it a little earlier.
My problem is that I prefer the comp recording instead punch. Punch needs to be played right away, but I like to choose from different takes.
But I see a few situations where I prefer punch now. Thanks to this thread, it got me thinking.
Punching in typically involves hearing a few bars before the punch while you play along to get ‘going’. Reason doesn’t allow this, with the only option for a punch being four clicks of the metronome with no actual music playing - boo!! :(

Both methods, recording multiple full takes and comping, and punching in/out, are extremely useful, as well as a third approach involving building a track from parts (see below). Although I must add that punching in/out is more useful to those trained/experienced in this approach with a solid grip on their instrument.

I would almost always punch with keys/drums/percussion because that’s how I’ve done it for decades. BUT, with guitar, where I’m a total klutz, I tend to build parts by recording all my individual chords/notes in smaller chunks I can actually play (sometimes each chord on it’s own). Then I trim and assemble the clips to create a reasonable facsimile of what an actual player would do in one or two takes.
I’m not a singer, but when producing/recording vocals I always prefer recording 3-5 takes and comping, especially for singers not experienced in the studio and punching in/out.
Selig Audio, LLC

ljekio

15 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
15 Jun 2023
I would almost always punch with keys/drums/percussion because that’s how I’ve done it for decades. BUT, with guitar, where I’m a total klutz, I tend to build parts by recording all my individual chords/notes in smaller chunks I can actually play (sometimes each chord on it’s own). Then I trim and assemble the clips to create a reasonable facsimile of what an actual player would do in one or two takes.
I’m not a singer, but when producing/recording vocals I always prefer recording 3-5 takes and comping, especially for singers not experienced in the studio and punching in/out.
Oh yes, its my ways in recording :)

motuscott

15 Jun 2023

All the work arounds
Track flodders anyones?
Just fond of complaining, I ain't going anywheres else soon

I've had that CodeMiester thingy in the spare USB port in my butthole for ages. No complaints

I'm baaaack mofos! Who's yer mommy now?
Reason+ 4eva

Mods!!

What's a bro gotta do to get banned around this joint.
Really, that's the best I got

Not mad, just disappointed

Hate to single him out but Plaamook seems to be a fella I could hang with
Him being underwater and unreachable,
like most of my ex girlfrens

[6 posts consolidated to one - moderators]
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

15 Jun 2023

Cheers, mod guys and gals
Old Motus fell into them cups
Nice to know you've got my back
I'm really not a bad fella once you've yadda yadda etc
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

mcatalao
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2023

ljekio wrote:
15 Jun 2023
mcatalao wrote:
15 Jun 2023
The idea is to press the note again. It works like a toggle button just like the buton works when you're pressing it with the mouse.

I have this trak configured on my template and i have 2 little blocks wirth the note, ineven painted them red and green, so red velvet is to start recording and green to stop. You dobt need to keep the key pressed.

ljekio

16 Jun 2023

mcatalao wrote:
16 Jun 2023
The idea is to press the note again. It works like a toggle button just like the buton works when you're pressing it with the mouse.
Now it is clear. Then if you do not press manually, but do automation, then using the CC will be more convenient, in my opinion.

• Information