Quantize - learned something new

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
robussc

25 Mar 2023

Something I’ve just become aware of: The Quantize button in the Transport uses the settings on the Tool Window! I’d forgotten that I’d added some small randomization to the Quantize in the tool window and later tried to quantize some bass using the transport and the notes kept jumping around slightly!

After thinking this was some unimaginable regression and manually tweaked the note positions, I went to the tool window later and lo and behold the random option had some value. Set that back to 0 and everything is fine.

I’ve always thought the two interfaces were separate!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

selig
RE Developer

26 Mar 2023

robussc wrote:
25 Mar 2023
Something I’ve just become aware of: The Quantize button in the Transport uses the settings on the Tool Window! I’d forgotten that I’d added some small randomization to the Quantize in the tool window and later tried to quantize some bass using the transport and the notes kept jumping around slightly!

After thinking this was some unimaginable regression and manually tweaked the note positions, I went to the tool window later and lo and behold the random option had some value. Set that back to 0 and everything is fine.

I’ve always thought the two interfaces were separate!
That one has ‘got’ me in the past too, when I set it to 50% quantize and forgot. I really prefer interfaces that don’t hid valuable/important information… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

26 Mar 2023

Yeah I've always said that if they could move the tool window items into collapsable layers in the sequencer toolbar, many Reason users would see them as new features.

They could probably at least fit the quantize amount in there now by making the quantize value smaller. I don't think that needs to be as large as other numbers like tempo and time position.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2023

Same
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

robussc

26 Mar 2023

joeyluck wrote:
26 Mar 2023
Yeah I've always said that if they could move the tool window items into collapsable layers in the sequencer toolbar, many Reason users would see them as new features.

They could probably at least fit the quantize amount in there now by making the quantize value smaller. I don't think that needs to be as large as other numbers like tempo and time position.
Yeah the tool window is really not helpful for how useful the tools themselves are. Long due for an overhaul.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

huggermugger

26 Mar 2023

Quantizing and other MIDI adjustments are a pain in the ass to implement in Reason, and in many cases, destructive. The Tools window is clunky. The ReGroove Mixer is clunky. Give me Logic any day. All kinds of non-destructive control, easily viewed and edited.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.37.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.37.51 AM.png (60.76 KiB) Viewed 684 times

selig
RE Developer

26 Mar 2023

Plus 1 to non-destructive MIDI editing.
I’d like to see a similar approach as is shown above in Logic (and others).
As much as I like to ‘commit’ as a general rule in music production, one of the most fun things with MIDI for me has always been the manipulation of the data. I’ve been using computer sequencing since almost day one, and seems like even the early apps had features missing in Reason like individual track looping, triggering ‘clips’ from a key or note, algorithmic selection (select every 2 of 3 events if velocity is greater than 74 and etc), and of course non-destructive quantize etc.

The ability to explore different possibilities without loosing the original is a very common and effective creative exploration for me as I suspect it is for others. It would be a welcome addition to Reason IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

WOO

28 Mar 2023

I didn't know that either. Thanks

• Information