So you want to sidechain?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Aosta

08 Mar 2023

Came across an excellent video by Mr Chimspanner on various sidechaining methods in R12 (and any version really).
I thought the use of the sweeper was fantastic :thumbup:

Tend the flame

deeplink
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2023

I only came across this video sometime ago.

I've used Sweeper as a ducker for a while, but I thought the use of putting it as a send, mixed with an inverted signal, was pure genius.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2023

deeplink wrote:
08 Mar 2023
I only came across this video sometime ago.

I've used Sweeper as a ducker for a while, but I thought the use of putting it as a send, mixed with an inverted signal, was pure genius.
This is called Send Ducking, we’ve been doing it in Reason for many years now, and a great way (maybe the only way?) to duck multiple channels by various amounts.
Shout out to Sweeper as envelope follower/trigger, the best in Reason currently IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

deeplink
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
08 Mar 2023
This is called Send Ducking....
Good to know, thanks!

A bit off topic, but do you implement the use of mixing the inverted signal for any other Send purposes?

i.e creating an "insert" out of a Send.

I was trying to think of some, but I can only imagine using with distortion perhaps.

Also, am I correct in thinking this method is better following the export of the stems - as the mix engineer will always have a clean/non-sidechained version of the track?

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2023

deeplink wrote:
08 Mar 2023
selig wrote:
08 Mar 2023
This is called Send Ducking....
Good to know, thanks!

A bit off topic, but do you implement the use of mixing the inverted signal for any other Send purposes?

I was trying to think of some, but I can only imagine using with distortion perhaps.

Also, am I correct in thinking this method is better following the export of the stems - as the mix engineer will always have a clean/non-sidechained version of the track?
Sounds interesting, but I’m not following the insert out of a send example?
Selig Audio, LLC

deeplink
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
08 Mar 2023
deeplink wrote:
08 Mar 2023

Good to know, thanks!

Sounds interesting, but I’m not following the insert out of a send example?
Sorry that was a bit out of no where, the thinking is/was;

So typically, you would place a pump/sidechain effect as an insert - you only hear the affected signal.
Of course with sends, the result is hearing a mix of the original signal (source) with the affected (return) signal.

In the Send Sidechain example - the additional inverted signal inside the Send effect cancels out the source signal.
Thus - in my mind - having a Send Effect behave in the same way as if it was an Insert.

I'm just wondering, beside Sidechaining, when else something like this may be useful.

• Information