Combinator programming - switching between 20 instruments with one Combi knob

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
vi ta lee

06 Mar 2023

Hello guys,

I need the help of Reason freaks that know the combinator. I'm a Reason 12 user, and I am looking for a solution.

For example, I got a combinator with 20 mimic samplers. In my case I need mimic samplers only. I need route cables somehow so that on the front panel, I will use one knob to switch sounds. Maybe it's something like a solo/mute function to change the sound; I am still looking for a solution if you got ideas about how to do it. Please let me know.

challism

06 Mar 2023

Welcome to ReasonTalk!

I couldn't figure out how to do it with just one knob. This solution of mine requires an A/B switch between two 12-way switches. You use the big knob to switch between the 12 channels (actually set to 10 channels for your specification). You use the wheel to switch between the two different 12-channel switches; wheel up is 1-10, wheel down is 11-20. Just hook up your 20 Mimics to the backs of those two 12-way switches (10 Mimics to the first, 10 Mimics to the second). The wheel could be replaced with a button, if you like that better.

Requires Pongasoft A/B Switch and A/B 12 In Switch (both FREE - thanks you Yan!)
24 way switch - one knob.zip
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
24 way switch.jpg
24 way switch.jpg (157.46 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

deeplink
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2023

vi ta lee wrote:
06 Mar 2023
Hello guys,

I need the help of Reason freaks that know the combinator. I'm a Reason 12 user, and I am looking for a solution.

For example, I got a combinator with 20 mimic samplers. In my case I need mimic samplers only. I need route cables somehow so that on the front panel, I will use one knob to switch sounds. Maybe it's something like a solo/mute function to change the sound; I am still looking for a solution if you got ideas about how to do it. Please let me know.
Hi, one way I have done this is simply sending all devices to a submixer e.g The 14:2 Mixer
In your case you will need at least two of them.

The tedious part is the mapping;

Both Level and Mute of each Channel of the Mixer(s) device is mapped to the same Knob.
Then you carefully set the Range for each parameter so that the next Channel unmutes itself, while the previous channel Level gets set to 0.

If you have 20 Devices, then 127/20= approx. 6.
So every 6 values, you should set the mute and level range to get an equal distribution.

I think this is the simplest way to do it, without using any other Third Party REs - however this method is resource hungry as all devices will essentially be playing at the same time (with only one audible at any moment)
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

vi ta lee

07 Mar 2023

Thank you for the fast response. My problem is that the buttons of solo and mute allow programming 0 and 1 only. I thought to connect them via cv to LFO level knob and program the knob on main panel.

Easy way to use just two sounds, but I am working on one big module that allows me to load many sounds and switch between them. And yes all sounds are going to play same time, but every time one plays solo, the rest is muted.

vi ta lee

07 Mar 2023

Thank you for the tool but my idea find solution with stock tools.
challism wrote:
06 Mar 2023
Welcome to ReasonTalk!

I couldn't figure out how to do it with just one knob. This solution of mine requires an A/B switch between two 12-way switches. You use the big knob to switch between the 12 channels (actually set to 10 channels for your specification). You use the wheel to switch between the two different 12-channel switches; wheel up is 1-10, wheel down is 11-20. Just hook up your 20 Mimics to the backs of those two 12-way switches (10 Mimics to the first, 10 Mimics to the second). The wheel could be replaced with a button, if you like that better.

Requires Pongasoft A/B Switch and A/B 12 In Switch (both FREE - thanks you Yan!)
24 way switch.jpg

vi ta lee

07 Mar 2023

By the way, is the way to program buttons on main panel that allow me to play one button same time if I going to click on another one - the one that was turned on goes to mute.

Of course, a simple way is to add 20 buttons on the panel and turn on and off when I want to switch a sound, but I am still looking for perfection and how to program one knob to change the sound.)))

visheshl

07 Mar 2023

deeplink wrote:
06 Mar 2023
vi ta lee wrote:
06 Mar 2023
Hello guys,

Hi, one way I have done this is simply sending all devices to a submixer e.g The 14:2 Mixer
In your case you will need at least two of them.

The tedious part is the mapping;

Both Level and Mute of each Channel of the Mixer(s) device is mapped to the same Knob.
Then you carefully set the Range for each parameter so that the next Channel unmutes itself, while the previous channel Level gets set to 0.

If you have 20 Devices, then 127/20= approx. 6.
So every 6 values, you should set the mute and level range to get an equal distribution.

I think this is the simplest way to do it, without using any other Third Party REs - however this method is resource hungry as all devices will essentially be playing at the same time (with only one audible at any moment)
Is this possible with combi 1, or do you need combi 2 for this ?
This could solve a lot of my problems if possible with combi 1.
Also cant enable disable switches be mapped similarly so that only one device is active?
RTFM time i guess

Could create sound modules with this approach with your favourite sounds at a flick of a knob...
Last edited by visheshl on 07 Mar 2023, edited 1 time in total.

_andreypetr_

07 Mar 2023

vi ta lee wrote:
07 Mar 2023
By the way, is the way to program buttons on main panel that allow me to play one button same time if I going to click on another one - the one that was turned on goes to mute.

Of course, a simple way is to add 20 buttons on the panel and turn on and off when I want to switch a sound, but I am still looking for perfection and how to program one knob to change the sound.)))
Combinator 2 is still very limited. Reason Studios some time ago said that they'll add radio buttons to it, but I don't believe that will come in the near future. Just know it and maybe you'll make something that could be replaced with radio buttons easily when it comes out. Now the workaround is to use extra rack extension for that. I'll recommend Pepin Hazan's Tinker. You can program any behavior you can imagine there.

vi ta lee

07 Mar 2023

Thank you for the activity, guys. I still try to think how to trick or route the cables to do this switch. I need to look at off device function, but I think it's still 0 and 1. Maybe you got ideas on how to cv. I am thinking about LFO as my central knob but how to connect all devices and do this switch maybe with a mixers. I tried find solution for a hours still there a limitation that not allow to program it. But I think just need to find right devices for this.

_andreypetr_

07 Mar 2023

vi ta lee wrote:
07 Mar 2023
Thank you for the activity, guys. I still try to think how to trick or route the cables to do this switch. I need to look at off device function, but I think it's still 0 and 1. Maybe you got ideas on how to cv. I am thinking about LFO as my central knob but how to connect all devices and do this switch maybe with a mixers. I tried find solution for a hours still there a limitation that not allow to program it. But I think just need to find right devices for this.
I named the best device for it. Tinker

vi ta lee

07 Mar 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
07 Mar 2023
vi ta lee wrote:
07 Mar 2023
Thank you for the activity, guys. I still try to think how to trick or route the cables to do this switch. I need to look at off device function, but I think it's still 0 and 1. Maybe you got ideas on how to cv. I am thinking about LFO as my central knob but how to connect all devices and do this switch maybe with a mixers. I tried find solution for a hours still there a limitation that not allow to program it. But I think need to find the proper devices for this.
I named the best device for it. Tinker
The thing that I'm working on is the module, not just for myself. That's why I need stock tools only. I can't be sure that some extra RE be removed later, for example.

jam-s

07 Mar 2023

I think this scenario is exactly the use case for the free devices from Le Note Live.

A combination of multiple Receive Notes (one for each Mimic) and a single Select Program should do the trick when simply mapping the select knob to a knob on the combinator.

challism

07 Mar 2023

vi ta lee wrote:
07 Mar 2023
Thank you for the tool but my idea find solution with stock tools.
challism wrote:
06 Mar 2023
Welcome to ReasonTalk!

24 way switch.jpg
Those are both free REs, so why wouldn't you just download and use them? It's the easiest solution I can think of. If you aren't willing to use those REs, you can probably use the 14:2 mixer with some clever programming, as Deeplink stated earlier, but that will still require using two of them and switching back and forth (you could program a Thor to do the switching).
jam-s wrote:
07 Mar 2023
I think this scenario is exactly the use case for the free devices from Le Note Live.

A combination of multiple Receive Notes (one for each Mimic) and a single Select Program should do the trick when simply mapping the select knob to a knob on the combinator.

I just read this post from jam-s, and it looks like a great way to fulfill this need. I don't really know how to use most of the Le Note devices, they remain a mystery, but this looks like a great use. Le Note devices are all FREE, too. I'm curious why you are limiting yourself to stock devices to solve this problem? There are solutions to many things in Reason, but many of them require the use of REs.

_andreypetr_

07 Mar 2023

If only stock devices, you can think a bit and find solutions using Thor matrix panel

vi ta lee

07 Mar 2023

I find the solution after a few hours of experiments. Little bit of a lot to the program, but it's possible to do as I imagined. But I will check Thor, too; maybe there some more simple ways to program it.

Thank you all for your time and tips.

challism

07 Mar 2023

jam-s wrote:
07 Mar 2023
Le Note
Thanks for posting that video. I see how I can use Le Note Select Program to control Receive Notes. I have always used Receive Notes as a way to turn off/block MIDI signals in Player stacks, but this Select Program RE adds a lot more control. So thanks again for posting. I really need to figure out how to use the rest of Le Note's REs. I think Poohbear/Carly has some tutorials that cover them.
vi ta lee wrote:
07 Mar 2023
I find the solution after a few hours of experiments. Little bit of a lot to the program, but it's possible to do as I imagined. But I will check Thor, too; maybe there some more simple ways to program it.

Thank you all for your time and tips.
Why dont you share the solution to figured out? It would be nice to see what you ended up doing and it might help others on this forum, now and in the future. Thanks

robussc

07 Mar 2023

I’m confused as to why you need 20 switchable Mimic samplers? What’s the use case?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

jam-s

07 Mar 2023

challism wrote:
07 Mar 2023
I don't really know how to use most of the Le Note devices, they remain a mystery, but this looks like a great use. Le Note devices are all FREE, too.
Those devices are really great helper modules and actually not that hard to use/understand. Most of the confusion comes from the description on the shop pages which might be difficult to understand due to a language barrier (it - en), I suppose. Also the videos usually showcase rather complex (full-blown) setups instead of minimal ones.

vi ta lee

08 Mar 2023

challism wrote:
07 Mar 2023

Why don't you share the solution to figure it out? It would be nice to see what you ended up doing, and it might help others on this forum, now and in the future. Thanks
I find two ways to do it.

1. I programmed the mute, solo, and volume of the mixer (I am going to connect all my samplers to the mixer). The trick is the source range of each knob or fader; you activate it when you want to switch without manipulating the minimum and maximum of the knob. I automate the volume so that the minimum and maximum are the same. In my case, it is 100, so I don't get the fade-in effect.

How does it work?

The volume turns up -> solo the channel when I turn the knob on the second channel parameters - the first channel mutes.

*Double-mute automation did a few problems. So I find this solution with volume.

** extra thing trick. You need do switch in the programming of the buttons when you want them starts 0 and when you need them 1.

2. same idea, but I can add EQ, Imager, or any other effect where presented ON / Off switch. I am still testing it. I can still manipulate the mixer's or instrument's volume, for example.

The question that may some people asked why do i need it at all?

I did really good tool to do pitching and flow tricks for hard dance kick (hardstyle, hardcore). If you are familiar with the genre, you can understand why it's not too easy do on the fly and fast. Even today we got VST like Nimble Kick that is perfect one. But I'm the reason user, so I want it with the tools of Reason. And yes, I did it and loved the result. But I thought, why not take it to the next level and build one big tool to use many elements to switch of attack or bass sound on the fly and not go to the sampler and load sound - it all takes time. That's why I want to add many own sounds

jam-s

08 Mar 2023

It would be really interesting to to see/hear it in action.

dioxide

08 Mar 2023

You could also do it with a single Combinator knob. Map a small range to Receive Notes On for one device and Off for all the others. Repeat for all devices.

vi ta lee

08 Mar 2023

I gonna try it out. Thank you.

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2023

dioxide wrote:
08 Mar 2023
You could also do it with a single Combinator knob. Map a small range to Receive Notes On for one device and Off for all the others. Repeat for all devices.
Have you actually done this? I believe there is an issue, which the OP called the “double mute automation” issue above (if I understood correctly).
The problem is two fold, the main one is the fact that you can turn ON a function this way but not turn it off. So as you turn up a knob assigned this way you just keep turning voices/devices on but they don’t turn off.
Another issue is a rotary mapped to a switch acts a bit odd. If you assign a range of 1-25 to Receives Notes it doesn’t actually turn on until the end of that range. Just makes things a bit odd to try to control, even if the ‘mute’ issue above wasn’t present…
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

08 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
08 Mar 2023
dioxide wrote:
08 Mar 2023
Have you actually done this? I believe there is an issue, which the OP called the “double mute automation” issue above (if I understood correctly).
The problem is two fold, the main one is the fact that you can turn ON a function this way but not turn it off. So as you turn up a knob assigned this way you just keep turning voices/devices on but they don’t turn off.
Another issue is a rotary mapped to a switch acts a bit odd. If you assign a range of 1-25 to Receives Notes it doesn’t actually turn on until the end of that range. Just makes things a bit odd to try to control, even if the ‘mute’ issue above wasn’t present…
You're right, this method doesn't work. I just ran into this this morning where I wanted an effect to Bypass between Combi control values 58-70 and be On for other values. Unfortunately this isn't possible and the same applies for this.

I've run into a few situations recently where better and double Combi mapping would be useful. This is one them.

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2023

One of the issues concerns how switches are mapped to rotaries in the Combinator, because the 'switch' happens at the very top (127) of the rotation. So even if you limit the control to a small range, say from 0-10, the switch isn't 'switched' until you hit "10" (the new 'top' of the control). So for one thing, the lowest value you can switch at is 1, not zero (zero will always be off no matter what you do in the Programmer).

Using Thor you can build a threshold switch that allows you to move the switch value to other values, which would be one possible solution. But what remains is the binary function where across the range of a control you only have two states. For what we're trying to do we need THREE states, off, then on, then back off as you keep increasing.
I, and others, have made suggestions many times for ways to address this. Mine was to include a 'curve' mapping interface in the Combinator where you can map input to output responses. This would allow many things like nonlinear controls (useful for 'auto' gain correction as saturation drive is increased, etc). But it would also allow you to map any combination of on/off states (or anything in between) to any position of the control. An extreme case would be a control that switches on for all odd values and off for all even values across the 0-127 range - not sure there's an actual use case for this, but it would be possible). Maybe one day…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information