Cool trick: How to record a sample back into the same instrument that is being sampled

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
challism

30 May 2023

Sampling for devices was introduced in Reason 6 (IIRC), but I never thought about sampling a device from itself back into its own sample bank (from and to the same device). But it is possible! You just have to click the button of the desired bank at the end of the recording (before you stop recording). So the desired back will be the last thing you press before you stop the recording. And Reason will put the newly recorded sample in that bank.

What do we call this? Self sampling?

BTW, I've got Mastering Section set up like this
ctrl room.jpg
ctrl room.jpg (119.62 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Quarmat
Competition Winner

31 May 2023

That French is frightening 😮 but the trick is super useful and fast! Thank you, wasn't aware of this feature !

dan_g

31 May 2023

thats pretty neat! thanks for that hack.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

challism

31 May 2023

Quarmat wrote:
31 May 2023
That French is frightening 😮 but the trick is super useful and fast! Thank you, wasn't aware of this feature !
My frightening French is a tribute (of sorts) to the French developer Inkphonik whose device (RX1200) I was using when I discovered this cool trick.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
31 May 2023
My frightening French is a tribute (of sorts) to the French developer Inkphonik whose device (RX1200) I was using when I discovered this cool trick.
I hope I did not sound rude, it was not my intention :)

French is very difficult for English speakers, very different vocal posture, let alone the 'R' sound.

It is also vice versa, Daft Punk had an awful English until I guess mid 00s 😂

challism

01 Jun 2023

Quarmat wrote:
01 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
31 May 2023
I hope I did not sound rude, it was not my intention :)

French is very difficult for English speakers, very different vocal posture, let alone the 'R' sound.

It is also vice versa, Daft Punk had an awful English until I guess mid 00s 😂
Not rude at all. My French is absolutely dreadful. I took it for 2 years in high school but spent most of the time looking out the window. I should note that the French in the video was spoken intentionally harsh for effect. Buy, yeah, it was frightening, nonetheless.

rgdaniel

01 Jun 2023

Outstanding, thanks!

• Information